ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Think you know how to spray?

MK2 Clio
THen Help me out...

Basically, my friend has sprayed my dash strips for me, - brilliantly tbh, and primered and lacquered it as well, just wondering if it would be the same for doing parts to the outside of the car (eg, wing mirrors & bullets) Many Thanks

Sorry for the misleading title, I just wanted someone to view it!

Mustang, S13, AX GT
4-5 relatively thick coats (but no so thick you get runs) will protect it enough provided you dont polish the car weekly..

MK2 Clio
4-5 relatively thick coats (but no so thick you get runs) will protect it enough provided you dont polish the car weekly..

Unfortunatly, I am sad, my little 1.2 gets more polish than petrol :) Thanks For all the advice

valver & 2002 mk2
Someone told me it's a good idea to use a very fine grade of sandpaper to give each layer of lacquer a rub down once it's dried. Not the final one obviously. Might wanna wait til someone fully confirms that though if you're doing full panels, but that's how i do it on my own stuff.

Only thing is, you need a shitload of lacquer! After my mums banger work car got chummy with a post last winter, i landed the lucky task of sourcing a fleebay bumpe then painting and fitting it. Because it's getting scrapped soon i just grabbed a budgets worth of stuff from Halfrodos to keep it reasonable cost wise, and subsequently ran out of lacquer about 4 coats from what i'd have considered finished - and that was about 30 quids worth of it. Add that to primer and paint and the cost can go up quickly if you don't shop around.

Dodgy one
If your doing anything bigger than the dash strips and bullets, get it done properly.

You can put as many coats of laquer on as you want and not get runs as long as you give it the time to flash off.

Good even coats, Good clean spray booth... maybe a mini heat radiator for drying time (i spray in my garage and the cold can cause clouding in paint) set that up right and its nice and warm for good drying time..

Then also the final part of finishing is when the lacquer has cured... flat it down then polish it back up...

Someone told me it's a good idea to use a very fine grade of sandpaper to give each layer of lacquer a rub down once it's dried. Not the final one obviously. Might wanna wait til someone fully confirms that though if you're doing full panels, but that's how i do it on my own stuff.

Definitely DO wet sand the top layer.
In my experience, do loads of thin layers ensuring you get no runs. This will more than likely leave a slight Orange peal effect. Sort this by using 1500, 2000 & 3000 grit wet & dry paper. Then polish.

Did my cup spoiler with halfords rattle cans, and it looks as good as Renault paint tbh.

5089545667_ff5d88ea98.png

Last edited:
  AUDI A5 s-sline
Definitely DO wet sand the top layer.
In my experience, do loads of thin layers ensuring you get no runs. This will more than likely leave a slight Orange peal effect. Sort this by using 1500, 2000 & 3000 grit wet & dry paper. Then polish.

Did my cup spoiler with halfords rattle cans, and it looks as good as Renault paint tbh.

5089545667_ff5d88ea98.png

looks great that mate, i used the same method when doing my front bumper inserts, sport bumper on now though.

3 or 4 coats of primer, leave over night to dry, flat back with 800 grit. Then clean with soapy water!
2 or 3 coats of colour (or just until you've achieved the right colour), leave over night to dry, flat back with 800 grit. Clean again.
4 or 5 light coats of lacquer, leave for a week to set, flat back with 1500, 2000 and 3000 grit, then polish with a cutting pad, then work your way down the polishes. Seal the paint, wax it and fit it.

soon to be 182 ;)
3 or 4 coats of primer, leave over night to dry, flat back with 800 grit. Then clean with soapy water!
2 or 3 coats of colour (or just until you've achieved the right colour), leave over night to dry, flat back with 800 grit. Clean again.
4 or 5 light coats of lacquer, leave for a week to set, flat back with 1500, 2000 and 3000 grit, then polish with a cutting pad, then work your way down the polishes. Seal the paint, wax it and fit it.

cheers m8, take it you would use that technique on any panels you are doing?? and do you recon i should wait till better weather?

I hope you gave it another coat of colour after that, or you lacquered onto a dull finish.

I wet flat the primer. I only wet flat gloss if I've cocked up, and then I give it another coat.

Wet flat the lacquer with the super fine grits once it's had a couple of weeks to settle by all means.

I hope you gave it another coat of colour after that, or you lacquered onto a dull finish.

No?
Surely it doesn't matter, as you're not trying to achieve a finish with the colour layer - you're just trying to get the correct colour. The finish is in the lacquer...
Well, mine turned out fine anyway!

MK2 Clio
But I get a semi when I look at what you have done to your wheel arches! aswell as other bits - why destroy it? its like the mona lisa :(

LOL.
The arches didn't work out in the end, I got mad and sold them. It's been a downward spiral since! LOL
Proper shed atm :(
Needs:
Front bumper respray
Water pump
Cambelt
Tyres
A good clean!

Tunst, duly noted!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
LOL.
The arches didn't work out in the end, I got mad and sold them. It's been a downward spiral since! LOL
Proper shed atm :(
Needs:
Front bumper respray
Water pump
Cambelt
Tyres
A good clean!

Tunst, duly noted!

Sounds like mine!

Will be after xmas before i have the cash though, stupid xmas :(

No?
Surely it doesn't matter, as you're not trying to achieve a finish with the colour layer - you're just trying to get the correct colour. The finish is in the lacquer...
Well, mine turned out fine anyway!

But the sanding dulls the colour unless you barely rub it over the paint, especially 800 grit.

You can see from the picture I posted on the first page, that's not the case! It's identical in colour and finish to the Body paint.

Sanding the colour layer will dull the finish, but the colour stays the same.
You rectify the dull finish by adding lacquer.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
After i applied my initial coats of primer i then sanded down with 2500 just to smooth again, then cleaned & proceeded like this. Didn't bother sanding in between apps of the colour, just after the final coat. Got it as smooth as possible, I then polished it back up via rotary, cleaned thuroughly & applied plenty of light coats of laquer after. I then again sanded down with 2500 & 3000 & polished back up :) Well, it worked for all my bits!