ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

picture or it ain't true.......lol

I'll drive down and pick it up Thursday...tomorrow. As long as I can blag a pool car, bit of a long cycle otherwise. I'll bring said oil cooler too, to be on the safe side.

Oh yeh...forgot...thanks!!!

Last edited:
Ripped my hand to bits this weekend, working outside on the Cup, not too bad considering the OAT and the snow that fell.

Bottled out of fitting the solid state cut engine off switches and GSI to fit...works a treat....I can see epic fails whilst driving if I don't position the inside cut off switch in the right place though....Hmmmm.

Got the 3rd centre braking light wired up (out of the brake light circuit) with a switch, as the bad weather light, also had a feed put in to supply power for an aux device (camera) up on the roll cage.

Been messing in the engine bay too...relocated the ECU, took me an age to work out that the top half of the ECU cover just pulls off. Krypton factor...could see some screws but the access holes were all blocked up...no way was I texting for help....! The ECU is now fixed on the upper gearbox mount surround.

Fitted the single wiper stuff, got it parked vertical at the moment, works good though not sure if I should have it parked vertical as it sort of indicates\draws attention straight away...knob or there's something to watch here...not sure which yet. May just park it horizontal and avoid the issue...lol.

Moved the coolant header tank a bit to the left, then had to take all the scuttle panels, wiper stuff of again, as thought I'd caught a wire whilst drilling the new screw hole. Turns out I had....but just caught the loom tape...sigh of relief there. Put it all back and attached the header tank in its new place. Closed the bonnet....another near fail...5mm clearance to the header tank cap.....a bonnet strengthening rib now sitting over the tank cap.

Moving the header tank made room for the 2ltr catch tank, fitted that, in between the coolant tank and power steering header tank and have just the pipes to connect and a filter\breather to source and fit.

Replaced the standard air box with a MK 1 one (off Cliosport) though omitted to get a pipe so I can mount it end on straight to the TB, any one point me to one or a web site where I can get one? Don't need a bend or the such like. Went to run the air ducting to the new air box and found the ducting I bought wasn't that flexible...sending back and getting some more flexible stuff.

Got some ducting for the fog light surrounds(brake ducts) and found that to be too big so sending that back and also it was of the same inflexible stuff anyway.

Didn't get round to fitting the oil cooler, got a seal from Dan 519, also got one of the bloke that I bought the cooler from, finally sent in the post. Amazing what a PayPal\eBay claim will do. Got all the coolant pipes\ connectors ready so will get that fitted this week- Sat morning then it's time for the Cup to go to Dan's @ 519 for some bits and bobs.

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
Busy boy then,we were at it all day Sat as well,bloomin freezing brrrrrrrrr.

\got lots of little bits done,and the oil cooler,looks quite neat when its all in.

Keep up the good progress.

Busy boy then,we were at it all day Sat as well,bloomin freezing brrrrrrrrr.

\got lots of little bits done,and the oil cooler,looks quite neat when its all in.

Keep up the good progress.

Cheers Tony I can see a light at the end now, are there any torque settings for the cooler centre spindle? What did you do for a leak test, fill\top up with oil then monitor, enging running?

Be a good trip out when it's ready....

Got some pipe ofcuts I can sort out for you to mount the airbox Pete

Ok...I'll leave it for now as guess you'll have to remove the air box and re-fit to do you stuff any way...thanks again.

I just did it up Tony tight, seems ok.

220px-Garry_Moore_Tony_the_Tiger_1955.jpg

Which one is you then?

Just as well it snowed again last night (9th Feb) as I asked my mate (garage\mechanic owner) if I could use some floor space...fair bit planned to do and still only got about 30% of the jobs done....

Thought I'd start with fitting my rear (Pure Motorsports) 1 degree camber shims......I'd have been well stuck if I'd attempted to fit them outside my house.

RearCambershims.jpg

Had to use an oxyacetylene torch on all the 8 screws and nuts as after 10 years of not being touched they would only move a little bit. I wanted to remove the rear suspension but my mate was in there getting the nuts red hot whilst I was holding the A5 size bit of metal sheet against the rear springs.....worked and TBH there was no heat transfer to the rear springs at all... which surprised me to say the least. Other than his help with the torch did the whole job myself and if I need to add a shim or 2 for toe out it'll be an easier job.....Getting it corner weighted in a few weeks and giving the front a bit more camber so when the rear toe is measured I'll know what to add to each side to bring the toe back to where it needs to be.

After a fish and chip lunch sorted out a bit of the inside, put end caps on all wires left after I'd cut of the plugs connectors....should have left the plugs on really. Got someone round to remove the 3 rear windows and fit the Polycarbs, did attempt myself but the rear bonding was a right pain so left it........

Then started on fitting the oil cooler, removing the oil filter was a pain.....and then couldn't remove the centre spindle. Didn't want to muller it as time was getting short and If I'd damaged it I'd be stuck. So that's a job for another day....Going to ask Dan if he'll take it off and fit next week as he's got the car.

Here's the roomy bay......

Enginebay.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
With a pair of these.

Stilsons.jpg

But to be fair, it wasn't actually that tight.

But once you have started that's it, it's got to come out whatever.

These arrived yesterday and I must say they fit remarkably like gloves...for boots that is....Sam has a nice blue pair too, in a size 6 I add.

Picking the Cup up from 519 tomorrow, few jobs to finish off and that'll be it ready for the 12th March Brands shake down....two months left to take our ARDS tests, race suit to buy...and how expensive are these....Don't tell me , I know...

Last edited:
Picked the Cup up from Dan at 519, got it home and sorted out the CAF, brake ducts (just got to wait for the tiger seal to dry before fixing in place. Routed them (not straight through front to back) so they point at the brakes no need for a wind deflector plate. Covered all the internal electrics with conduit, all ready for P clipping in place.

Here's a picture, only got one for now...more later.

ScreenHunter_04Feb270834.gif

Whilst the Cup was with Dan at 519 it had;

438 cams
Both belts
Inlets matched
Mapped
New 2.5" Piper stealth exhaust
Race cat
ARP bolts

And it drives like.....well I don't know....got to wait until March 12th (brands) to find out.....went on the trailer and came off ok (not much of a test as it did that ok before).

It does sound the part...the exhaust note at idle is a pleasure to listen too....did try and record but my phone or the play back on my laptop was rubbish so didn't keep it. Looks the part too, 1000% better than the Scorpion that it replaced.

Next weekend should see the last push to get it finished,

Plumb in the oil heat exchanger (Dan fitted it whislt doing ARP bolts \ oil change)
Commit and finally connect\plumb in all the Fire extinguisher points\pulls up
Re-fitt the dash and fit\place the internal eng cut off\fire extinguisher swtiches
P clip cables
Good clean inside
Re fitt seats\ harness
Clean out side
Stickers (like building an Airfix kit, know you've finished when these go on, (though I doubt this'll never be "finished"))

Looks so mean, really nice job mate! Bet your itching to get it on track now!

Thanks, loving the look myself too... though be good to have my weekends back...think every one since Jan 1st has been full on with the car.

Yes it's proving hard to not take it for a spin up the road....but I'll resist as it'll end terrible as these things do...

Not really told Sam what work was done, belts and a ecu map (glazed look so stopped there) just going to see what she notices on the day........hmmmmmm

182cup & 172 racecar
Looking good Pete, nice bit of work done there.

We are nearly ready for Brands as well, one more full day on it and we should be done.

Spent a full day today working on the cup, got lots done and not much at all left to do now, thankfully.

Got the heat exchanger plumbed in, though should have got pipe that held it's diameter when bent 180 degrees. Had to use 4 jubilee clips to stop the water pipe flattening out when it was bent round 180 degrees. Have to see if I can get a better type of pipe.

03032012537.jpg

Drained the coolant and filled it back up without a hitch, did look at the thermostat but it looked better than the one I bought from Euro carparts so didn't change it. The quality looked rubbish compared to the French one in there already.

Got the pipes on the catch tank, though no more jubilee clips of the right size left so that's still to do.

03032012541.jpg

Here's the airbox I fitted last week with the feeds.

03032012538.jpg

How the bay looks now, Dan from 519 gave it a clean whilst he was working on it last week...top job...

03032012539.jpg
'

Got the dash back in also sorted the internal engine cut off switch & fire extinguisher nozzles out, one in the bay pointing at the fuel\inlet area and 1 pointing at the drivers foot well\ bulkhead. Routed the release cables, didn't connect them up as couldn't find my P clips (maybe I didn't order\buy any...)

03032012542.jpg

Just have to make two brackets to give each of the nozzle heads a bit of support.

03032012544.jpg

Here's a view of the Fire extinguisher, battery and engine cut off electrics.

03032012543.jpg

All that's left to do is fit the brake ducting, brake pads and seats and I do believe that's job done.....

Phew...

Read through this whole thread and I can't believe I haven't seen it before! I knew that you were building a car for CSCC but didn't realise you had a thread for it :) It was a really interesting read from start to finish! The car look's great and I love everything you have done. Interesting how you changed from the KW - AST's. I will look forward to seeing it at Brands on the 12th :) Did you manage to get a transponder? If not then I found out that the company that run the timings for CSCC have them for just over £300 rather than on Mylaps where they are over £400, Hope that helps! I bet your looking forward to getting it on track again after the prep work :)

Nothing done today...rain from the start and then snow.....joys of working outside. 1/4 mile to the barn and didn't fancy the walk backwards and forwards if I'd forgotten any tools etc. So unless I sort out the rest during the week it'll be next Saturday for the last remaining jobs.

So today I resumed the preparations for the summer grazing and harrowed a field....driving up and down a field with an 8 foot harrow on the back of the tractor. Get's rid of all the dead grass\thatch, aerates the grass and also there's a fair bit of moss in the same field...gets rid of that too. Field looks a right mess after but it'll all grow back. I'll get the fertilizer spreader out in a week or so. Already put some nitrogen on the lawn, after the snow, sward is 2-3-inches long already...that'll need cutting...

Read through this whole thread and I can't believe I haven't seen it before! I knew that you were building a car for CSCC but didn't realise you had a thread for it :) It was a really interesting read from start to finish! The car look's great and I love everything you have done. Interesting how you changed from the KW - AST's. I will look forward to seeing it at Brands on the 12th :) Did you manage to get a transponder? If not then I found out that the company that run the timings for CSCC have them for just over £300 rather than on Mylaps where they are over £400, Hope that helps! I bet your looking forward to getting it on track again after the prep work :)

Hi Bigash, happy that you like the read...KW's just didn't do it for me they were on full hard 2nd time out...whereas the AST's are only 2 clicks off full soft so plenty of room for manoeuvre with them. Didn't get a transponder will most likely hire for the first race and buy later on in the year, I'll take the name though for the CSCC timing company. WELL looking forward to the 12th...be a good day alround. See you there...if you make it after your trip to North Wales.....

Read through the whole thread, looks fantastic, good job ;)

Also nice to see all the backstory as well, makes the car much more than just a car ;)

Thanks, it's a family team all the way....still trying to think of a good team name, have a few contenders nothing that jumps out at the moment though. Not really involved Harry and Scarlett the last few weeks though, had loads to do and they do get in the way. Not so bad when it's just an oil change or pads etc...time isn't really at a premium as it has been these last 8 weeks or so.

Looking good!

Any idea what sort of power its running after cams?

Hi, not sure re power, have been trying to get down TDF but Matt's really busy, he's only 20-30 mins away from me. So will hold out and get a run done later in the year. It'll be better than standard ( I hope!!) So if you say it started with 167......hoping mid 180's, 185 would be nice...anything else will be a bonus. Being honest not all that fussed as in the right hands it could still pass an ITB car...bit of a mission for me now....get more experience and stick to an ITB'd clio like glue......passing is, of course, another story....I'll know a lot more after the 12th March....at least we'll both be smiling......right foot hard down to the floor automatically brings out a smile.. a winning smile I add!!!

We've just been doing this at work last week as well.

That time of year again.....should've been cracking on a bit ealier really but my mind was elsewhere....

Think I put too much nitrogen on the lawn...it's now 3-4 inches long and a deep green colour...be cutting that every week for ages now....doh..glad I cultivated\rotivated and re seeded with "bent" grass seeds 2 years ago or it'd be a foot high...

ARDS test booked, going to make a day of it at Snetterton on the 30th March. Taking the Cup for the track day and also got 2 sessions with an insturctor in the morning (1 each for Sam and I) and 2nd driver chucked in FOC. The the ARDS written test at 1 ish and driving test at 1:30pm. So won't even miss much of the track day as the tests seem to fall during the lunch hour.

Do feel a bit mugged off though..

£55 for MSA Go Racing pack
£55 Medical
£250 ARDS Test
£55 for Race Licence

Hmmm....times 2.....equals how much.....***?*?'!

172 Race Car
Welcome to motorsport mate. Wait till you go and buy your kit. Only have to pay the renewal fee from now on tho. Unless your old and need to see the doctor every year

Welcome to motorsport mate. Wait till you go and buy your kit. Only have to pay the renewal fee from now on tho. Unless your old and need to see the doctor every year

Been through the kit pain already, should be arriving this week, £210 Sparco suit + £44 Sparco gloves (both plus VAT and minus CS discount) each from Tweeks, boots arrived last week, mine were £72 and Sams were £56 both (inc vat) from AWS in Kent. Replacing helmets with Headtec Snell 2010 ones in April.... and that'll be all done hopefully......probably forgotten something.

Like me, that reminds me I must get this booked.

How old.....???

Looks a cracking build and project, keep up the good work :)

Cheers....it'll all be worth it come Monday 12th when we're both out on track.....

Hi Bigash, happy that you like the read...KW's just didn't do it for me they were on full hard 2nd time out...whereas the AST's are only 2 clicks off full soft so plenty of room for manoeuvre with them. Didn't get a transponder will most likely hire for the first race and buy later on in the year, I'll take the name though for the CSCC timing company. WELL looking forward to the 12th...be a good day alround. See you there...if you make it after your trip to North Wales.....
Sounds intriguing so I will hope that the valving/springs that we have gone for with my KW will be okay :S

Sounds like a plan with the transponder and the CSCC timing company is http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=transponders I can imagine you are and I can't wait for the 11th :D I am also looking forward to coming down on the 12th and will be good to meet you and have look at the car in person!
ARDS test booked, going to make a day of it at Snetterton on the 30th March. Taking the Cup for the track day and also got 2 sessions with an insturctor in the morning (1 each for Sam and I) and 2nd driver chucked in FOC. The the ARDS written test at 1 ish and driving test at 1:30pm. So won't even miss much of the track day as the tests seem to fall during the lunch hour.

Do feel a bit mugged off though..

£55 for MSA Go Racing pack
£55 Medical
£250 ARDS Test
£55 for Race Licence

Hmmm....times 2.....equals how much.....***?*?'!
Tell me about it with the costs! I suppose I can be thankful i only have to pay for one :p
Names for the rear quarter windows......from Ady at n2grafix

Still need a team name

PSG Racing .co.uk

PSHS Racing .co.uk

Or what?

Ideas welcome.....big or small....
Names look great on the car and also I prefer PSG Racing :)

Sounds intriguing so I will hope that the valving/springs that we have gone for with my KW will be okay :S

Sounds like a plan with the transponder and the CSCC timing company is http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=transponders

Names look great on the car and also I prefer PSG Racing :)

My KW V2's were off the shelf no re valve or uprated springs....though the 45MM dia of the front shaft on the AST sportline II's are twice the dia of Kw V2's so little or no risk of flex there and valved\sprung to AST Track spec (can't remember the spring rates).

TeamToast

Was trying to use\think of something with Toast and or frenzy in it...like it....

Did a Google for PSG racing and there already is a facebook page, you tube page, football team out there...