ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's with Dan at the moment (dropped of earlier this week) and I guess once he's done his own tests he'll work out a plan and get on with it. Not sure re timescales, apart from it won't be finished in time for the 4th 5th April.

Is the head not off yet then? Would have thought it was worth just throwing a couple of hours labour at it to do leakdown test and remove the head off while the engine is still in the car just so you know whats up with it if you are in a rush? Save any surprises later on.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
well I got it running before taking it apart. Bore scope showed no piston crown damage and bores not chewed up. Anyway it ran on 3, so I've got the head off. Pistons have a few bits of plug embeded in a couple of spots but nothing terminal, they will clean up easily, no ring damage which goes along with the bores being in good condition. No sign of any detonation on pistons, a few very tiny pin marks on the head around the squish but no more than could have appeared during mapping when taken into det.

What did happen to me last night however when I tried to start it, was the fuel pump wouldn't prime. I also remember pete saying he tried draining the tank by taking the fuel feed off and turning the ignition on a few weeks ago and nothing came out. I think the fuel pump is intermittently dying/failing, which could easily have made it run lean enough to damage the plugs, bit surprised at no other damage, but from what I can see the only damage anywhere is down to bits of plug floating around, and nothing of that is terminal. I've not removed valves yet, but i'm expecting to find the seats aren't sealing properly due to bits embedded.

If it had been detonation due to mapping it would have melted at Mallory last year, and it had its head properly kicked in that day . The map hasn't changed from then, except around 2.5k/30% throttle due to the crank sensor related misfire skewwing the fueling

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You take an engine so far into det during mapping that you think it's then perfectly normal for the head to be routinely damaged as a result?
crikey that's an interesting new technique for mapping then, I know a lot of mappers but none that routinely damage the cylinder head small amounts during the mapping.

Interesting the pump cutting in and out so fast the pressure drops but engine doesn't cut out, that's very unlucky indeed, have seen pressure drops when pumps are worn out but not that type of failure. Wiring fault perhaps?

Any updates on the engine??

Bottom end back together - waiting on a head gasket and uprated Walbro FP. Not too sure on the condition of the head but suspect it had a bit of debris in valve seats. Dan said there was a bit of plug epidermis (my word) on the pistons but nothing that wouldn't clean up ok. Forgot to ask about the head's condition. Bores ok, as was the crank bearings etc.

Was thinking of replacing the fuel lines with a return, swirl pot and another pump in the spare wheel well, but tbh don't want to add anything else at this stage just want to get the mother on the track and have some WOT action and not delay things further.

Planing to pick up weekend 26-27 April all being well.

Ahh good news then :D

Yes, looking at Donnington in late May as well an other day early May if can fit it in.

I've got an awesome fuel tank, swirl pot and fuel pump setup that would be ideal for you @Toastfrenzy ;)

Hi Mark, pm pic's details price etc, cheers.

Nice one, so will you be at Castle Combe Pete?

Won't be doing Combs Sonny, along with Oulton to far away to be do able in a day and cope with normal life back home. I've also worked out the rest of the years on call and every race we plan to do falls when I'm on call, going to be a mare working this out. Can't come off call just yet, thought about it but the standby payment is very good and still got bills to pay. Also on call when on holiday in August too, so haven't done well this year with work schedules.

clio cup
My boy is 4 and goes on a petrol kart every sunday morning, the track near me allows them from 5 but he is tall enough, at 6 I will be getting him a bambino kart which the local track run on the big track one evening a week.

So what's been happening of late - Cup's still with Dan at 519, last I heard he was awaiting parts this was just after Easter so hopefully it's all nearing completion now.

Bought a new (to me) summer hack for the commute into work;

WP_20140503_09_34_16_Pro_zps23a1cff5.jpg

£900 Specialized 2013 Sirrus Comp Disc picked up, another eBay special - £450. Even better the seller was coming to Peterborough today too, saved a 200 mile round trip for me. Result!

The well worn 3 & 1/2 year old GT is now relegated to the October to April months, the only original items on this bike now are the handle bars and frame.

Even looking forward to the cycle into work tomorrow!

Got grass established after seeding an area 5 weeks ago, so a fair result for a few hours hard graft and £20 worth of B&Q's ornamental grass seed.

WP_20140505_11_05_10_Pro_zpsa1ebbd33.jpg

All we need now is the Cup back..................

Been perfect for grass seed Pete, wet and warm.

Now there's two word's that go well together...

On another note....

Picking the Cup up tomorrow so will start to get some dates together for testing and racing, doubt I'll make the Donington Race. I'm on-call and a bit late to mess folks around trying to swap weeks etc now. I'm also on-call for the race in July (Snett) but will start working out the swap around now.

Will defiantly get a day at Snetterton in the forthcoming weeks and maybe a 2nd day somewhere else if required.

Nice one Pete, hope the cup is battle ready. Im at Snett on the 21st May, i wont be testing, i will be with mate @paulrs4 to test the prizemotorsport Clio .

Gutted you wont be at donny though

Picked up and all running fine - thanks to Dan sorting it out. Just needs a quick clean and a check over (along with the below) could well see you on the 21st - MSV day?

The cutoff module has started to play up, neither of the cut off switches will cut the engine but if either or both are activated the car wont start.

Have to start the car with a starter pack to the starter cable terminated in the engine bay. Did a quick volts check with Dan on Saturday and with the engine running there's volt's to the engine side of the cut off module and no volts present from the battery to the cut off module. So no charge reaching battery either, everything else appears fine alternator\ 15 volts on the gauge with engine running. May be a symptom of a real flat battery\dead battery.

Sent email to Simtek on Saturday and about to call them this afternoon. Hopefully just a case of a swap over of the cutoff module and all's fine.

Just wondering what is the advantage of fitting the above cut off? As they are quite expensive.

I just have the standard msa kill switch in mine and it works fine.

182cup & 172 racecar
After I cleaned mine out of all the sh1t that had got in there, I now put a blob of grease around the top, to stop any water ingress.

My fire extinguisher T pull needs regular attention, but for the cost against an electric firing unit I'll put up with it. Sort of thinking this way for the engine cut off now....Got a few things to try to sort out my cut off issues, however, from the detailed reply from Simtek I don't think it'll be a 5 minute job.

Hi Peter

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, we are lucky to be very busy at the moment!
I guess you have the B200 (Black box) Master relay unit? Its trigger circuit is very simple.
The relay's trigger circuit is supplied with battery positive and grounded (Negatively triggered) through the switches. The grounded trigger wire to the battery cut relay's trigger circuit also provides the ground / negative trigger for the ignition cut relay.

Not sure what you fault is, not sure how you have it wired.

If you go to our web site there are wiring diagrams you can down load and print in PDF format to help you search for the fault.

You need to Check the following, working back from the relay unit to the switches until you find the fault.
1 - With one or more of the master switches in the OFF position no battery voltage should be supplied to any components on the car other than the battery cut relay circuits itself.
2 - When operating the switches from the OFF position to the ON position you should be able to hear an audible clunk from the battery cut relay.
3 - If you can hear the mechanical operation of the battery cut relay check that there is no battery voltage on the out put terminal of the relay when the switches are OFF and there is battery voltage when the relay is ON.
NOTE If the relays function is correct then we need a different set of tests and you will need to get back to me. If not then move on.
4 - If there is an audible clunk but no power then the relay might have failed. If no audible clunk then move on.
5 - At the 2 way connector to the battery cut relay unit you need to test for battery voltage at one of the pins (Usually pin 2).
NOTE This pin is connected to a short loop of wire from the battery feed to the relay's power stud for the switched circuit to the two way connector. This is the relay's trigger circuit positive feed. If there isn't the loop is at fault. if there is move on.
6 - At the first Off/On switch with the switch off, testing at the wire coming in from the battery relays connector, two way connector pin 1 you have battery voltage, If not the connections or wire between the first switch and battery cut relay are faulty. If there is see note.
NOTE If you have you should be able to ground this wire using a power probe or just a piece of spare wire, one end to the connection and the other to battery negative, the master cut relay should clunk in.
7 - If the above works move on to the other terminal with the switch ON and repeat the process. If this doesn't work the switch is faulty. If it does move on.
8 - Move to the next switch and repeat step 6 and 7. This will help you work out were the circuit has gone faulty.

Please get back to me with your results

Best regards

Jay Simkins

Technical director

Started at the battery, to look at the cutoff fault on Saturday, appears the race battery is dead as a dead thing. After 5 hours charging no volts across it. I had to test the Passat battery to make sure I was using the multi meter right. Once confirmed, hooked the Passatt up to the Cup.

WP_20140517_17_37_52_Pro_zps20a246e6.jpg

Cut off worked as it always had - so problem solved.

Just need to work out where I got the battery from. As I think it came with a 3 year warranty - worth a try.

That's good news, nice easy fix then.

yes, wasn't really looking forward to the fault finding.....glad I started at the battery.

Nice one Pete, hope you get a replacement battery for free.

Just bought a Odyssey extreme 25 for £75 of ebay - this has got the better vibration protection - same battery as the one that has failed. See how long this one lasts.

Looks like we're not going to be out until 21st June in the Cup - using the credit I have with Rockingham for a track day on the 21st. All getting manic and not many weekends left free, may even have to ditch the Snetterton race in July and go for the Silverstone one in August. Trouble with that is we fly out to Greece the very next day. Been done before when at Mallory racing, the very next day drove to Vendee, France at silly o'clock.

All booked up for Rockingham 21st June, which will be the day we hopefully prove the reliability of the Cup. Not planning anything else until this day is over and done with. Don't want to tempt fate.

Just a few bits to do get it ready for the day - fit new battery, spanner check, fluids to check and give it a wash and we're good to go. Easy.

Got a karting session coming up, early June, at Whilton Mill on their 950mtr track using the 400cc karts - not sure how I'll feel after that 45 minute session. Going to get Harry and Scarlett out on some of their Children's days. One of the only clubs that will take 6-7's that are near, no more than 1hr 20 mins away at least. Scarlett's itching to get out on her own after taking her Karting at Easter.

May have also got some driver training for Sam and I at Silverstone, organized for June, hopefully it'll come off as it's an arrive and drive event, on the National circuit and very cheap. Fingers crossed here.

Refreshed the Summer ride to work with a new (to me) bike (couple weeks ago), new SPD shoes and pedals last week....what a change it all makes, averaging 18mph + on quite a few rides.

This was on 24th May, just fitted SPD Pedals and set up my shoes and cleats and then went out for a quick test....was impressed at how easy everything was with SPD's. Never used them before.

ScreenHunter_44May301204_zps0bfc3709.gif

Then on Holiday Monday went round Grafham water with Sam, Harry and Scarlett, nice leisurely family ride out. All going to go round Rutland water in the coming weeks - 24miles, though will split it up for the youths.

ScreenHunter_46May301205_zps99ddc10f.gif

And this mornings dash into work after dropping Harry and Scarlett of at the parents.

ScreenHunter_47May301205_zps4d2c94da.gif

Really enjoying the new equipment!