ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ticking noise under the the car

MG ZS180 Mk2
Hi all.

Noticed tonight that I was getting a ticking noise from the car.
You cannot really hear it from inside the car and it isn't that loud from under the bonnet. You can hear it the most from underneath the car or from outside with the bonnet closed.
I have read up on that charcoal thingy and thought it might be that but most people have said they can hear it from inside and I can't and no-one has mentioned hearing it from underneath.

If it is that, will the stealers do this under warrenty (05 car so still a bit of time left)?

Thanks

I've had this and you can hear it inside the car aswell as outside. If you put your ear to the front bumper the valve is pretty much under the front light and you will know if it's that.
Could maybe just be the car cooling down aswell?
That would be done under warranty but from both times the valve of mine made a ticking noise it has been as a result of the lambda sensor.

MG ZS180 Mk2
Just an update. I had another listen today. The noise is louder from under the car. I listened near the front bumper but it wasn't really audible from there.
When I rev the car the noise goes between 1600 and 1800 rpm and also after 2500rpm.

Still think it is the charcoal filter?

Clio 172 Cup
could be the exhaust or a heat shield.

another from huntingdon, i've only just really started to use ths site today and have seen about 3 members who re within five miles of me! don't get that on renault sport forums.

MG ZS180 Mk2
I have ruled out the heat shields as I have had a play with them and it made no difference. It sounds like it comes from the bottom of the manifold bit where it bends round to join the main section.
If I listen under the bonnet it isn't coming from the engine block itself but I am sure it is somewhere round the exhaust. Can a blowing exhaust cause a ticking noise?