ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thumping noise from sub......

Had 172, now 182
In need of some advice....
Recently got a new pioneer headunit, problem is, when its all connected up, even at very very very low volume, the sub is making thumping noises.... With my previous sony head unit, no problems at all.....
Have done some research and have found that a decent earth point is needed for the head unit itself.. Has anyone had the same problems? If so, how did they rectify it?

Mk6 Fiesta Zs
yea mate i had the exact problem. have you got the wee ring at the end of your cable? if so, take out one of the screws for your rear lights, pull the carpet stuff back and sand in there. stick the ring round the screw and tighten it all back up. done the trick for me. sorry if that made no sense. bitty tired :eek:

Had 172, now 182
Your talking about the earth point for the amp yeah? Because what i read was i need to do a seperate earth point for the head unit.....
However, if you had the same issue and it worked, i will try it!!

Mk6 Fiesta Zs
i had a thin blue cable that caused me a bit of trouble too and that went into the back of the headunit. maybe that would be worth a check too if you have that. sorry for the basic info. not really too much in the know when it comes to things like this :eek: let me know how it goes though mate.

edit: yea was talking about the earth point for the amp mate. not too sure on the second part though mate, sorry!

vaux cavalier
Sounds like you may have damaged the Head Units earth tracks....

Will assume you haven't located the source of your interference yet, so here's a post from a thread I did on another forum....

Background noise/Alternator whine....

To sort this you need to actually locate the source of the noise....

Is the noise only present with the engine running....

YES---Then its going to be a ground loop scenario, in 90% of cases its poor amplifier earthing that's the root cause....

Amplifiers should be earthed to the boot floor using good quality connectors, the earth site should be cleaned back to bare metal and once tightened treated against corrosion....

NO---Then chances are its down to a faulty item.....

With system switched OFF....

Remove the RCA leads from the affected amplifier....

Switch system on and play as normal....is the noise still present??

YES---Then its an amplifier or associated wiring fault, (Speaker cable pinched & shorting?? Speaker terminal shorting to a door panel?? etc etc)

NO---Then the fault is before the amplification stage, carry on...

With system switched OFF...

Refit the RCA leads into the amp, remove the head unit from the dash and remove the RCA leads from the back of it....

Switch system on and play as normal....is the noise still present??

YES---Then its a faulty RCA lead, simply replace the affected lead.....

NO---This would indicate you are using a PIONEER head unit which at some point has been connected up or disconnected incorrectly which has caused an earth track fault,(it can affect other brands, but the main culprit is PIONEER)...

To get round this fault,(it's not a repair, it's simply a quick fix), you should do the following;

Run a fused direct live,(20amp cable fused at 15amps), from the battery to the head unit,(essentially bypassing the audio looms constant live). you should leave in place the ign live so the unit operates as it should on the ign...

Run the head units earth,(again bypassing the stock audio loom), direct to the cars chassis,(use 20amp cable & ensure you select a good earth site and clean the area back to bare metal), the condition of this earth site will affect the success of this quick fix...

You will now need to earth the RCA plugs outer sleeves to the head units chassis,(i usually use the head units rear support screw location), this fix should solve most cases, but on occasion it can be necasary to also earth the head units mounting cage to the cars chassis....

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
i had a thin blue cable that caused me a bit of trouble too and that went into the back of the headunit. maybe that would be worth a check too if you have that. sorry for the basic info. not really too much in the know when it comes to things like this :eek: let me know how it goes though mate.

That'll be the remote...

Had 172, now 182
done some playing around and your advice would point towards the rca leads.... however..... when installing my old stereo, it works perfectly fine?
God damn pain in the ass stereos!! After the thumping has settled down, which is does from time to time, the sound quality is amazing! The Type R hits just about every note now! All good!! Will continue to test and play tho!! Thanks for all your help!!

vaux cavalier
I did a more detailed quick fix for the earth track fault before, will go search for it now & post a link or paste the post here shortly.....