ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of buying a 200EDC

I have a 2002 Cup 172 in excellent condition which I enjoy and proud to own. I work in my local Renault dealership and have the chance to purchase a brand new Clio 200EDC for a great price. I have the spec of a Glacier white with the black exterior trim pack.

I'm seriously weighing it up but wondered if anyone out there has gone from a 1*2 into a Clio 4 200EDC.
  • If so how did you find it in terms of every day use?
  • Do you like the EDC gearbox?
  • Is a turbo car as much fun as a free revving NA engine?
  • What MPG and range do you get from a full tank of fuel?

My wife and I are considering going down to 1 car as she works from home and her Megane 3 sits on the drive all week unused. This presents us with a chance to own a brand new RS model and reduce our monthly out goings for running just 1 car instead of 2.

2014 Clio 200t edc
I’ve driven one and absolutely loved it! The gearbox is definitely great to use, the car felt tight and handled really well I thought. If only I was in the market for a new car I’d snap one up without a doubt.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You work at a Renault dealers but you've never driven a 200T ???

You work at a Renault dealers but you've never driven a 200T ???
We're not a "RENAULT SPORT" dealer group. We can sell the cars, parts and carry out service work but only RUK approved dealers have R.S models as demos and on display in showrooms/forecourts.

Our dealer group didn't sign up as the market isn't busy enough to warrant having them in stock and usually "test drivers" are a waste of time as they have no intention of buying simply want to thrash a demo model and walk away.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
ah right, like Ford Dealers with the RS and Mustang models.
I didn't realise Renault were so precious about the Clio though, Ford let any c**t sell the ST models.

Just another reason why the Fiesta ST sold a shitload more than the 200T.

ah right, like Ford Dealers with the RS and Mustang models.
I didn't realise Renault were so precious about the Clio though, Ford let any c**t sell the ST models.

Just another reason why the Fiesta ST sold a shitload more than the 200T.

This is true, it's also the same story with the new ALPINE model these will only be sold by a select few dealerships in the country in showrooms separate to the Renault showroom and will have a premium feel to them.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You can understand with the Alpine model, thats actually something special 🙈

Clio 197,with megan'
I have a 2002 Cup 172 in excellent condition which I enjoy and proud to own. I work in my local Renault dealership and have the chance to purchase a brand new Clio 200EDC for a great price. I have the spec of a Glacier white with the black exterior trim pack.

I'm seriously weighing it up but wondered if anyone out there has gone from a 1*2 into a Clio 4 200EDC.

My wife and I are considering going down to 1 car as she works from home and her Megane 3 sits on the drive all week unused. This presents us with a chance to own a brand new RS model and reduce our monthly out goings for running just 1 car instead of 2.
My son has a R26 track car, and a 220 Trophy, and he loves the trophy, fantastic gear box, excellent handling etc, and he is very fussy with his cars, so I don't think you should be at all worried about purchasing one.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You do know one of the big differences between the Trophy and the normal 200 is the gearbox right?
or more the improved gearbox map.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Drive one. People seem to love them or hate them. There is a lot of nonsense around surrounding it, i.e. people saying it's s**t without ever having driven one, so the best thing to do is try it yourself.

I drove one and wasn't really a fan, but some people seem to really like them.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I want one, reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllllllyyyyyyyyy need to test drive one soon - After living with a Mk4 for 12 months now as long as it feels quick enough I'll be happy.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

What's the great price ? Most dealers will offer big discounts on them .

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
I liked my 200t. Had it for around 2 years and didn't have any issues with it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
They’re great to drive. Tons of fun.

If you’re buying one from new make sure you spec the RS monitor. @rs 1an will tell you about them. He’s on his 3rd one now.

Ciio 200
I moved from 182 to 200 to 220 Trophy. I owned the 182 and 200 for about 6yrs each before moving to a 220 Trophy last year. All of them are used as daily drivers about 40 miles a day, but down to 25 miles a day since last May due to office move.

For me the Mk4 ECD is a much better daily then the others. The 182 and 200 are amazing on the right road, but they didn’t shine sitting in traffic or driving along in a train of cars doing 25 mph. On clear road, no traffic, a few twisties – the 182 and 200 probably have a bit of an edge in terms of fun, however for me the EDC is much better the rest of the time. Just put it in drive and go when you just want to drive to work, press the RS drive button to put it into sport when you want it a bit more fun.

EDC gearbox – you’ll either love it or hate it. Before the Trophy I’d never even driven an automatic in nearly 20yrs of driving, now I’d find it hard to go back to a manual. If you want to go manual in the EDC all you have to do is pull an up or downshift and it will go manual for 10 seconds, so you can approach a nice bit of road have some fun, then after 10 seconds of no changes, it’ll go back to being an auto. You can also push the gear lever to the left and it will stay in manual mode, you can then also pull the gear lever back / forward to shift too.

I think that the facelift EDC’s (And some later pre-facelifts) have the updated Trophy gearbox. When the Trophy first came out, it was listed as one of the differences in the brochures, but there’s no mention of any difference in shift speeds in more recent brochures.

Is a turbo car more fun than a N/A – probably not, it’s very subjective. The EDC engine doesn’t seem to make any noise, which all comes from the exhaust – whereas the 200 engine sounded great. However put the EDC into sport mode, foot flat on the floor and pull a shift near the top of the rev range and you’ll love the noise from the exhaust. You’ll also love the torque, you don’t need revs as it has torque low down where you use it more often in normal driving.

MPG is difficult to give an accurate figure. I got 35 – 36 mpg from the 182, about 33 -34 mpg from the 200, however I moved work locations last May, so only had about 2-3 weeks doing the same journey in the EDC which I got about 35mpg, slightly better than the 200.

Range wise, the EDC has a smaller tank than the 200 (55l vs 45l – however I could be wrong) I think 182 range matched that of the EDC, but both less than the 200 from my experience.

If possible look at Trophy over the base 200 EDC. They have better equipment (R-Link 2 infotainment instead of Media Nav, rear parking camera, front parking sensors, climate control, folding mirrors) that you don’t get in the standard 200 EDC.

As others have said, you have to get one to test drive for a decent amount of time. I went into my test drive expecting to be disappointed due to poor reviews, but I wasn’t. It’s not a car for everybody, but as somebody who’s been driving Renault Sport cars since 2004, and now in my mid/late 30’s it’s a more grown up car. If I was in my early/mid 20’s perhaps I’d have hated it, but now I don’t care about it being 5 door, as once your friends / family are older, you feel a bit of an idiot squeezing them into the back of a 3 door car.

Hope that covers some of what you wanted to know.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I need someone with a mapped meg to have a go against one and do a 'youtube'

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I’m still waiting for the issues to show their head. Although it’s getting on a bit, are they a good car.....