ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

thinking of buying a project car..

LY R26
Well I feel I dont have much left to do to my car to get it looking the way I want it, so soon enough I will have some spare cash and my dad has always wanted to do this too so he will chip in. Should i start a project car? I'm only 17 and want to get a cheap ph1 sport to crack on with, and maybe track it some time? obviosly wont get insured on it yet so no road use for me:( So is this sensible or should I wait a bit longer? Any of you lot done this at 17?

Richy

200 cup/Btm'd ph1
why not?
Swap your clio for something that can tow(defender) and a trailer.
Find somewhere to work and store the car.
Insure your dad for road use for when you need to test modifications, then go to as mean track days as your budget allows. Gutted i didnt start them when i could have.

Also the plus side of having a defender you'll have a sparking license when your a bit older becauase there so low!

LY R26
my dads audi has a detatchable to bar so that is sorted, friend has a trailer which i could use, i have a double garage full lighting etc and a spare old gawrage, thats that side covered, i want to keep my clio as im loving the insurance just now. will need to have a chat with him and see what finances are like just now, will need to save for a few months and see what happens, its something ive always wanted to do.

oh and my dad works in the forces and one of the bases is only a couple of miles away and we are allowed use of the airfield(which is where i learnt to drive before I was 17) so in theory we wouldnt need insurance as we could test it there. to begin with it wont have major engine mods, maybe later on once money allows!

DCi 100
Mmm, split in halfs about this. Don't see why you can't buy some decent wheels tires, seats and a wheel etc for your non sport ready to stick into an RS.

Or you could get the 172 as planned and get as much weight out of possible, wheels tires and suspension, learn to drive it on track.

LY R26
well on monday im getting buckets, x-low subframes and a sport rear bench and im getting turbines too, which i was planning on swapping to the sport, and putting the sport front seats in my clio now and selling the spare rear bench, i guess i just need to look into it more and save up along with my dad, wont be happening for a wee while unfortunatley:(

1.4 phase 1
Buy a mark1 clio as a track car toy. nothing stopping you from making a sleeper, 1.2 shell with a 2.0 engine is always fun.

LY R26
i dont have the capabilities to do that tbh^^ would love a mk2 ph1 as a track/road car, would love a ph2 but cant afford that atm with my car, if my dad chips in i may be able to get a mint ph1 or he might take fancy to another base car..

in either case the people in his work get scrap cars for shooting at/learning to escape difficult situations etc and he gets the mechanics to nip out and take bits off them ig he needs them so i can get some parts for free if need be.

tbh ive always wanted a sleeper, especially after getting nailed by a redtop turbo sleeper! but again mechanical know how limits me:( a shared project would be amazing if someone local had the know how! and i chipped in with help and cash.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
i dont have the capabilities to do that tbh^^ would love a mk2 ph1 as a track/road car, would love a ph2 but cant afford that atm with my car, if my dad chips in i may be able to get a mint ph1 or he might take fancy to another base car..

in either case the people in his work get scrap cars for shooting at/learning to escape difficult situations etc and he gets the mechanics to nip out and take bits off them ig he needs them so i can get some parts for free if need be.

tbh ive always wanted a sleeper, especially after getting nailed by a redtop turbo sleeper! but again mechanical know how limits me:( a shared project would be amazing if someone local had the know how! and i chipped in with help and cash.

The only way to learn is to do it.

You need to decide why you want to do a project car.
Do you want to buy a car to restore as such, you could potentially buy a shed of a Rspot car and then do it up over the next to years till you can afford to insure it.
Or if your buying it as a track car you want to buy a MK 1 and do a F4R conversion or buy a PH1.
The thing about projects is they grow legs so you think "oh i will do it cheaply", but then you want certain parts and you get certain problems and the cost soon rises.
If your able to do most/all of the work yourself this saves alot of money but when you start paying people by the hour it becomes insanely expensive.
Then you have to factor in the cost of when you want to start doing track days this is expensive enough in it self.

Also what are you doing with you life, planning to go to uni? move away?
This is where our project has started to suffer recently because i dont live at home and Carl has had a busy year but the projects back going again now.

LY R26
i do know some stuff and my dad knows quite a bit but not an engine conversion, i have a few friends who a renault mechanics and another few who work for small garages, but dont fancy a conversion tbh, im starting college, living at home and working, the college is 15 miles from home so will just stay at home and when i go to uni then that is roughly 15-20 miles from home so will stay at home, so the cost of rent etc is eliminated..

i dont plan on doing it cheaply, but dont plan on forking out thousands on stuff i dont neccasarily need, plus my dad will be chipping in so that covers some of the costs, i think it would just be a case of getting a mint as possible ph1 on a budget that we havent decided, getting as much weight out as possible and put the turbines im getting for my car on, then the buckets and x-low subframes, then harnesses, cage coilies exhaust etc... then when i win the lottery, get it supercharged haha (i wish)..

i think the fact it would be with my dad then it might end up purely as a track car eventually so it may well end up with serious engine mods again something that will have to be thought about as i get older i guess.

things like exhausts coilies etc i can do so thats fine, and anything engine wise i have friends who are renault mechanics so shouldnt be too bad on that front, i guess im all set, just need to save some funds and speak to my dad!

and as for track days my dad would probably cover 50%-75% of that as he is into all his motorsport and such like, he really does love his cars which is a bonus in any aspect!

330i. E30 Touring.
For a first project car, get a Saxo or 106.

Parts are cheap as chips and plentiful, and you can drop the engine and box out in less than 2 hours, with not much practice! :cool:

LY R26
i was thinking a 106 gti aswell which is a possibilty but would love a sport, ive been reading some of them but havent read up much on yours yet as not got round to it, i will have a peak just now, thanks guys!

330i. E30 Touring.
Seriously, start with a VTS or GTi, and buy one that's battered and could do with some tidying up.

You can normally get a MK2 VTS or 106 for less than £800, needing work. Plenty of parts cheap as chips, and you'll have an able little car (which will probably give you a healthy profit if you put the right mods on..)

Get on 106OC and SaxP and there's some serious bargains to be had!

LY R26
ive been on 106oc before but not since i got my clio and joined this, theres a few gtis and vts' in my area but they will all have been shagged massively! so dont want a local one, i will have a look and get some funds together, iv always wanted a gti anyway, a sport will have to be a project i take on later:(

LY R26
if you have the friends/contacts to show you then all is well, but i dont as only a few of my friends have cars none of them have ever taken an engine out, but yes i know i would be able to do it with the help of someone, but the help of someone is what i am lacking mate:(

Nothing at the mo :(
i sorta got a project soon

my cars gonna be of road for a good half year - 1 year

so while its of road its getting stripped to fook!! lol

1.4 phase 1
tbh im no expert mechanic but doing it will help you learn, does mean the timescale is going to be much longer but it will all be worth it and good knowledge gained.

but i do have some extra help being that my dad is a mechanic and so is one of my mates so we have help if we need it i suppose.