ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tips for model photography

Yaris
Hey guys,

One of my female friends has asked me to take some "FHM High Street Honeys" style shots of her.

Any tips regards to focus, ISO, or even composition or lighting.

I'm using a nikon D40
And no, I won't post pictures unless she knows

Cheers

Lowest ISO lighting will allow for.
Use a reflector to remove shadows
Large Apperture (Greater than F/2.8)
Make sure she is relaxed, so do them somewhere she will be comfortable.
If using flash, make sure you use a diffuser. if its a built in flash buy some thin rizla and stick one of the flash.

I suggest going and asking permission from her, then we'll help you ;)

Natural light, get her outside.. Not in her bedroom with all her crap behind her! lol..

What lens' do you have? Just kit lens? Depends what kind of shots she wants really.. Is it going to be close up of her face? or a 'squeeze my tits together and cover my nipples' type shot? Around 50mm id say, f5.6 something like that.. Nice depth of field depending on whats around you..

Have a look on flickr for some examples. Theres constantly pics of hot women on there!

Have a look on POTN and Model Mayhem, loads of great examples on both of those.

And I agree with Revels and Theduck.

LOL! Look at all the sharks. Leave us alone in the intellectuals section!!

When I clicked this thread, I was expecting him to be asking about model cars or something. I was going to suggest some tilt shift action :eek:

1.8 Civic EX
LOL! Look at all the sharks. Leave us alone in the intellectuals section!!

When I clicked this thread, I was expecting him to be asking about model cars or something. I was going to suggest some tilt shift action :eek:

lol, tbh the first reply answers the question so the rest is basically going to be pervs :)

Some examples:

Shot outside, sunny day, but no reflector so ruined by shadows on her face
Crouching_by_StuMac1985.jpg

Shot indoors in low light:
Do_what_you_do_best_by_StuMac1985.jpg

Again outdoors, sunny day, iirc by this time I was using the reflector:
Under_the_Half_pipe_by_StuMac1985.jpg

Indoors, natural light:
Lady_by_StuMac1985.jpg

All shot indoors, ISO100, Apperture think was f/2 - f/1,4 on all of them. Used Sigma 30mm f/1,4 on Olympus E1.

Cupra
Lighting is one of the most important parts of the shots as well as the poses. Definitely worth reading up on in advance.

Lull her into a false sense of security before going in for the "special" shots which you can then post on here. ;)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Lighting is one of the most important parts of the shots as well as the poses. Definitely worth reading up on in advance.

Lull her into a false sense of security before going in for the "special" shots which you can then post on here. ;)

lol

Yaris
Well she did mentions wearing heels and she knows that she does have curves on her that look kick ass. Will post a pic of her from her bebo page when I get home so you got an idea of how she looks. Ps thanks for the tips and LOLs

Nikon D700
lol at all the perv comments...
just spend ages working with the model and getting what she wants (not what everyone on here wants - lol).
but i'd use f/5.6 50-70mm and a reflector into the face to make sure you dont get too many shadows.
Like most have said, lighting is most important, you get some really night light outside at 3-4ish at the moment.
If you've got the kit, try some strobist stuff...

Rally bus
If neither of you have experience of model photography it'd be a good idea to print off some sample poses from the interweb to use for ideas.

Don't know what gear you have but use off camera lighting if you can.

If you haven't got a reflector try and get a car windscreen sun reflector thing (might not sell them in Scotland?). I picked up one in a Poundland shop, white one side, silver the other, ideal for outside shoots.

Yaris
Here she is. (Don't be a b*****d with any smart replies, she's sound)

The only other lens I have apart from the one that came with the cam is a Nikon 55-200mm

girl.jpg

Clio
Um I can't help at all, but I'm pretty sure she is up to the job, which makes your job easier. So if your photos are pap its your fault not hers;) lol

Ian

Focus TDCi
I'd recommend looking for a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, in particular page 93 onwards which is the section on light. In brief (and this only how I understand it having read it on the train today) then the main consideration is where you are shooting and what light already exists there.

I'll go into it in more depth if you like, but there's quite a lot to consider!

Also, a little fashion photography trick seems to be to cut off the top of the head ever so slightly to make the model appear to fill the frame more and appear more intimate.

I'd trust what the duck and other people have said though.

Lowest ISO lighting will allow for.
Use a reflector to remove shadows
Large Apperture (Greater than F/2.8)
Make sure she is relaxed, so do them somewhere she will be comfortable.
If using flash, make sure you use a diffuser. if its a built in flash buy some thin rizla and stick one of the flash.

large apertures will reduce DOF not what you want for glamour shots.

make sure its warm, make sure she does not wear tight clothing as skin marks are not attractive.

better off without flash, natural light with gold reflector will give a warm result.

I'd probably not go below 50mm either to keep perspective in check.

my model stuff here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quantumcapture/collections/72157594587982270/

loads of glamour groups on flickr for you check out also.

Also, a little fashion photography trick seems to be to cut off the top of the head ever so slightly to make the model appear to fill the frame more and appear more intimate.

Good tip that. Never noticed it before but once you'd said that ive noticed loads on flickr with the tops of heads cut off.