ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Think I need a better camera, help!

Although I love my FZ20 dearly and could never part with it, I'm getting to that point where I'm finding my ideas and potential compositions seriously limited by my equipment. I know a photographer should never blame his tools, but I think I have grounds to argue that point!

Nailed the panning side of things pretty consistently now, getting maybe 100 shots a day that are pretty much spot on (good tip I've discovered, the faster it moves - the easier it is to capture!), which if I'm honest is getting a little boring...

77665770-L.jpg

77665772-L.jpg

77665767-L.jpg

So I went for a walk to get some different angles which I'm liking and will certainly work on...

77486240-L.jpg

77486247-L.jpg

Then came the head on stuff and other general zoomed shots, not happy with these and can't really find a way of getting major improvement out of my camera. They just aren't "clean" enough if you know what I mean, the marshall's faces are the most obvious, hardly any clarity there.

77665762-L.jpg

77486222-L.jpg

77665773-L.jpg

So, what is there available that is going to give me reasonable zoom, nice clear pics at full zoom and that isn't going to cost me silly money? I'm keeping the FZ20 as it's so versatile and quick, but I want something that will really allow me to get creative with the non-panning shots etc. Although I loathe to get to that situation where I have a D-SLR and loads of lenses, then find myself messing around with equipment all the time, I think I may gradually have to go that way.

Cupra
Fair play, the photos that you take stunning! Someone with a D-SLR would be proud to claim them!

The Nikon D50 can be had for a very good price these days so a SLR does not need to break the bank. The lenses can be an issue but they are not bulky or too expensive.

That said, I just took the plunge and bought a 350D and and now in the "lens trap" and fighting the craving to go an buy some new ones!

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Chris, indeed they are of SLR quality but in all honesty, I think the only way you will get better now is the progression to a D-SLR. A normal SLR isn't really worth it when you take into account the cost of development even if the body is cheap.

Remember you can always buy the body first and then pick and choose your lens, like I did with the recent purchase of my 350D.

Have you handled the Nikon, Canon or Pentax? I found I prefered the feel of the Canon over the Nikon but you will get varied opinions. For me its always been Canon.

You can pick up used 300D's now, and with the newly launched 30D the replaced 20D is now a good used bargain.

I'm running a Canon EOS 350D with a 70-200 F/2.8 L lens which I fine is superb for motorsport work. Roll on Friday for DTM.

I owned a 350D for a while, couldn't find any lens at reasonably sensible prices that was actually an improvement over what I was achieving with the FZ20. Sure some pics were obviously more detailed etc, but overall my pictures lost their spontaneity as I wasn't able to just get a shot instantly (in all situations, not just motorsport), so I sold it.

But now after improving quite a bit lately (imo of course!) and the frustration with not being able to get some shots with my FZ...and then seeing these below I felt I should at least investigate.

http://www.racecar.net/castlecombeforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=954

Blown away by them, so detailed. I think I'm fighting a lost cause though, I'm not going to get that without spending £1000+ am I?

A red missile
mmmmmm L series lenses Glaraaaaghhhhhh, my only problem now is after having bought one i want to replace the lot, then of course i want a camera with a full frame sensor....... its never ending.

106 GTi
I have always been really impressed by you camera, did you not say there was a newer version of it? Af few times I have wished I had gone for something a like rather than my 350D, for the reasons you list lots of gear to mess about with.

Combined with the fact that costs are mounting up for me. The kit lens with mine was dire, so more money getting something better than that. Purchased a 70-300mm Sigma Lens, which focuses to slowly and is soft at anything over 200mm so made it useless for the Track stuff I wanted to do with it. Love my 70-200 4L Canon but it is too short everywhere I have been apart from pans, so more money for a 1.4 Extender. Even now it is still that bit shorter than I would like so have a 300mm 4L IS Prime on it way at the end of the month when I get payed. I know the L glass will last me a lifetime but I never thought I would end up going down this route. Means I have loads of gear to lug around now and worry about messing about with lens changes etc.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
To be fair mate - nope. Quality comes at a price. You can only go so far with a compact before the upgrade comes in 4 figures and then when you master that - you get sensational pics.

What were the pics you linked to taken with? lens and camera please bud.

63/500...My point exactly! Really don't want to get into that situation, simply can't afford it anyway.

Maybe the upgraded FZ20 is the answer (FZ30), more manual control etc. Not really going to help with detail but I don't think I'm going to get too far with a D-SLR on my budget.

Not sure what they were shot with in the linked pics, will find out though.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Chris - why not pick up a 300/350D and use it for close work whilst saving for a good lens? Keep the FZ20 for now.

DarthCake said:
Chris - why not pick up a 300/350D and use it for close work whilst saving for a good lens? Keep the FZ20 for now.

That's probably the most viable option. Would be keeping the FZ20 regardless as it's small enough to take everywhere all the time (as I do!)

What lens should I be looking at? Willing to sacrifice distance if it means I can get really nice close work.

And Rich, 300mm 4L?! I've done enough research to know that's firmly in what I would call "silly money"! Fair play though, as you say it's a lens for life (as long as you can afford it initially!)

Last edited:
  Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
I think I'd go for the 70-200 F4... or better still, get you, me and Rich to a central event and have a go with both.

A lens is, in some circumstances, only as good as the operator. I've taken some asolute tripe with my 350D and some stunners. Looks like you're more than competent so I suggest you either hire, or borrow one and see how you get on.

Do you just do motorsport mate? And whats local to you? I.e. where do you normally go? Castle Combe?

106 GTi
Si's recomendations of the Canon 70-200 4L is really good, but as walk around lens is to long IMO. I tried to shoot some whole cars in the paddock at combe on Classic day and it's impossible! Will be superb for doing close up's though.

http://www.richtreen.co.uk/images/70_200_test/index.html

Day I got it , 30 min mess about ^^^^^^

Most stunning bit of glass I have ever used, Si's 2.8 Version must be the Dogs.

DarthCake said:
I think I'd go for the 70-200 F4... or better still, get you, me and Rich to a central event and have a go with both.

A lens is, in some circumstances, only as good as the operator. I've taken some asolute tripe with my 350D and some stunners. Looks like you're more than competent so I suggest you either hire, or borrow one and see how you get on.

Do you just do motorsport mate? And whats local to you? I.e. where do you normally go? Castle Combe?

I do whatever, just love taking pics so I just shoot wherever I am, I happen to love motorsport as well hence so many motorsport pics!

Mess around with macro quite often but have never really put any proper effort into it, surprised at how well the camera coped out in the garden though, that's where all the pics are from. The rest is just made up of wherever I happen to be, places like Bournemouth being the usual.

Hiring sounds like an interesting idea, a few places around here that do that iirc so may be worth looking into. I'm in Westbury, Wiltshire, about 20 miles from Castle Combe.

Clio 197
Yup... DSLR is the way forward: you can choose the lenses you want, which can make all the difference.

PS See for sale section. ;)

I was thinking about why I struggled with the 350D this morning and it all came back to me. I don't really think about it now as I have a workaround but I (and I'm being serious here...!) can't actually close one eye independently of the other. This obviously made it very difficult to focus through the viewfinder. All my shots such as above are actually taken by just holding the camera out in front of me and glancing at the LCD screen (and I've had some funny looks doing this at CC!), although I've learned exactly where to hold it in most situations so I tend to just watch the action 'live' and just move the camera without thinking about it.

I'm guessing an eye patch would be needed, classy! You should see me firing a gun or attempting a bit of archery, it's hilarious!

Silver 172 PhII
ukaskew said:
I was thinking about why I struggled with the 350D this morning and it all came back to me. I don't really think about it now as I have a workaround but I (and I'm being serious here...!) can't actually close one eye independently of the other.

I quite often shoot with my 'other' eye open to see whats going on around me. Especially important at football to make sure you move out of the way of the ball or even more importantly a player! (at Stockport I almost got taken out by two players sliding off the pitch AND I got hit by a clearance from Watford'd left back. It bloody hurt!) It's difficult at first but can be done.

Someone mentioned hiring. I've done this a lot and can recommend two places. First is Fixation which is based in London:

http://www.fixationuk.com - they are used by a lot of press photographers in London. they don't have a shop as such but an office. The woman in charge of the rental desk has permanent PMT but they are generally helpful.

the other is Calumet who have branches all over the place:

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/ - again, very professional. They have huge range and have proper shops. They have a rental guide online:

http://webres.calumetphoto.com/webres/pdfs/ukrentalguide.pdf

It's well worth renting. I've rented big lenses (Canon 300/400mm f2.8 L IS), flashes (Canon + quantum batteries) and even bodeis from them over the years. If you're off for a weekends shoot, you can pick it up on friday afternoon, return Monday morning and you only pay for one day (or a weekend rate which is really cheap). The 300mm was about £3k new but I rented it for a weekend for about 30 quid from Fixation! I have my own lenses, but if I ever need anything out of the ordinary I rent it. For Goodwood in September I'm tempted to rent a 1D MkII as I've had it with the 10D's autofocus (it's crap)

A red missile
If you cant live without a live view on a screen rather than using a viewfinder, Olympus now do the E-330, its the first i've certainly seen with live view, or alternatively if you go canon theres the zigview which bolts onto the back of your camera and displays the contents of your viewfinder on a screen.

Both can be found at www.warehouseexpress.co.uk

Thanks for the advice all. Some interesting things to think about.

Got published for the first time today (sort of!), well chuffed even though it's small etc.

This pic http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/photos/77486235-L.jpg

Is now here http://www.driversknow.co.uk/motorsport/trackside/diaries/ (select the first one from the dropdown list, S.Shaw, Castle Combe)

His sponsor is also including it in a press release where I will be credited, so proud! It's not even technically that good, just a fairly nice composition.

106 GTi
Nice one Chris.

Always good to see a picture being used. Managed to get one of mine on the cover of the Peugeot Sport club Magazine the other month.

Chris your macro shots put my 350D kit lense to shame!

And Rich you got the two lenses I want! 70-200mm L and 28-105mm

Imagine your 28-105 is the MK2 USM at that price? Good to see some sample images...

BluePete said:

As I'm sure you know getting a good Macro shot is just about spending hours waiting, moving around and trying your best not to move to much (or hoping that whatever bug it is doesn't move too much!), the only reason I have 30 or so good shots is because I have another 500 that were awful.

I'm going to fill an old fish tank over the Summer with a big chunk of the garden and lots of bugs, maybe bring it indoors and light it properly. Should get some really good stuff then.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
I think the kit 350D lens is very poor, you can't get better than a dedicated lens for each discipline, just depends whether you mind carrying them all.

106 GTi
BluePete said:

And Rich you got the two lenses I want! 70-200mm L and 28-105mm

Imagine your 28-105 is the MK2 USM at that price? Good to see some sample images...

My kit lens zoom ring makes a grinding noise and it is full of dust. Real peice of shite hence the 28-105.

Yeah the EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM, rated as one of the best consumers zooms Canon do, has a metal body and feels worlds apart from the plastic tacky kit one. Shame it losses out on the wide end. After the 300mm 4/L I am going to get the 17-40 L and call it a day for lenses.

The is EF28-105mm f3.5-4.5 USM II is £184 here, but worth getting the hood to.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/index.cfm?photo/lenses/canonlens.html

Avoid the other to cheaper 28-105's as they are as bad as the kit lens.