ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thoughts on this Clio 182?

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been searching for a good while now and have come across this -

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...radius/1500/postcode/ab219jl/page/3?logcode=p

Any thoughts on it? Well priced? I was really wanting a FF 182 but the main reason for this was the Xenons and half leather seat. I think this is all the cup is missing, isn't it? Well since this car has the recaro's that trumps the half leather seats, however, it is missing Xenons which is a bit of a bummer. This car is in my favourite colour though so I reckon I could pass on the Xenons for the Recaros and RB colour. There is no record of the Aux belt being changed so I would have to factor in the cost of having this done.

So, do you guys reckon it's worth the 2-2.5 hour drive to have a look?

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
17   0   0
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Looks good mate.

Not badly priced and if the service history checks out it would be worth a punt - and the 2nd best coloured 182 available ;)

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking over the pictures again I notice it is still on standard exhaust (maybe replaced at some point) and a wheel centre cap is missing. Would this put anybody off?

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
17   0   0
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
After looking over the pictures again I notice it is still on standard exhaust (maybe replaced at some point) and a wheel centre cap is missing. Would this put anybody off?

A little but a good check of the exhaust when hot and cold will help make your mind up and a centre cap can be had of ebay no problems.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good spot. What would cause it to be on? The battery light is on aswell, so I assume the ignition is just armed, engine not actually running. Should the stop light not be on at this point?

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Check for cambelt and auxbelt. The exhaust and centre cap wouldn't put me off personally... Decent price too!

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How??? There is no proof of the auxillary belt being done?

Check and check again what has been done if you are deffo interested mate.

Sorry, you are correct. Technically there isn't a full service history. The service book is fully stamped up - I think, it's something that I will check. However, there was no paperwork for the timing belt or aux belt. The dealer contacted the previous owner who told him that it was changed at Performance HQ in Fife in June 2010. The dealer called Performace HQ and they confirmed the timing belt and tensioners were changed but they have no record of the Aux belt being changed. This is obviously something I will need to confirm for myself and make sure they have used the proper locking tools for doing the job.

Trader Rating - 100%
16   0   0
looks quite high to me !! have they got the right springs on there !! or is it just me being used to seeing all clio's dropped , has the yokohama's as well , so may of had coilovers on once before it was sold !!:D

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  NOBLE M400 + TOYS +
offer him £2.8k max as u'll b expectin money off for no road tax and ur time hassle for travelling so so far to view it

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
^ Surely letting the dealer know you are travelling miles to collect it means they are less likely to drop the price. Seeing as you have travelled all that way it means you are more than just "interested" and more likely to be wanting to leave with a sale if the car checks out...

Just my opinion on the matter...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
Trader Rating - 100%
14   0   0
  Whichever has fuel
offer him £2.8k max as u'll b expectin money off for no road tax and ur time hassle for travelling so so far to view it

The more you post the more I think you're mentally handicapped.

Infact I think you've confirmed it.

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Evo 5 RS
^ this tbh, if you came to me distance or no distance and offered me that, I'd call you a mug and slam the door in your face.

I'll remember that next time I go to view a car up north, I might even sue the c**t for inconvenience and not delivering it to me personally.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
Trader Rating - 100%
14   0   0
  Whichever has fuel

And what has road tax got to do with it?? Every car I sell of my own I cash the tax back in anyway. Its a government duty to be paid for by the registered keeper of the car. So if you buy it, you can tax it.

If you used that as a bargaining tool with me i'd spit on your chips and bid you good day.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it isn't taxed then I will try and knock a bit off for that, however I don't think the travelling part is much of a bargaining tool. Depending on the quote I get for having the Aux belt replaced I plan to go in at 3k, maybe less is it costs more than expected to have the Aux belt changed. I will have no problems at all leaving without the car. £60 on fuel and a wasted day is better than a money pit in the long run.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  NOBLE M400 + TOYS +
mate its a buyers mkt for these sort of cars, there's 0000's on the mkt, dont be shy to even ask £1k off, especially with 70k odd miles, may not seem high for the yr but there are 000's out there with lower miles, also think of resale in couple of yrs time when u come to sell it, mileage would b close to 100k!!

You defo can bag a bargin due to recession, unless its a diesel which is highly economical with cheap or free road tax (these cars are appreciating, gotlupo tdi cars worth £4k+ frm £2k 3yrs back, if u can actually find one forsale) the price is always negotiable, if not just walk away as there's 000's odd to choose from!

example; check these two, trader was askin 4k+ few months back;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-182-TIMING-BELT-JUST-DONE-2895-/250790001810?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a643fbc92#ht_1211wt_937

j
ust knocked £1k off and there still for sale!!!

goodluck

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dealer has clarified a few more things. Service history is as follows:

Services are at 04/07/2006 - 13986 miles, 23/09/2008 - 42489 miles, 30/09/2010 - 62853 miles

Does this sound correct. I don't like the fact it went 30k miles without a service. There are receipts with the car other than for 2 tyres and front brakes. It also only comes with 1 key.

I'm starting to think I ought to keep looking. I have found another RB 182 with less miles, would appear to be better looked after but is about 600 more and about 8 hours away so if i factor in travel costs its about 800 more.

There is one which i almost had my heart set on which is a lot closer in the North of England but I am sure the seller doesn't want to sell it as he doesn't reply to emails for until I chase him up.

I hate buying used cars.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  RB 182
I think its about right for the money. That isnt a full history and its not ideal it comes with 1 key, but its cheap for a RB with the Recaros. You can never expect tax from a dealer so that doesnt really come into it.

Up to you though if somethings not right dont bother.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  NOBLE M400 + TOYS +
The dealer has clarified a few more things. Service history is as follows:

Services are at 04/07/2006 - 13986 miles, 23/09/2008 - 42489 miles, 30/09/2010 - 62853 miles

Does this sound correct. I don't like the fact it went 30k miles without a service. There are receipts with the car other than for 2 tyres and front brakes. It also only comes with 1 key.

I'm starting to think I ought to keep looking. I have found another RB 182 with less miles, would appear to be better looked after but is about 600 more and about 8 hours away so if i factor in travel costs its about 800 more.

There is one which i almost had my heart set on which is a lot closer in the North of England but I am sure the seller doesn't want to sell it as he doesn't reply to emails for until I chase him up.

I hate buying used cars.

id keep away from it, at that price, most likely been thrashed between the 30k non service record period or might of been self serviced?? u just dont know

if you got a budget of around £3.5k look at the 4.5-5k cars as u'll get them down if they want to sell, cars with <40k miles only at this price range!

also its coming up to xmas slow sale time so expect prices to come down further, 1-2 owner car will hold its money more in the long term than a 6-8 owner example, it makes a massive massive difference to a performance cars value in the long term

dont be phased by shiney paintwork as anyone can buy a buffer with a few sheets of a 2000 grit and coats of poorboys along with swirl x make a 70k thrashed example shiney again, main buyin point should b mileage/ history & no of owners

Last edited:
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its about right for the money. That isnt a full history and its not ideal it comes with 1 key, but its cheap for a RB with the Recaros. You can never expect tax from a dealer so that doesnt really come into it.

Up to you though if somethings not right dont bother.

If I could get him down to £3000 then I might consider it but I would need to budget for having the Aux belt replaced and having the car taxed. Not so cheap then. Plus, there are no receipts for anything so all the usual 182 problems that are usually sorted by 70k could be lurking in the background somewhere. He seem like a decent, genuine dealer though. Not many dealers put in the effort to sell a car these days. He has been spot on with communications and went out his way to find out about the timing belt history.

Hmmm...

There is also another RB 182 I have found. 2005, FF, timing belt and Aux belt done. 67k. Mot 04/2012, tax 12/11, Miltek exhaust, 2 owners from new and pretty spotless. FSH, all paperwork etc. £3700 but it is about 8 hours away so would have to add at least £200 for travel costs.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could get him down to £3000 then I might consider it

Well this isn't going to happen. Best he said he could do was knock £50 off! He says he will normally knock £100 off but because he has had so much interest in the car he is sure it will sell so is reluctant to knock anything off but best he can do is £50. I reckon it's about time I thanked him for all of his assistance and coms and wished him good luck on the sale.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  RB 182
Still think the price is OK as it stands. Its a 2 owner car and its got the Recaro's (which if you're bothered about having will set you back £700 - £800.

The lack of history isn't ideal but its still worth a look at £3350 IMO.

Bet if you were waving £3200 cash in his face he would take it.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not too fussed about Recaro's, they certainly aren't a deal maker. I'd have to spend £150-£200 on having the Aux belt changed, £120ish for tax, £400-ish for a new exhaust (eventually) and undoubtably a few other bits and bobs after going over the car with a fine toothcomb. So that's almost £800 there. I would rather buy a well looked after, lower milage with FSH base car and worry about cosmetics at a later date. Although I do LOVE the colour and the seats are nice. I think that is all the car has going for it really.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Recaro's aren't worth the added premium IMO. I had Recaro's in my old MR2 and they were chronically uncomfortable on long journeys. The recaro's in my brother's old Evo IX MRFQ360 weren't the comfiest either on long journeys. I can see their appeal though as they look great but I don't think they are worth the 7-800 premium.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry mate, I am looking for a near standard one.

I emailed the dealer saying thanks but no thanks and he came back saying he would do it for 3200 cash. Slightly better but still would need the Aux belt changed which i have been quoted over 300 for and the exhaust changed.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
id keep looking, get a good one atleast! you dont wanna start finding faults or problems after buying one straight away. go for fsh, belts done, 2 keys you get the idea.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  NOBLE M400 + TOYS +
Sorry mate, I am looking for a near standard one.

I emailed the dealer saying thanks but no thanks and he came back saying he would do it for 3200 cash. Slightly better but still would need the Aux belt changed which i have been quoted over 300 for and the exhaust changed.

you want to go for something like this, make him a offer as car needs work, at least if you get the belts changed you'll know they've been done;

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...de/tw106rh/radius/1500/keywords/182?logcode=p

Last edited: