ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tom Tom Mobile....

Meg 225 with cup packs.
Does anyone on here use Tom Tom on their mobiles?
If so:
1.What's it like?

2.Does it work that well?

3.Does it do the speed scamera database thingy?

4. Can someone give it to me for free or tell me who might have it for free please? ;);) nudge, nudge!

P.S I've got an Nokia N70.:approve:

Clio 182
you will need to buy a gps reciever, i use it on my PDA and i think it is great.

Works excellently re calculates routes if you go the wrong way or decide to just go down a different route. The speed cameras are good aswell, although you have to keep it up to date.

dont think you are allowed to ask for it free :) but search net it is on there (I know because that is where i got mine from).

Meg 225 with cup packs.
Woodentop said:
you will need to buy a gps reciever, i use it on my PDA and i think it is great.

Works excellently re calculates routes if you go the wrong way or decide to just go down a different route. The speed cameras are good aswell, although you have to keep it up to date.

dont think you are allowed to ask for it free :) but search net it is on there (I know because that is where i got mine from).

To be honest i've d/l the tom tom files i need but i can't seem to get it to put the maps in the right files on my phone just wondered if anyone else has done it and if it was as hard for them as it is for me.
BTW i didn't know you weren't allowed to ask for stuff for free, next time i'll offer to pay.;)

Clio 182
you will need a high speed sd card or whatever memory your phone takes, as the map files are big!.

Once you have a card you will need to just copy the folder containing all of the files,cfgs,and poi's to the card keeping all file names in tact.

Meg 225 with cup packs.
I've got a 1gig card and i've tried all what you've just said, it doesn't want to know. The actual Tom Tom program works but trying to get the maps to work is a right pain. Oh well i'll keep searching:S

Meg 225 with cup packs.
daze said:
think you need a card writer to transfer the files.

Why? It shouldn't make much difference. I've never had a problem putting anything else on the phone.

Meg 225 with cup packs.
Woodentop said:
what error do you get? and make sure the card is empty before putting the map on.

I don't actually get an error of sorts it just doesn't detect the map when i open the Tom Tom program.

Clio 182
and nothing else? I would say find someone you know that has a working map card and borrow it. I used to used compact flash & mmc cards but they are slower than SD cards. On the first load up it will take a while to load the map because of the size of it and the speed of the media.

Meg 225 with cup packs.
Are you saying the map and the poi's and stuff need to be on an empty card? Then when you want to use Tom Tom on your phone you slot that card in your phone, so in effect you've got it stored on an completely seperate card!:S

ant

yep.
from the tomtom site.....

Part 2: Using a memory card reader/writer.

You cannot use Microsoft ActiveSync® or the Nokia PC Suite, you must use a memory card reader/writer to update the application.

Meg 225 with cup packs.
daze said:
from the tomtom site.....

Part 2: Using a memory card reader/writer.

You cannot use Microsoft ActiveSync® or the Nokia PC Suite, you must use a memory card reader/writer to update the application.

Is that so? I'll have to get ordering then, they're cheap as chips nowadays. Cheers.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
What size is the the file size for TomTom 5 for a mobile . Ive seen loads of different sizes on the net for downloading . I downloaded one for my mate that was 232mb .

Haven't tried it yet as he has to buy an memory card

Meg 225 with cup packs.
MRBILLYUK said:
What size is the the file size for TomTom 5 for a mobile . Ive seen loads of different sizes on the net for downloading . I downloaded one for my mate that was 232mb .

Haven't tried it yet as he has to buy an memory card

The actual Tom Tom program is fairly small about 3-4mb, it's the maps and all the other bits that are hefty. GB map is about 100mb:eek:

Meg 225 with cup packs.
I haven't got a GPS receiver yet, would that make a difference to the program not finding the maps when i start it?

BMW M135i
No it just won't be able to find your location, will still work just fine.
I've played about extensively with tt5m on both symbian and windows mobile and you need a card reader theres no other way to do it. Its very easy to put on symbian, windows on the other hand is a bit more fun.

Meg 225 with cup packs.
bmh.01 said:
No it just won't be able to find your location, will still work just fine.
I've played about extensively with tt5m on both symbian and windows mobile and you need a card reader theres no other way to do it. Its very easy to put on symbian, windows on the other hand is a bit more fun.

Getting a card reader today, i may be back tonight for more advice so be warned.;)

Meg 225 with cup packs.
Right, i've got the maps on so all i need now is the a bluetooth gps receiver for my nokia n70. Anyone recommend me a cheapish good one? BTW cheers for all your help lads.:)

6/468 17poo
just to let people know ive got this too and installed it using nokia pc suite to my phone mem card and it works an absolute treat, u dont need a reader!!unless ive defied the laws of physics!!!

Anyone got germany maps yet for it????

This programme works the tits on n70 and never drops signal with the BT GPS receiver!!easy to use too

Ryan

BMW M135i
mintblue said:
Cheers i'll order one now. I take it they work ok in the clio windscreen 'square'?
Would have thought so, though mines an early dynamique without the auto lights/wipers and the heat refective windscreen. I usually put it in the storage tub thing about the clock and thats right below the square in the coating would have thought it'll work fine there.

beatjunkie said:
just to let people know ive got this too and installed it using nokia pc suite to my phone mem card and it works an absolute treat, u dont need a reader!!unless ive defied the laws of physics!!!

Anyone got germany maps yet for it????

This programme works the tits on n70 and never drops signal with the BT GPS receiver!!easy to use too

Ryan

I've never managed to get it to work without using a card reader, must be doing something different maybe who knows, is handy to have a reader for when you want to put music onto the phone or get pictures/videos off.

I've got all the europe maps (totals to about 2gb), if you want drop me a pm and i'm sure we can sort something out. Also have all the files for full 7-digit postcode searching too.

Meg 225 with cup packs.
I take it the POI's and the postcode folders are just dropped into the Tom Tom folder on the memory card? Or are they .exe files?

Citroen DS3 DSport
mintblue said:
Cheers i'll order one now. I take it they work ok in the clio windscreen 'square'?

Works perfectly as I have the very same receiver bought on ebay. The camera database can be installed easily although it is no longer free. £19 for a year isn't alot of money though :)

BMW M135i
mintblue said:
I take it the POI's and the postcode folders are just dropped into the Tom Tom folder on the memory card? Or are they .exe files?

The POIs go in the Great-Britian-Map folder, the *.postal file needs to go in a folder called zip in the root of the mmc card.

Meg 225 with cup packs.
bmh.01 said:
The POIs go in the Great-Britian-Map folder, the *.postal file needs to go in a folder called zip in the root of the mmc card.

Cool, i know the one. Cheers.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I got these additional voices and some of them are quite funny:

Sarah Michelle Gellar
Marilyn Monroe
Dr Evil
Michael Caine
Kim Cattrall
Tony Blair
Knight Rider - KITT
HRH The Queen
George Dubya Bush
R2D2 - Star Wars
Arnold Swarzenegger
Austin Powers
Clint Eastwood
Darth Vader
Homer Simpson
Joanna Lumley
Lady Newsreader
Ozzy Osbourne (Bleeped)
Ozzy Osbourne (Swearing)
Patrick Stewart
Sean Connery
Sharon Osbourne
Yoda
Andy Siddell
Justin Moorhouse
Liz Whitaker
Robot
Stephen Hawking
John_Cleese (Metres & Yards)

Meg 225 with cup packs.
sneeks said:
I got these additional voices and some of them are quite funny:

Sarah Michelle Gellar
Marilyn Monroe
Dr Evil
Michael Caine
Kim Cattrall
Tony Blair
Knight Rider - KITT
HRH The Queen
George Dubya Bush
R2D2 - Star Wars
Arnold Swarzenegger
Austin Powers
Clint Eastwood
Darth Vader
Homer Simpson
Joanna Lumley
Lady Newsreader
Ozzy Osbourne (Bleeped)
Ozzy Osbourne (Swearing)
Patrick Stewart
Sean Connery
Sharon Osbourne
Yoda
Andy Siddell
Justin Moorhouse
Liz Whitaker
Robot
Stephen Hawking
John_Cleese (Metres & Yards)

Cool, my nipper will like the Star Wars voices. I think i might have them voices in a folder somewhere.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Which version of the GB maps are you using? I'm currently trying to source v605 to replace v562.

BMW M135i
If you manage to get hold of either of the later map versions then let me know where you got them from if you wouldn't mind, the ones i've got are a bit out of date. Tries to send me the wrong way round the one way system in town :S.

Meg 225 with cup packs.
bmh.01 said:
If you manage to get hold of either of the later map versions then let me know where you got them from if you wouldn't mind, the ones i've got are a bit out of date. Tries to send me the wrong way round the one way system in town :S.

I can give you a link to a very good phone forum if you like but i don't know if i can post it on here (their's not much stuff on there you have to pay for).