ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

to buy a v6 or not

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
with the way things are at the moment id keep saving your deposit for the house for another year as you will have been at your job a year and have a bigger deposit plus there may be some good deals by then.

Plus if the new job doesnt work out there is always something to fall back on.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
In the current climate, sticking a wad of cash into something expensive that's only going to lose cash is silly. I'm selling my cars to get a cheap 172.

if you can afford it comfortably, HELL YES.

if you cant...then dont!! it will drink fuel, bit the only scary serving bill is cambelt, find one thats had that done and you have very good value for money.

and LOL at nothing special to drive!! WTF!! its one of the most fun and engaging cars out there.

ive never been in anything that makes me smile (and everyone you drive past) so much.

on top of that you get the blooming awesome owners meetings which are a real treat to be part of.

if you can afford it comfortably, HELL YES.

if you cant...then dont!! it will drink fuel, bit the only scary serving bill is cambelt, find one thats had that done and you have very good value for money.

and LOL at nothing special to drive!! WTF!! its one of the most fun and engaging cars out there.

ive never been in anything that makes me smile (and everyone you drive past) so much.

on top of that you get the blooming awesome owners meetings which are a real treat to be part of.

How much fun are they really?

Anyone with a Vee around South London want to let me test drive theirs?

ST
Thats my line son..

Granted wi yours, mossys or campbells but standard silver ones are just...BLAND!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
personally... i wouldnt buy a v6 when changing jobs. Perhaps a few months into the new one just to see if its a long-term one and your not going to be let off soon.

I also wouldnt buy a v6 if i was planning to move house. Id save really for house itself, furnishing etc. Or perhaps save enough for 2 deposits, getting one house on a buy-to-let.

LoL, is that you Mr Gates?

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
personally... i wouldnt buy a v6 when changing jobs. Perhaps a few months into the new one just to see if its a long-term one and your not going to be let off soon.

I also wouldnt buy a v6 if i was planning to move house. Id save really for house itself, furnishing etc. Or perhaps save enough for 2 deposits, getting one house on a buy-to-let.

not now obviously. Think ahead. House prices will come down to a reasonable level, mortgages will be affordable. When the time comes just blow it on that.

not now obviously. Think ahead. House prices will come down to a reasonable level, mortgages will be affordable. When the time comes just blow it on that.

Listen to this man.

£15k+ on a Clio, that in a year or so might be worth £12k?

Add into all the extra cost of running it, your savings could be on £20k by then.

Look at me being all sensible, I must be getting old.

visualize whirled pe
Easier said that done comes to mind, times are hard and not everyone can afford to buy 2 houses and a Vee lol

indeed.

Anyone who would even consider spending that amount of money when they have lost their job is not responsible enough to own a house if that's how best to handle redundancy.

I've just sold my car because my partner was made redundant. In my mind that was £1700 more I can add to my savings towards the bills, at no time did i think 'f**k it, I'll spunk the rest of my savings on a Vee now'.

However IMO if you want something strongly enough you don't need to hear what other people (including strangers) think.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I suppose we are all differently inclined, the worst thing you did was ask anyone on here IMO.

All your gonna get is sarcastic Inuendos all day, 200 people that will say yes and 300 people that say no.

If you wanna do it then just do it, well atleast whilst petrols cheap*

*this was my sarcastic inuendo lol

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I would say own one. They are amazing cars everywhere i go people look at you and ask questions about the car. The engine note is fantastic, mine is up for sale due to me changing jobs for a period. If i could justify keeping it i would. But 600 miles a week means that i only drive her on the weekends.

When you own one you appreciate the true spectacle of the car. When i first got it i disliked it but after the NW Wales run,i am completely bowled over by it. When you drive a Vee properly it feels alot quicker than a 182 even though it may not be but the torque really seperates them. It may not be as quick as other cars in the price range but that doesnt concern me one bit as i know i have a mini supercar (awaits flamin).

If it is within your budget to buy one i would, unhappy Vee owners are rare im not saying there not around but when you own one you understand why Ali, steve,etc love them. I will definately be purchasing another one in years to come. When i drive a 182 etc now except trophy they feel inadequate compared to the Vee.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
oh btw motorway you can get 26/27 mpg easy so get one noe before Mr Brown makes us drive smart cars and recycle left over food

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR

Listen to this man.

Add into all the extra cost of running it, your savings could be on £20k by then.

Yes but look at any other car for 15k and it will depreciate like that, for a RS the Vee's hold their prices well not amazing. Look at 197/R26 F1 owners (except the CS lot who all paid 12K fully speccd up) they have lost loads of money for a car that it inferior to the Vee

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I think you should buy a Sagaris.

Or you could save your money for a house and just make up a story.

Humm!

oh btw motorway you can get 26/27 mpg easy so get one noe before Mr Brown makes us drive smart cars and recycle left over food
I've had 35mpg out of mine (yeah really) I got that with motorway driving & getting stuck in a bit of traffic.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Listen to this man.

Yes but look at any other car for 15k and it will depreciate like that, for a RS the Vee's hold their prices well not amazing. Look at 197/R26 F1 owners (except the CS lot who all paid 12K fully speccd up) they have lost loads of money for a car that it inferior to the Vee

sorry Revels misunderstood post,

P.s Alan Silver ones are not bland!!!!! Whatever colour there in there is nothing on the road that looks similar to the VEE. A Spectacle i tell thee a spectacle

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Well, as many will know, I was till recently a Mk1 Vee owner, and I replaced it with an R27, as I needed something a bit more 'day to day' and this fits the bill nicely :) And also, there were other reasons that I will attempt to outline now...

Regarding the Vee, if you want a performance car - there are a million
one things better for the cash. But if you want something that draws a
crowd like a real supercar, and is 'an event' everytime you drive it, whilst sounding truely fantastic, better than any mere 6 cylindar engine has any right too and is 'fast enough' for most people - then it's the car for you.

Before the Vee went a mate and I did some drag off a roundabout (on my private road) on a 2 laner tests, his Corsa VXR vs my Mk1 Vee and they were exactly even - when the Vee was in front, I pulled no car lengths, and vice versa when the VXR was in front. When I got rid of the Vee, and got the R27 - we did the same test, in the same place with R27 vx VXR and they were also, exactly even, as I reported in this thread here - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=334038. We both thought he was gonna win tbh, i was chuffed heh.

So I think it's fair to deduce from that, that my Mk1 Vee - which was a minter, serviced regulary and with great care and in fine fettle - is no faster than my totally standard, 12k miles Clio R27 - and the R27 is much, much faster round the bends. On that same roundabout my R27 was able to go round it a lot faster, and a lot more composed - well above the speed where the Vee was trying to slide and break away.

So, as I said before, if all you want is performance then you may as well get something else. I was just trying to show the reasoning behind that statement, and that I had some personal experience to back it up.

But, I loved my Vee, the respect and admiration it got from passers by and people in the street was awesome - and the sound was unmatched. But it got to the point where that stopped just been enough really for me, and I wanted a car I could really enjoy driving hard again, especially in the 'twisties'.

Summary, I'd save for the house :)

Last edited:
  Renaultsport Clio V6
I am saving to buy a house, but i own a v6.

The more money you can put into the house the better. I am quite lucky because i can save every month and still pay off/run the car. I could sell to fund a house but in a few months i will own it out right and i love it so i will be keeping hold of it.
What i am trying to say is the house is the more sensibal option but if you can get both then your going to very happy.

My advice is save for the house, but you will make your mind up.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
But, I loved my Vee, the respect and admiration it got from passers by and people in the street was awesome - and the sound was unmatched. But it got to the point where that stopped just been enough really for me, and I wanted a car I could really enjoy driving hard again, especially in the 'twisties'.[/quote]

I wasnt keen on the Vee in the twisties but when you get used to it i dont feel any differecnt from my 182 in terms of enjoyment. It is maybe less chuckable but the feeling of getting a corner correct and accelerating hard in 2nd gear is fantastic and felt miles better than the 182. The Vee is a totally different car and other RS may be better tha the Vee in corners but the Vee is more than capable.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I wasnt keen on the Vee in the twisties but when you get used to it i dont feel any differecnt from my 182 in terms of enjoyment. It is maybe less chuckable but the feeling of getting a corner correct and accelerating hard in 2nd gear is fantastic and felt miles better than the 182. The Vee is a totally different car and other RS may be better tha the Vee in corners but the Vee is more than capable.

Yours was a Mk2 iirc? Quite different. Not saying the Mk1 is worse, for the Mk1 lovers hehe, just very different. I didn't say it wasn't capable per say, I said it wasn't as capable as my R27 and I stand by that.

I beleive Ali said he was most impressed by the R27 on track, and would be able to lap faster in the R27 than his Vee?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR

Yours was a Mk2 iirc? Quite different. Not saying the Mk1 is worse, for the Mk1 lovers hehe, just very different. I didn't say it wasn't capable per say, I said it wasn't as capable as my R27 and I stand by that.

I beleive Ali said he was most impressed by the R27 on track, and would be able to lap faster in the R27 than his Vee?

Oh yeah im sure the R27 would be faster no arguing that. Just saying the Vee is still very good in the bends.

Burgandy 174 sport t
Isn't a major service inc. belts over £1k?

I have just had the vee serviced inc oil and filter changed waterpump aux belt cam belt and all tenioners changed for 900 at Reno. I drive the vee not even half as much as I did all the 1*2's. 200 quid for 2x michelin pilot sport rear tyres aint drastically more than tyes for a 1*2 bucket either.