ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thunderbolt Display

TTRS & V50
Ok, done a bit of home-work, my MBP isn't thunderbolt-enabled so couldn't use the features, so would need a Apple Cinema Display instead.

Thunderbolt seems a bit of a gimmick apart from the charging through one cable as you can use the ports in your Mac ?

Regardless of the above, does anyone know my original question, or even a new Cinema Display ?

ACD Release: Sept 2010
ATD Release: Sept 2012

Literally no difference between the above visually..

Last edited:
  133/225/CLS AMG
As above, who knows!

To be honest even the current thunderbolt display isn't exactly a fatty. I have the iMac 27" with the optical drive so I'm waiting for a new one to come out so I can pick the current design display a bit cheaper! haha

TTRS & V50
Yeah I realise no one knows but usually Apple do standard gaps between products. For example in March iPad will have an update and in Sept iPhone 5s etc..

Think i'll just take the plunge and get the Apple Cinema Display, it's not a fatty no, but the NEW iMac is a s**t load slimmer and has a better screen. So with that I thought they would do a display version. Which i'm sure they will but surely it won't be till the new year at least.

2.2 bar shed.
s**t load slimmer? Its really not. That and the screens are the same 2560x1440 are they not?

133/225/CLS AMG
It is slimmer, and possibly by a decent percentage but the previous model was probably a little over an inch in depth so it's not like comparing a CRT to an LCD.

Still, I'd expect a new display to be released alongside the new iMac to be honest or shortly after anyway. Purely so they tie in with the rest of the range.

They've made a few tweaks to the screen but as far as I'm aware the resolution is the same.

133/225/CLS AMG
LOL! That price! Damn... When are Apple ever going to learn, charging an arm and a leg for a computer that someone can get an equivalent if not better spec for half the price.

You say that but plenty of people do. I mean look at the iPad Mini thread, loads of orders and yet the iPad Mini is more expensive than others on the market.

That said, Apple put more time into the build quality, aesthetics and quality of their products than a lot of PC manufacturers.

You say that but plenty of people do. I mean look at the iPad Mini thread, loads of orders and yet the iPad Mini is more expensive than others on the market.

That said, Apple put more time into the build quality, aesthetics and quality of their products than a lot of PC manufacturers.

Each to their own I guess. Saying that I am Anti-Apple (apart from the iPhone 5, I did get one of them... They are improving).

133/225/CLS AMG
I've only recently been an Apple fan this last couple of years. Started with the iPhone 4, then iPad and iMac most recently iPhone 5. Always thought their stuff was a gimmick, shiny boxes for premium prices but I was wrong.

Admittedly you do pay for the look and feel of these products but they work as good as they look. I don't intend to become an Apple fanboy and slate everything else but I've been won over by how well they work not how good they look. :)

I've only recently been an Apple fan this last couple of years. Started with the iPhone 4, then iPad and iMac most recently iPhone 5. Always thought their stuff was a gimmick, shiny boxes for premium prices but I was wrong.

Admittedly you do pay for the look and feel of these products but they work as good as they look. I don't intend to become an Apple fanboy and slate everything else but I've been won over by how well they work not how good they look. :)

Just bought 3 Mac Book Pro's at work the IT guy was a Windows fan... Now he swears by Mac. Maybe I'm missing out? I can't justify spending that amount of money on one though. Maybe I will build a HackinTosh.

133/225/CLS AMG
All I would say is give it a go if you have the option. I'm still getting used to the little changes that spending nearly 20 years using Windows gets you used too. Overall the the Mac OS is great to use. Certainly if I was buying a laptop it'd be a Macbook now. I'm still exploring though as I'd like to get more out of it, it's nice to come home from a day supporting Windows users to a different operating system anyway haha.

TTRS & V50
I ran out of my post quota so I PM'd Sam below.

Anyway, I had this conversation with a lad from work today and why would they release a Thunderbolt 2 months ago if they're going to change to the iMac screen ? It doesn't make sense. So with that I don't think they'll release another display for at least 6 months.

So.. I'm going to cough up £900 for a display tonight :)

s**t load slimmer? Its really not. That and the screens are the same 2560x1440 are they not?

At least 50% slimmer at the edges.
75% less reflective.

LCD moved right up against the glass

Massive difference IMO. It's not all about resolution (well it is, but it's pretty s**t hot as it is, it doesn't need a major change in that department, although a change for the better is always good).

133/225/CLS AMG
This is the thing, the iMac is 50% slimmer at the edges but there's apparently a lump in the middle. Aesthetically the current iMac vs 20011 iMac is minimal, the tech spec is more important.

As for the display, they'll release a slimmer one but the current one is sill impressive. I'd imagine seeing them side by side may highlight the difference but I'm sat typing this on a 27" iMac and it's awesome haha.

TTRS & V50
f**k it, i'll get one then, next question. New or used ? New with student discount is 820, used is 6-700 but risk dead pixels, marks etc etc.

133/225/CLS AMG
Well if you can get a mint used one and save yourself £200-300 then go for that, considering it is 'just' a monitor, all be it an awesome one haha.