ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Think this will be a write off?

Abarth 595

Got rear ended by an arctic lorry last week and tomorrow the garage will be picking it up to have a look. its an '05 on 68k. Not a great photo I know but it shows most of the damage. If it does get written off I think I may come back to a clio, hence being on here. a LY 182 would be preference I think.

Abarth 595
Hit by an arctic and only that damage? Fair play ST.

Do the axles look bent or the boot floor?

Yeah it seems my lower back took most of the damage. Also helped he was going fairly slow and had an empty trailer. Boot floor is slighty bent and the boot won't open either. Turning right also sounds horrific.

Abarth 595
Yep it was written off. Not happy with their offered price though so they are going to come back to me with a new price. How does it go if i keep rejecting their valuations?

Listerine & Poledo
Yep it was written off. Not happy with their offered price though so they are going to come back to me with a new price. How does it go if i keep rejecting their valuations?
@gally ?

Ultimately, they'll pay you the bottom end of book price. Unles you've got an agreed value in place that is......which I guess you haven't.

Please bear in mind that CS-prices and personal-prices in no way reflect the actual market value of a vehicle either

Abarth 595
Thought that would be the case. I'm going off prices from auto trader for similar mileage and condition. The valuation given to me would leave me a grand out of pocket to replace like for like and considering the collision was not my fault its a bit hard to swallow...

Listerine & Poledo
Thought that would be the case. I'm going off prices from auto trader for similar mileage and condition. The valuation given to me would leave me a grand out of pocket to replace like for like and considering the collision was not my fault its a bit hard to swallow...
Yep, sounds about right. Again, Autotrader prices are retail, with mark-up. You'll need trade prices. May be worth tapping up any dealers on here who may be able to keep an ye out for a juicy part ex or similar for you.

I'm hoping they're not going to stiff you for an excess either!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
How much did they offer?
My 2 crashes they both offered more than they paid for the car originally lol.

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, sounds about right. Again, Autotrader prices are retail, with mark-up. You'll need trade prices. May be worth tapping up any dealers on here who may be able to keep an ye out for a juicy part ex or similar for you.

Why should it be trade value?

He should be able to replace his vehicle with a likewise model, in similar condition and miles.

Abarth 595
He offered me £2500. Taking off about £500 for a few car park dings. Lowest on AT within 70 miles of me below 70k miles is £3000 and I think giving a 70mile radius is being generous tbh.

Abarth 595

I'm not trading my car in though, I shouldn't be losing out on anything. But to replace like for like is going to cost me money.

mk1 Octavia VRS
Who has valued it - your insurance company or theirs?

You can only go to the ombudsman if you are claiming through your insurance, so bear that in mind.

Get valuations from different price guides. Adverts don't hold much weight as often FSH on an advert is not actually FSH and "good condition" is subjective. The Glass' price guide doesn't require FSH for cars over 6 years old so if yours has FSH then that's a good argument to use.
A £500 deduction sounds excessive for a few car park dings on a 10 year old car. When my car was written off last year a £50 deduction was made for "scuffs to the front bumper" which I then proved was incorrect/unreasonable with photos and the rest of the car was also in above average condition for the age/mileage.

Where is the car now?

Hope you manage to get a fair valuation on it and can then replace it with a nice 182!

Listerine & Poledo
I'm not trading my car in though, I shouldn't be losing out on anything. But to replace like for like is going to cost me money.
Maybe I was confusing in my post
The price that they'll offer will be based off of trade prices, the ones that include no warranty or returns.

Also, as much as you "shouldn't" be losing out, guess what, you're not insured by the Samaritans.

Sorry bud, it's not a fun situation to be in

SQ5
I had the with my R32 which I paid £12k for 5 weeks before, I got £10500 and they would not budge. Ridiculous.

Abarth 595
Who has valued it - your insurance company or theirs?

You can only go to the ombudsman if you are claiming through your insurance, so bear that in mind.

Get valuations from different price guides. Adverts don't hold much weight as often FSH on an advert is not actually FSH and "good condition" is subjective. The Glass' price guide doesn't require FSH for cars over 6 years old so if yours has FSH then that's a good argument to use.
A £500 deduction sounds excessive for a few car park dings on a 10 year old car. When my car was written off last year a £50 deduction was made for "scuffs to the front bumper" which I then proved was incorrect/unreasonable with photos and the rest of the car was also in above average condition for the age/mileage.

Where is the car now?

Hope you manage to get a fair valuation on it and can then replace it with a nice 182!

It's through the other parties insurance but it's my insurance who have valued the car so I'm not really sure how that works. The car is at the repairers garage as far as I know. They collected it last Tuesday and only today is the first I've heard anything. The engineer is getting back to me tomorrow.

Abarth 595
Maybe I was confusing in my post
The price that they'll offer will be based off of trade prices, the ones that include no warranty or returns.

Also, as much as you "shouldn't" be losing out, guess what, you're not insured by the Samaritans.

Sorry bud, it's not a fun situation to be in

Yeah I get what your saying mate, I wouldn't be so annoyed if the crash was my fault but it's just a bit of a piss take. Life's not fair etc.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
When I had this issue, I printed off adverts of near identical cars and sent them to the insurance with a letter saying £xxxx is what I'll need to replace my car.
They paid out. They actually paid more than I'd hoped for too.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Apologies for missing this. If you can prove a like for like car is 3k then they don't have a leg to stand on irrelevant of valuation.

I had a work colleague tell the insurance he didn't buy cars from the stolen car guide and would be buying from a garage, if the valuation wasn't good enough he'd seem them in court. He wasn't lying to be fair.

Simply justify your argument by printing off adverts and tell them that you will have no choice but to contact the financial ombudsman if this poor service continues (they get fined each time this happens).

330i. E30 Touring.
If someone ever crashes into me and I claim, I'll have @gally act on my behalf.

As long as he can learn English in time. Xxx

Abarth 595
Apologies for missing this. If you can prove a like for like car is 3k then they don't have a leg to stand on irrelevant of valuation.

I had a work colleague tell the insurance he didn't buy cars from the stolen car guide and would be buying from a garage, if the valuation wasn't good enough he'd seem them in court. He wasn't lying to be fair.

Simply justify your argument by printing off adverts and tell them that you will have no choice but to contact the financial ombudsman if this poor service continues (they get fined each time this happens).

Well I told the engineer I got prices of 3k+ on AT and he said he will have a look tonight. I'm assuming like for like doesn't extend to colour as well? As the cheapest in red is 4k.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Why not colour? It's like for like, if you had wanted a blue one you would have bought a blue one!

Red, same miles and condition, easy.

They have to give you the amount it would cost to replace the car, don't settle for any less, my lupo was written off 2 months ago and they offered me £300, I said to him I don't know where he is looking but I can't replace that car for anything less than £750 a few hours later and I was offered £750.

Don't let these w*****s get away with giving you less than you would need to replace like for like.

Abarth 595
Well the cheapest red one below 70k is £3300 and its 139 miles away from me so I will give them that price and also add that for me to travel 139 miles each way would cost another £100 at least.

Abarth 595
Cut a long story short, agreed on £2890 which I'm still a bit annoyed with but i just cba to drag it on and its still £400 more than their original valuation.