ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tool boxes/chests to take to track/race days...

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Looking at getting a new chest on rollers to take to track/race days. Gonna be kept in the garage and loaded into the van for outings so I can keep everything I need in one place, knowing I've got everything and keep small spares like disks/pads etc in. What have people got for this? I like the look of these Beta ones that you can add too but mega expensive. Show us what you got? (bit of a tool fetish).

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 14.50.27.png

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I use one of these for tools, pretty certain it came from B&Q
Screenshot_20170529-153312.png

And then a big open tub to carry liquids/torque wrench/anything heavy

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Unless your doing an engine change, I would just take a bag of spanners, jack, fluids etc. If you needed anything else I'm sure random fellow track dayers would help

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I started my apprenticeship with a Teng Tools box. Should do the trick for you if you can get hold of one.

for our track days we take a 200pc halfords set, impact gun, and cable ties and a few spare disc's, pads and a extra set of wheels/tyres (Which don't fit in a tool box) if you need much more than that, you aren't going to fix it at the track side

How do those of you who drive to trackdays in the clio get on? I took all my wheels, tools, jack, jerry can in the back of the 172 to my last trackday, but was then left with the issue of having to leave all my stuff in a pile while I was on track.

Put a chain through the wheels and toolkit and locked it together for peace of mind, but was thinking about getting a lockable container to keep it all together...

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
How do those of you who drive to trackdays in the clio get on? I took all my wheels, tools, jack, jerry can in the back of the 172 to my last trackday, but was then left with the issue of having to leave all my stuff in a pile while I was on track.

Put a chain through the wheels and toolkit and locked it together for peace of mind, but was thinking about getting a lockable container to keep it all together...

When I drove I took a torque wrench and a pressure gauge.

How are you going to lift it in the van?

Some sort of ramp or empty the tools out, lift in and refill? It won't be light.

I personally just load a 150pc Halfords socket set and a sturdy plastic container which I pop a breaker bar, torque wrench, spare plugs/leads/pads/fluids etc in with a jack and foot pump alongside a few hand tools such as a hammer, vice grips and pliers/cutters.

Along with some tape, threadlock and cable ties - you can pretty much tackle anything.

You'll have a van whereas all the above goes in my 205 boot with 3 jerry cans!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

I normally book a garage to dump things in and change wheels/fix things, that said I've seen a lot of people do as you did and just leave things there.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
When I've gone we just book a garage or two and if anyone asks to leave stuff in there, no issues. If stuff went missing we just blame each other. No problemo

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
It's alright. You can tell it's only £150 and it's not as nice as my Halfords professional one. I've got the 200 Halfords advanced set. Bought the spare trays and cut them down to size. Works well I think.

IMG_3988.JPG

is a roller cabinet not abit OTT for a track day?... ive got a plastic storage tub for fluids and spare sensors and pads and the likes and ive got a small hand held tool box for the spanners and bits and piece.. ive got to drive the car to the track tho

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Iv got a plastic storage tub for spares, some fluids, fuses etc. Also got impact gun, Bahco 1/2drive socket set, jack and screwdriver set
Then Iv a Plano tool bag with spanners, and pliers, small drivers, prybars, allen keys etc in all the side pockets so its well organised.
I made it up for taking to sprints / hillclimbs and Iv found that even when working on the car at home I habe most things needed in my bag and hardly ever need to go to my toolbox and never empty the bag as everything is there to grab
The plano bags are really well built, use one at work on a daily basis and often their loaded to the max with bigger gear than you would ever use at home and cope brilliantly

Attachments

• IMG_0260.PNG
    IMG_0260.PNG
    309.6 KB · Views: 183

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Few track visits Ive done in last couple months, havent seen any others with tools. Have to stash my box in a friendly vehicle, or leave unattended in a paddock.
Somebody said to me at Brands last week "Oh- youve got some tools" and seemed to be friendly on the basis i had bothered to bring tools

Havent seen many working on cars at sessioned events either

Full day open pit be diffrent i expect

I'm sure I have one of those at work. American pro, I didn't know it was sealey. It'll be fine for occasional use/carrying track parts around but they're not too well made for constant/heavy use.
It's not really, it's a re-brand job, not sure who actually makes them though! I have one of their top boxes in orange and it's really decent for the money. Much better than the Halfords non-pro/other crap at that level. In fact it feels exactly as good as the Halfords Pro range.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201244145718?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=500439516248&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
It's not really, it's a re-brand job, not sure who actually makes them though! I have one of their top boxes in orange and it's really decent for the money. Much better than the Halfords non-pro/other crap at that level. In fact it feels exactly as good as the Halfords Pro range.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201244145718?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=500439516248&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

They look decent!

I found when I went into work mine is actually a US pro box, not American pro. So, would not recommend us pro for proper use.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
At home I have 3 of these Cocraft bottom boxes and 2 top boxes and for the money they are great, gas ram lid ball bearing draws really good quality, they normally have a code for 10% off and a couple of times a year it's buy the bottom box get the top free with 10% off.
http://m.clasohlson.com/uk/Cocraft-Pro-Edition-Tool-Cabinet/40-7818-1

http://m.clasohlson.com/uk/Cocraft-PRO-Edition-Tool-Chest/40-7819-1

All I take to trackdays though is a jcb box from b&q
http://www.diy.com/departments/jcb-22-medium-tool-box/995722_BQ.prd