ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wow, it really has done a number on those plugs!

Is it oil on the thread of the 4th one?

WP_20140322_08_42_44_Pro_zpsaa335926.jpg

Or is that just a trick of the light?

The others just look terrible TBH, I cant believe it managed to eat them that badly in so few miles.

Were they checked after mapping? (ie do you know if the damage occurred during mapping or when used on the track?)

Am going to be very surprised if its managed to do that to the plugs (the ones with the missing electrode have probably seen 800+ degrees sustained electrode temp, and on a 197 plug thats quite hard as they have minimal insulation so a lot of chance to conduct heat away into the head) and then not done any damage to the pistons but looking at the fact there isnt any visible aluminium deposit on this one:
WP_20140322_08_48_06_Pro_zps81d1f7ca.jpg

You may just be the luckiest person alive and have gotten away with it despite what conditions were clearly like in the combustion chamber!

Last edited:
A bit of non car work today;

Finally got rid of Harry and Scarlett's play area - 8m x 5m weed membrane, play barked with climbing frame, both too old for the frame and never used it. Sold the frame a while ago and been moving the 50 barrow loads of play bark over the last few weekends.

Today was the final push - dig over, grade and level ready for grass seed.

Started the dig over - hard going after 7 years being a play area.

WP_20140323_11_05_04_Pro_zpsf9c46c87.jpg

30 mins later - fist dig over complete

WP_20140323_11_46_00_Pro_zpsa7c9e69c.jpg

1st grade complete and part way through 2nd grading

WP_20140323_12_39_32_Pro_zps9f6d47eb.jpg

3rd grade and flattened all ready for grass seed.

WP_20140323_14_38_02_Pro_zpsae94ae69.jpg

All by hand and done in 5-6 hours and I'm all done in too!

Interesting plug, never heard of them before. Well Pete, hopefully its all good. Was there much engine damage?

None that I've seen

Wow, it really has done a number on those plugs!

Is it oil on the thread of the 4th one?

Or is that just a trick of the light?

The others just look terrible TBH, I cant believe it managed to eat them that badly in so few miles.

Were they checked after mapping? (ie do you know if the damage occurred during mapping or when used on the track?)

Am going to be very surprised if its managed to do that to the plugs (the ones with the missing electrode have probably seen 800+ degrees sustained electrode temp, and on a 197 plug thats quite hard as they have minimal insulation so a lot of chance to conduct heat away into the head) and then not done any damage to the pistons but looking at the fact there isnt any visible aluminium deposit on this one:

You may just be the luckiest person alive and have gotten away with it despite what conditions were clearly like in the combustion chamber!

Oil on all the threads on #'s 1,3 & 4 . #2 had oil just on the top half of the threads.

I never took the plugs out when I had the car back so I wouldn't know their condition, post Silverstone race Nov 2013 to pre Snetterton March 2014.

Blimey Pete you do have some bad luck with your car. I hope this is an easy fix and its up and running again soon.

Fingers crossed, cheers Andy.

Nice going mate, bet it was a good workout

I'm feeling it more today!

So, got the results of the compression, leak down and bore scope tests

Compression;

Cyl 1 225
Cyl 2 190
Cyl 3 160
Cyl 4 200

Leak down;

I didn't compare the needle's movement between each cylinder, the green area is over 20% of the gauge scale - saw this after clearing it all away. So may be test results not valid?

Cyl 1 Needle in green
Cyl 2 Needle in green
Cyl 3 Needle in green
Cyl 4 Needle in green

And no visible damage\holes to the top of the pistons or scores to the bore when looking down bore scope.

Taking it to Dan tomorrow and hopefully won't be a major load of work to sort.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Weird that the leakdown was green while one cylinder is showing such low compression (and 2 others down a fair bit), did you do the test a couple of times to rule out errors in your test procedure?

Ironic that cylinder 1 has come back with the only sensible result considering its plug seems to have faired the worst.

Good news no sign of issues on the pistons, you may well be the luckiest guy on here if you have got away with the pistons in one piece, although that makes a mystery of where you compression has gone of course.

Weird that the leakdown was green while one cylinder is showing such low compression (and 2 others down a fair bit), did you do the test a couple of times to rule out errors in your test procedure?

Ironic that cylinder 1 has come back with the only sensible result considering its plug seems to have faired the worst.

Good news no sign of issues on the pistons, you may well be the luckiest guy on here if you have got away with the pistons in one piece, although that makes a mystery of where you compression has gone of course.

Only did the Leak down test once - I'll probably say user error as much as anything skewed the results.

Yes, would have thought #4 would've had the best results overall.

I guess the only way to be 100% sure is to get the head off. Once Dan's done his tests at least there'll be two sets for comparison from different equipment etc before any drastic work is carried out.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Only did the Leak down test once - I'll probably say user error as much as anything skewed the results.

Yes, would have thought #4 would've had the best results overall.

I guess the only way to be 100% sure is to get the head off. Once Dan's done his tests at least there'll be two sets for comparison from different equipment etc before any drastic work is carried out.

Yeah if the values for compression you have given there are anywhere near accurate, than without a doubt its a henry the eighth moment!

Thought long and hard over an offer of using one of James's spare engines (that he kindly offered to lend me) and if I had a standard map file that I could use I more than likely would've taken him up on the offer. With the problem of getting it mapped - and getting a test day in during working hours next week, too little time to get sorted.

Gutted missing the opening Rockingham race being it's a French only race even more so.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thought long and hard over an offer of using one of James's spare engines (that he kindly offered to lend me) and if I had a standard map file that I could use I more than likely would've taken him up on the offer. With the problem of getting it mapped - and getting a test day in during working hours next week, too little time to get sorted.

Gutted missing the opening Rockingham race being it's a French only race even more so.

Yeah the last thing you want it to wreck his engine as well, so I can totally see where you are coming from with that decision.

That is a real shame about missing the first race after so much preperation work over the winter, I know how gutted I feel when I have to miss a trackday so can only imagine how much worse that is when you know its a guarantee of no championship points etc as well as missing your day out.
Hope you havent had to pay the entry fee yet as that would be even more of a kick in the balls!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That's a shame Pete, but, a standard engine and a basic map would still be worth it right? Shame your missing it.

If you think of the full costs involved in fitting and mapping a standard engine for the one day, its going to be a lot of time and hassle, and then be way off the pace?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hence why the 106 would be cheaper option.

Yeah, would make far more sense to buy a race ready car for 1500 quid and use that, even if you had to sell it on a few hundred quid cheaper to get rid of it you still wouldnt lose anything like you would fitting another engine for one event including all the mapping etc.

Pete you need to send me your bank details again, so I can pay you for the above.

I'll txt\pm you

Sorry to see Pete :(

You still going along? Or it will it be too painful to watch...

Yes - considering going on the 4th - Friday too or at least the PM

Ians selling a nice little race ready 106 for £1500, tempting to keep as a spare actually.

Been looking at Matt's Spencer's Pug - the Green one 2.5 - 3k with a decent trailer too. Unfortunately got 8k lying around which is meant to be another overpayment on the mortgage...looked at a few S2000's and Z4's over the past two weeks too.

But once the Cup is ready all these itchy feelings to get out driving will hopeful subside and I'll have put the 8K where it should probably be better off spent..lol.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
4th? Thought the race was on the 5th - Saturday?

I'm planning being there on the 5th so be good to catch up if you're about. :)

PS. If I was you I'd make the £8k payment to the mortgage asap, removes temptation! Lol!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
..and? My engine was in and mapped 3 days before Spa and I was at the Donny race 3 days after Spa...just saying ;0

not saying it cant be done, more a case of is it worth it just for one race and then all the expense be for nothing the moment you remove it and put the proper engine back in (once its fixed)

not saying it cant be done, more a case of is it worth it just for one race and then all the expense be for nothing the moment you remove it and put the proper engine back in (once its fixed)

For sure when you look it like that. Well hoping it will get sorted soon Pete, just hate seeing ppl miss stuff like this due to car woes...shame.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
For sure when you look it like that. Well hoping it will get sorted soon Pete, just hate seeing ppl miss stuff like this due to car woes...shame.

Especially on a brand new engine :(

I'd imagine the main idea for going forged etc was the perception it would be MORE reliable, not less.

When is it coming apart so you know once and for all what you are facing in the way of repairing it?

Banana trivia;

Been cycling to work and back for 3 and a half years now , 225 working days in a year, 2 banana's a day (1 after AM ride and one before PM ride) that's 1575 banana's I've eaten (that's powered just under 13000 miles).

Wow...I'm saving the planet.

Last edited:
  Chase Racing Clio
Banana trivia;

Been cycling to work and back for 3 and a half years now , 225 working days in a year, 2 banana's a day (1 after AM ride and one before PM ride) that's 1575 banana's I've eaten (that's powered just under 13000 miles).

Wow...I'm saving the planet.

13,000 in 3.5 years?? That's pretty good going Pete, how long is your commute and do you do it every day?

I've been covering about 2500 per year for the last year and a half now, but I don't cycle every day. 3 per week is about average, with my journey being 8.5 each way.

13,000 in 3.5 years?? That's pretty good going Pete, how long is your commute and do you do it every day?

I've been covering about 2500 per year for the last year and a half now, but I don't cycle every day. 3 per week is about average, with my journey being 8.5 each way.

18 miles per day, do it every day come what may, missed about 5 days in 3.5 years...get some (door gunner in FMJ)!

Doing the math think my cat eye odo thing is under reading...