ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Joes Iceberg 172

Last month I decided to sell my Gti-6 to a friend who wants to take it rallying. I wanted something similar, little bit newer but cheap to throw bits at it and go have some at track days.

I decided on a clean iceberg 172 that was local, standard 03 plate, 88k £1500. The plans are sort a couple of problems, suspension, brakes and finally big engine rebuild. After a couple busy months moving and then starting a new job the work began this week.

ill upload photos when I'm on the computer instead of my iPad. In the post this week :- cooksport springs, pure motorsport top mounts and strut, rear pads, fabia splitter, reverse light switch, service kit, 25mm front spacers and 15mm 1 degree rear spacers from Dan at M.A.D, inlet manifold ready for port matching.

This evening I put it on the dyno to see what standard bhp it was running. At surry rolling road it gave 162.5bhp 149ft/lb. At the wheels was 134.3 and 123ft/lb. I was fairly happy with the result and the curve is very good.

Will update and upload some pics. Looking forward to enjoying some track days and having some fun.

Joe

Ok fairly busy weekend completed carrying out a few jobs on the 172.

Here is a photo of the car last week at surrey rolling road.

210.jpg

And the dyno print out

213.jpg

After driving down to Cornwall on the Friday I had a few things I hoped to achieve:-

Oil Service,
Pure Motorsport solid mounts and strut brace,
Cooksport springs,
25mm Front spacers,
15mm rear spacers 1 degree camber,
Rear pads,
Freshen up front end plastics,
Clean headlights,
Remove acoustic valve,
Remove seat anti vibration washers,
Fit stereo
Clean.

Easy. So drove down to Cornwall only to find no room in the garage :(

time to utilise the barn and carry out the work there! :)

232.jpg

Rear Springs were shot

268.jpg

As well as top mounts and also the front dampers are a bit ropey. 0n the shopping list

Generally fitment of the top mounts and springs were pretty straight forward apart from a tight damper to hub bolt. 1/2" breaker bar sorted that :)

I then tackled the front end.

238.jpg

With the bumper off it gave easy access to removing acoustic valve. Fitting fabia splitter, cleaning lights and finding the cause of an operative headlight washer.

254.jpg

Headlights cleaned up but still scratches are visible. I went 600 grit then 1200 and finally 2500 before using mequires kit. Only spent 30mins each light so may need doing again.

Plastic trims removed ready for spraying.

239.jpg

Much better :)

256.jpg

A real improvement

259.jpg

Went to the interior and removed seat washers and fitted stereo

266.jpg

then gave it a clean and took some pics. Was very happy with the appearance apart from the rear badge in satin black. Ill either keep it and remove the clio and rs badges or revert to standard.

272.jpg

275.jpg

276.jpg

277.jpg

278.jpg

279.jpg

282.jpg

291.jpg

273.png

For anyone who is unsure of solid top mounts all I can say is do it. You wont regret it. Turn in is so precise and there is so much more feel it really is up there along with Rear ARB which I will be fitting next month! :)

Orginally I had opted for Eibach sportlines but then decided to go with Cooksport springs. I am very happy with the looks on car, price and service regarding delivery. From standard set up to solid top mount, front strut brace, springs 25mm front spacers and 15mm rear with -1 degree camber the car has become a different beast. It is a very firm ride. Almost like its on bumpstops but Id imagine on the track they will come into there own. The extra width regarding spacers has given benifits with looks, turn in and general confidence with handling. It has become slightly road camber sensitive and can sometimes 'wander' with road conditions. Im really looking forward to how it feels with rear ARB and new dampers on the track.

The next plan is complete suspension. Brake set up and then focus on engine.

I have a set of manifolds to get port matched. Bought online. Pretty minging.

From RenPart:-

194.jpg

After I had them for an hour

204.jpg

205.jpg

Little bit better. They have now been sent for matching.

Engine wise Im thinking ARP bolts, matched inlets, decat and exhaust, filter and then RS Tuner map to increase RPM to 7800. Then rolling road to see gains.

Then full rebuild with flowed head and cams. Then probably ITBs because I want 200bhp.

Current Problems!

Any advise appreciated.

No reverse lights. Changed switch at weekend. Still inop.

SERV and ESP light on followed by ABS light couple days later after clearing code.
Code is steering angle sensor. Im hoping that its to do with the fact the tracking is out and the steering wheel is off centre. Was like it went I bought it. I hoping tracking and fault code clear will help.

Joe