ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

These pistons look pretty much done for , or ??

RS RIP
couple of hit valves, bent but not broken. How do these pistons look ? :( Want to know if these will still do the job ? One of the pics has a damaged cilinderwall...

My C&B cams look f**ked too, valve took out a rocker arm (correct?) on its destructive way up and this must have damaged the cam... pretty expensive job it's going to be is my guess

So i'm looking at a head -refurb , do'nt have the funds for anything more i think. Ofcourse i'll be needing new cams too, if pistons are okay i'll be throwing in some Schricks. C&B do'nt make my profile anymore.

f**ked or ?

IMAG0233-1.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

IMAG0229.jpg

Last edited:
  172cup
I'm no expert but I would say yes f**ked and the block looks a bit damaged too might have to be skimmed

RS RIP
^^ go on , this is music to my ears ! Seriously, are you speaking out of experience ? It seems like the bottom part of the engine is fine , other than the marks. Am really scared about putting things together (total head refurb) and finding out later (too late) that a spot like this on a piston could be a "weak spot" or something of the like

Not to bad. If you want a set of pistons though Iv got some at work going dirt cheap :) unfortunately Iv just sold a stripped cleaned head that I was going to use for porting. TBH if it was me I'd re use them and just skim the head 10 thou. Or just use a stone and dress the damage and go again.

the damage looks minimal on the pistons, as long as the bores underneath are ok i would re use them

although may run the risk of being a crack you cant see with the eye in the pistons

may also be cheaper to buy a good second hand head, than refurb yours but that depends on how much damage

RS RIP
Thanks guys for the replies. Yeah i knew i was going to need to fork out some $$$ for the head, but the cams and pistons were a bit of a surprise to me.

So i was already going for a complete (head)refurbishment , all valves, guides etc. , but know i see that also my 1000euro cams have been waisted ! The pistons on top of this all is just too much for me atm . Jobless, so i've sold my boat , sold my turntables, sold my boat engine aaaaaargghh just to keep my Cup alive !

I really hope i'll manage without the pistons because yeah ehhhh... no dough for the lot

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I'd not have an issue with most of that. Seen a lot worse. The small dink in the top of the bore should be ok if you make sure it's de-burred, and it's above the top ring sweep

^^^ this. Buy a second hand head all ready to go valve stem seals, springs, rockers cams etc and then strip and rebuild yours.

Or buy a complete engine and put it in. Then you have a spare bottom end and time to rebuild the head.

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
how bad/deep are the marks on the cams? i've just polished off light marks before without issue, luckily the valve train being on roller rockers you can get away with slight damage, as long as the cam is smooth it "should" be ok

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
wow what happened ? 9aside from valves hitting pistons)

and who are you going to use for the rebuild (for future reference)
I'm in holland so would like to know good adresses.....to many cowboys around

RS RIP
Ouch, thats bad news. What caused the valves to hit?

My ex-colleague , dishonest piece of ....

how bad/deep are the marks on the cams? i've just polished off light marks before without issue, luckily the valve train being on roller rockers you can get away with slight damage, as long as the cam is smooth it "should" be ok

Hey Fred, was about to ask you some questions on Schricks! The cams are dented or yeah some pretty serious markings on 'em. Because one of those roller rockers busted up and budged itself in there, literally broke a piece off the rocker ! :eek: The rest of the rockers all feel "rough" (on the rolling part) so nothing's re-usable..

wow what happened ? 9aside from valves hitting pistons)

and who are you going to use for the rebuild (for future reference)
I'm in holland so would like to know good adresses.....to many cowboys around

My car is at Mobiron in Zuid Beijerland, comes highly recommended by Henk.

RS RIP
We have decided on taking off the sump to be able to have a look at the pistons and their rings + bearings.. when these are okay i will decide to go on and fix her up. If not , i'm pulling the plug as this car has cost me way too much already.

@ Fred, if you read this; when i fit it up i'll be wanting the Schrick cams in there. Were they the 280-288 degree cams ? These are almost like the C&B profile (280-286) so i hope the map already in there will work ou till Henk gets back to Holland some time... cheers