ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Time for belts?

172 + 350z
Just wondering if it's time my belts were done on the car.
They were last done at 08/08/09 prior to me buying the car, the mileage was 44,000.
I picked the car up on 53,000 and now I have had the car about 7 months and the mileage is now 62,000.
Having read a few stories and been told every 3 years or 30,000 wondering what other users would do.
Got a quote from Rs tuning and it's going to be around £510.

172 + 350z
That's what I am thinking! Always that bit nervous when booting it now I have started thinking about it! Lol

Renault clio 2005
Just wondering if it's time my belts were done on the car.
They were last done at 08/08/09 prior to me buying the car, the mileage was 44,000.
I picked the car up on 53,000 and now I have had the car about 7 months and the mileage is now 62,000.
Having read a few stories and been told every 3 years or 30,000 wondering what other users would do.
Got a quote from Rs tuning and it's going to be around £510.

If You want to get them done for your own worry free existence the maximum cost should be £420 for a good garage to do a good job. £510 is too much for half a days work. You are not employing a brain surgeon to do this it aint rocket science tbh.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I see Chaz is handing out cambelt advice again, this is going to get interesting.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Aux belt officially is 5 years 36k

Just CS says 3 years.

Renault clio 2005
A normal mechanic with no experience of these, 9 hours. It's the experience that really pays off, as you know exactly what has to come off.

Thanks for your reply I would happily pay £510 for 9 hours work mate. I may have been ignorant with My original assumptions that it would be the same amount of work as a peugeot 306 hdi cambelt. I still think it is alot of money to pay But can understand that it needs to be done. And me and My mates will happily pay that for a high quality job. It is not worth more than that however mate. who else can earn £380 profit in one day of work other than a doctor lol. Makes me laugh when Renault try charging £650 lol

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Book time is 5.2, has been for a long time. I charge for 4 give or take (allowing for parts price variations)

Renault clio 2005
Book time is 5.2, has been for a long time. I charge for 4 give or take (allowing for parts price variations)

This sounds Like You are an expert in your field tbh. What would be total cost including belts for a 172/182 mate? I will be more than happy to pay an expert More than £40 per hour But I have heard so many stories when people have paid £700 for a cambelt change and it has made the car worse due to timing issues. and then 7 months later there cambelt has snapped due to incorrect tension. I am sorry to hassle you over this. But I cannot part with alot of money when I know There are alot of garages out there that will say cambelt should be changed every year. I know that is incorrect. Thanks again for Your replies.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
£510 is too much for half a days work..... it aint rocket science tbh.

This sounds Like You are an expert in your field tbh. I will be more than happy to pay an expert More than £40 per hour.... But I cannot part with alot of money when I know There are alot of garages out there that will say cambelt should be changed every year. I know that is incorrect. Thanks again for Your replies.

Are you actually on crack? Like.......... serious question

If You want to get them done for your own worry free existence the maximum cost should be £420 for a good garage to do a good job. £510 is too much for half a days work. You are not employing a brain surgeon to do this it aint rocket science tbh.

Who let the clown bucket in?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'll work all day for £50 then and let you have all parts at cost, how's that? Oh, and here's my Mom and Sister to so feel free to have a go on them also.

In business to make money? That concept will never catch on mate.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Chaz how many brain surgeons do you know that could do a belt change? If you dont know what you're doing then it may as well be brain surgery. £371 BARGAIN IMO... £150 saved for a few hours drive. ..

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I charge 450 all in. Middle ground for pricing. Never be the cheapest. You attract cheapscates who want even more for nothing, but never be the most expensive as that is greedy (and that is pretty much my entire business model laid bare lol)

Blackgold 182
I find a lot of people have this attitude today of 'he's only a mechanic'! When did this cease to be a desirable trade?!! As far I'm concerned a good mechanic is worth his weight in gold. And as for brain surgeons.....I wouldnt get out of bed for less than £350 a day so why should I expect my (probably more qualified/trained) mechanic to do so?!!

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I charge 450 all in. Middle ground for pricing. Never be the cheapest. You attract cheapscates who want even more for nothing, but never be the most expensive as that is greedy (and that is pretty much my entire business model laid bare lol)

I'm waiting for you to improve on Mick's offer ;)

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Damn!!! I was hoping to get some bizarre auction going whereby I actually get you guys to pay me for doing work on my car!!

:)

Renault clio 2005
I will be totally honest in this post I cannot speak For everyone But I respect a mechanic more than some other trades. A good mechanic can do a great job and should earn at least £40 per hour. I would be more than happy to pay that all day every day. But I would not pay a bad one more than 5 quid an hour. Everyone here hates me and I understand why to a certain point. I have emailed the site admin and asked to be removed from the forum and I have also sent a message on facebook to be removed. I have had no response to either of these correspondence. I am sorry to the op that this thread has been taken off topic.

I will be totally honest in this post I cannot speak For everyone But I respect a mechanic more than some other trades. A good mechanic can do a great job and should earn at least £40 per hour. I would be more than happy to pay that all day every day. But I would not pay a bad one more than 5 quid an hour. Everyone here hates me and I understand why to a certain point. I have emailed the site admin and asked to be removed from the forum and I have also sent a message on facebook to be removed. I have had no response to either of these correspondence. I am sorry to the op that this thread has been taken off topic.

If by 'bad' mechanic you mean, a ripoff half assed prick then yes, that's fine. They may have the knowledge but if they're out to make money by ripping people off instead of making a name by delivering a top service then f**k 'em.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

Chaz, solve all your problems by clicking HERE

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Thanks for your reply I would happily pay £510 for 9 hours work mate. I may have been ignorant with My original assumptions that it would be the same amount of work as a peugeot 306 hdi cambelt. I still think it is alot of money to pay But can understand that it needs to be done. And me and My mates will happily pay that for a high quality job. It is not worth more than that however mate. who else can earn £380 profit in one day of work other than a doctor lol. Makes me laugh when Renault try charging £650 lol

its not £380 profit it covers wages,insurance,company overheads ect.
most mechanics get around £10 an hour wage.

think of what you charge for a driving lesson and after you takes out ur expenses for fuel,insurance,wage ect how much profit is left.

Renault clio 2005
its not £380 profit it covers wages,insurance,company overheads ect.
most mechanics get around £10 an hour wage.

think of what you charge for a driving lesson and after you takes out ur expenses for fuel,insurance,wage ect how much profit is left.

Very very true I earn about minimum wage lol. Busy week i may earn £7.50 an hour lol