ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Too much oil?

205 GTI, Clio 182
Hi guys,

I overfilled my oil pretty badly. I took it down to local, and they drained it using a pump (straight out of dipstick). Yet today when I checked it after a short drive to get it up to temperature, it was still slightly over.

Should I be concerned?

205 GTI, Clio 182
Define slightly? Also, were you on level ground?
1.5cm over the mark. We drained about a L (yeah seriously - I'm not normally as thick) and it was below the mark slightly.

Now it's about .5cm over when hot.

Yes level ground on all accounts

02' PH1 172
You should always check your oil levels when its cold. If when its cold, its at the right level, then your fine afaik

205 GTI, Clio 182
Okay cool. I will drain it as soon as possible back to normal levels.

I haven't noticed any change in the way it drives if it means anything.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
You're not turning the engine off then checking the level right away are you?

You should always check your oil levels when its cold. If when its cold, its at the right level, then your fine afaik

^^^^ this! when you have just driven your car and you check it what you have to remember is the engine internals have chucked oil everywhere inside the engine block so you will not get an accurate reading!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
From minimum to maximum on the dipstick is usually about one litre in volume. If you're slightly over I wouldn't worry.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Mine was a few mm over on the dipstick a few weeks ago when i did the change, its now gone yo normal leven, doesnt the breather pipe get rid of any extra? Or it will just burn away
Nothing to worry about unless its loads over