ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Titanium ph1, Jon's Ownership Diary.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Thanks Danny, its getting there.

Cheers mate, I'll bear it in mind. Not too sure whether to go for a refurbed standard or look to change to a different steering wheel.

Thanks Craig, I had the paint done at An Illusion bodyshop on the Mandale triangle. Just needs Belts doing, a service and a few other bits and I should have it back on the road hopefully.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Thanks, its looking a lot better than when I first bought it, still quite a bit more to go though.

I had a go at restoring the headlights as they had begun to haze. They came up really well and look much better than they did previously. Could do with a bit more polish but its coming along.

IMG_0097_zpsd650d370.jpg

I also gave the badges a bit of paint just to refresh them as they had faded a little.

IMG_0088_zps63ae4293.jpg

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Managed to re-wire the rear lights today as they hadn't been working properly, mainly being the drivers side rear brake light. I also found that I have two different coloured front lights as one is a lighter shade of blue so will be looking to change to a matching set.

IMG_0115_zps5e7a9b11.jpg

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Some new genuine rear brake discs arrived from Renault Wolverhampton to replace the old ones. Also had a new oil filter arrive and a few other little bits. :approve:

IMG_0119_zps41408b77.jpg

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Not much of an update but the rear number plate light and indicators had seen better days so they have been replaced for new ones.

Old
IMG_0123_zpse388d970.jpg

New
IMG_0124_zpsc300cb81.jpg

Still a few more bits needed for it and then it will be off to have the belts changed.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Thanks very much.

To be honest im really not sure. Its the inside bulb on both sides and they seem to be a small cluster bulb. One side is like a turquoise colour and the other a darker blue.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
I managed to get a couple of small jobs done this morning and im hoping to have it back on the road soon. My battery kept going flat so I've changed it for a new Bosch one which im hoping sorts the problem and that it isn't anything more serious. I also replaced the cabin filter at the same time and gave the car a quick rinse as it had gained a layer of dust. Im really pleased with how it looks so far but still have quite a bit to go yet.

IMG_0129_zps989cd27a.jpg

IMG_0127_zps18164637.jpg

IMG_0144_zpsc3d1c337.jpg

IMG_0142_zps531b03aa.jpg

I think im going to get some spacers as the alloys look a bit far inside the arches. I still need to fit the rear brake discs, have the belts changed and service it. The interior could do with a bit of work too but its making progress.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
IMG_0152_zps16b976a6.jpg

Not far away from being back on the road, still a few things to sort out but its getting there.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Good work so far mate, id be getting that + side of the battery covered just in case it touches the ecu cover. I bought a new one from Renault it was about £10 or try and get a S/H one off of here.

Also if your going to fit spacers to the rear then its better to do while your discs are off as they have to be removed to fit them. :)

IMG_0129_zps989cd27a.jpg

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Thanks mate :approve: If im honest I didn't know it needed a cover but I'll get hold of one, thanks for the heads up. Yeah still have the rear discs to fit, there currently sat in the passenger footwell. Think im going to get some spacers for it shortly, was thinking of 5mm for the rear and either 10-15mm for the front.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
No problems matey, would hate to see your hard work going up in smoke.

Ive got 10 mm -1 on the rear and 20 mm on the fronts, bought them from Dan @ M.A.D

Have a look at my thread, i only fitted them last week. :)

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Thanks, yeah its far better than it was when I first bought it. Still has a few small issues to rectify but hopefully once done it will be running smoothly.

Thanks, i'll have a read of it. Are your rear spacers fitted behind the discs or in front ?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thanks, yeah its far better than it was when I first bought it. Still has a few small issues to rectify but hopefully once done it will be running smoothly.

Thanks, i'll have a read of it. Are your rear spacers fitted behind the discs or in front ?

Behind mate, lots better. and you can have - camber. :)

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Thanks mate, its coming along :D

IMG_0163_zpsc1f487e5.jpg

Had the Cambelt, Aux belt, dephaser & water pump changed this week. I also had to have the cam seals changed as they advised they needed doing. Hoping this will sort the oil leak issue I had. It runs a lot quieter now so cant wait to get it back on the road having confidence the belts have been done. Ive got a new oil filter as well so will give the oil a change and hopefully it should be running better than ever.

With it back in the garage I trimmed the back off the fog light surrounds and gave them a quick spray of black before refitting.

IMG_0167_zps1cdead17.jpg

My front seats had started to wear on the sides and I had read another member using a scuffmaster kit to restore them so I gave it a go and was very pleased with the results.

Before
IMG_0171_zps12c4bb49.jpg

After
IMG_0176_zps15e40f48.jpg

Still have the rear brake discs to fit and a few other things before its back on the road but its not far away :D

IMG_0178_zps6d7bfef2.jpg

IMG_0179_zps249ac6ab.jpg

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Thanks Craig, its looking a lot better than when I bought it and im hoping it runs a lot better too. Its a long way of the sunflowers standard though :dapprove:

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Few little bits to fit over the weekend hopefully, 5mm spacers from Myldan Auto Design and new aero wipers.

IMG_0182_zps9b337e26.jpg

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Thanks mate, its come a long way since I bought it. I was planning on cutting my losses and breaking it originally so im hoping it will be something worth keeping now.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
New rear brake discs now fitted along with 5mm spacers, still have the front spacers to fit next week. :approve:

IMG_0187_zpsfed00614.jpg

IMG_0190_zps720b38ab.jpg

gudger12345

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Very nice
There are loads of Ph1 in the North East, planning on coming to the big breakfast??

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Thanks mate, yeah we will have enough for a Ph1 meet :approve: Erm not sure I've heard of it, is it local ?

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Back on the road at last.

IMG_0237_zpsab4fd0b8.jpg

I have found a few other issues which need addressing. The throttle still sticks a lot which is a persistent issue and giving the throttle body a quick clean doesn't seem to have cured it. I have noticed the cable isn't in the best shape so planning on changing the cable to see if it helps at all. Im also getting a lot of movement in the engine on idle so it looks like new engine mounts will be needed as well. The front brake calipers seem to be sticking but not sure if its just one or both. It had been doing this before it was taken off the road but think its gotten worse now its been stood. Finally I have found the speedo to be temperamental and seems to just stop working when it likes.

Hoping to start tackling the list of jobs asap and will probably find more along the way :S All that aside its good to have it back and it seems to be running okay.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Managed to change the throttle cable yesterday and its running much better, feels a lot more responsive and no more sitting at traffic lights revving up and down. I also wound the front coilovers up a bit more as it was having a bit of trouble with speed bumps. Two more things done off the list :approve:

IMG_0243_zpsfdae7def.jpg

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Having a bit of an issue currently with the ph1 cutting out whilst driving. Battery and stop lights come on but a quick turn off the key and its running again with no warning lights. Think its gonna be an issue with the coil pack / Leads so will need to do some investigating. Still has a few other small problems to be rectified too so will keep me busy for a while.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Unfortunately after a year of ownership my 172's life has come to an end. It will be broken for parts shortly so if anyone's in need of anything please let me know. I will start a thread shortly.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
It just keeps losing all of it's oil unfortunately and seemed to be slowly dying. Made the decision with a pending mot that it was time for a change :(

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
After that transformation it's a shame! I recently restored my phase 1 and im still loving it.
If your selling your wheel spacers il be interested.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
After that transformation it's a shame! I recently restored my phase 1 and im still loving it.
If your selling your wheel spacers il be interested.

It really is but unfortunately it was just burning to much oil :( yeah definitely mate, I've got a set in the car and a set at home.