ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle bodies??? Cheap alternative

clio sport 172
I'm thinking about getting some throttle bodies for my 172. Iv heard about some people using ones of bikes like fire blades and gsxr's.

I have found these on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Triumph-TT600...mQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item45f1926963

Now I'm not thinking about buying these exact ones but i just want to see what people think and if anyone can give me any feed back on the idea!

I can make a manifold on my laser and do all welding needed to make these fit.

What else is needed to make my car run? Throttle cable conversion? New ecu?
Really don't know a great deal on the work involved:(

ITB'd MK1
Done properly, they can be fantastic

Image011.jpg

evoii36.jpg

evoii24.jpg

but doing them like this isn't going to be much less money than buying purpose made items

clio sport 172
Thanks hutchie, is it just a simple case of making them fit, converting to a throttle cable and connecting injectors and fuel line?

Thanks danny, will have a read now.

clio sport 172

could give you opinions and advice, but tbh, it's easier if you just read this.....

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=113540

tells you pretty much everything you'll ever need to know about bike bodies on a car, pro's, cons, and opinions

Done properly, they can be fantastic

Image011.jpg

evoii36.jpg

evoii24.jpg

but doing them like this isn't going to be much less money than buying purpose made items

Im an engineer with cnc laths, millers, lasers and water jet machines at my disposal so if i can buy some decent bodies i can make the rest for nothing:)

clio sport 172
Thinking about it, would i not be able to use some throttle bodies off an R1 with fly by wire? So i wouldnt need to run on a throttle cable?

All in cost for that sort of setup is £500 ish plus the original bodies. One of the benefits is that it is a complete solution, including fuel rail, throttle position sensor etc. The throttle cam is modified so that the pedal has more travel, since the bike doesnt have a great deal.

One thing that shouldn't be overlooked is that the manifold length and angle is fairly critical to making them a good setup or not.

clio sport 172
I have a set of 954 carbs in my shed from my old blade :evil:

Carb's drink wayyyyyyyyy too much fuel for me. Im liking the look of these bodies tho! So does anyone know if i can use throttle bodies of an R1 with fly by wire, whether it will be compatible of not??

They look exactly the same as what a lads running on his 1.6 on zsoc, what are they off (inc. manifold)?
If you mean Jason Cooper, then yes (my engine).

believe they're GSX-R1000 bodies, manifold is for an Mi16, setup made my Colin Satchell of Pure Motorsport
Colin Satchell does work for Pure Motorsport, but they are separate. Colin and I develop the GSXR kits together, but he makes and supplies them.

I take it that both flanges and pipes are made out of a hard grade aluminum and machined after welding?
The flanges are CNC machined from plate, the pipes are rolled with a special machine Colin made to roll the bends without collapsing the section. The flanges and pipes are welded on a jig, the internal shape is hand ported, the head flange is fly cut flat, then the outer flange is CNC machined to ensure a precision fit for the TBs, which seal with O-rings in grooves turned into the bodies. Alot of work!

alien green rs133
Hutchie, do you have any better pics of how you put the trumpets on?

i made some pikey brackets to sit over lip in trumpets and fasten to the three bolts on each pair of boddies

18189064a12058922747o.jpg

you can see the stainless above, its now housed inside of the airbox/filter its not pretty, does the job.

had to make a custom backing plate as fuel rail is in the way of a completly flat one, and jenveys backing plate has too much of a dish, filer would of been level with front of the car :rasp:

clio sport 172
If you mean Jason Cooper, then yes (my engine).

Colin Satchell does work for Pure Motorsport, but they are separate. Colin and I develop the GSXR kits together, but he makes and supplies them.

The flanges are CNC machined from plate, the pipes are rolled with a special machine Colin made to roll the bends without collapsing the section. The flanges and pipes are welded on a jig, the internal shape is hand ported, the head flange is fly cut flat, then the outer flange is CNC machined to ensure a precision fit for the TBs, which seal with O-rings in grooves turned into the bodies. Alot of work!

Sounds like a days work to make but a months worth of thinking and lots of samples to make first. I'll be using a waterjet machining centre to profile cut the flanges out of 12mm aluminium. For the pipes i'll probably have to roll a large radius (of which im not sure yet:S ), then cut my 4 pieces out of it.
Ill have to make all this out of mild steel first to make sure it fits and to make a jig around.
All the machining to the flanges will be done after welding IE: O-Ring groves, injector ports and facing off the flanges as welding them will warp them to f*%k.
These pics Sideways danny put up are a great help tho and i wouldn't have been able to think of making them for myself with out them.

ITB'd MK1
i made some pikey brackets to sit over lip in trumpets and fasten to the three bolts on each pair of boddies

18189064a12058922747o.jpg

you can see the stainless above, its now housed inside of the airbox/filter its not pretty, does the job.

had to make a custom backing plate as fuel rail is in the way of a completly flat one, and jenveys backing plate has too much of a dish, filer would of been level with front of the car :rasp:

ah, that's kind of what i thought, just so hard finding trumpets of a decent type that are adaptable.

alien green rs133
heres a rough picture of mine (mock up) before it got welded

18189064a11151024192o.jpg

and danny my trumpets are off AT power and are a perfect fit

18189064a11151024222o.jpg

ITB'd MK1
Sounds like a days work to make but a months worth of thinking and lots of samples to make first. I'll be using a waterjet machining centre to profile cut the flanges out of 12mm aluminium. For the pipes i'll probably have to roll a large radius (of which im not sure yet:S ), then cut my 4 pieces out of it.
Ill have to make all this out of mild steel first to make sure it fits and to make a jig around.
All the machining to the flanges will be done after welding IE: O-Ring groves, injector ports and facing off the flanges as welding them will warp them to f*%k.
These pics Sideways danny put up are a great help tho and i wouldn't have been able to think of making them for myself with out them.

sounds like a cool project as a 1 off :)

Well worth looking at as many designs of bodies as you can find. The best design bike bodies i found for adapting to cars looked to be going for a fairly heavy amount of cash sadly

clio sport 172
sounds like a cool project as a 1 off :)

Well worth looking at as many designs of bodies as you can find. The best design bike bodies i found for adapting to cars looked to be going for a fairly heavy amount of cash sadly

Im wanting to still use my FBW system so this is my biggest Ball ache.
Im now thinking about butchering a standard throttle body and mounting it on the bike throttle bodies as a way of opening the butterflies. Im not too sure whether the motor in the standard body will be strong enough tho. I can only try i guess:)

ITB'd MK1
Im wanting to still use my FBW system so this is my biggest Ball ache.
Im now thinking about butchering a standard throttle body and mounting it on the bike throttle bodies as a way of opening the butterflies. Im not too sure whether the motor in the standard body will be strong enough tho. I can only try i guess:)

I really wouldn't bother, you're making work for yourself, making that right would be a minefield electronically. Simplify as much as you can

clio sport 172
I really wouldn't bother, you're making work for yourself, making that right would be a minefield electronically. Simplify as much as you can

I thought that was simple and no new electronics needed. I'm not wanting to take a standard one apart, just butcher the casing abit and remove the old butterfly. Ill have to get some pic's up of the plan!

ITB'd MK1
I thought that was simple and no new electronics needed. I'm not wanting to take a standard one apart, just butcher the casing abit and remove the old butterfly. Ill have to get some pic's up of the plan!

you're going to need new management anyway. stock ECU will NOT do an adequate job

clio sport 172
Splendid Danny, Ill be putting a bid on these me thinks!!!

Quick question tho, will the injectors holes need bored out to fit Megane injectors?

Last edited: