ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

These days, 3 grand buys an e90 330i ...

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Can you find me a car please?! I am really struggling to find anything. I'll give you some money and you can just drop it off ?
Haha, that's exactly what my friend did! I viewed it, he paid, i left it on my drive & his dad collected the next day ?

These two manuals have sold on ebay in the last few weeks:
£3.5k: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-330i-e91-Manual-very-rear-estate-/263629584175
£3.8k: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330i-msport-touring-manual-gearbox-/253506808838

What i would say is that if a good spec car turns up at the right price, you have to just buy it, hence why i quite often end up with two cars at once ?

These look a great buy, just the miles puts me off/old skool :(

The miles are completely irrelevant on the 6 cylinder petrol e36>e90 era BMW's tbh, barring certain ancillaries, the running gear is pretty strong. There are some on the US forums with quite literally, hundreds of thousands of miles!! On the flipside, i had a Trophy with 187k miles on it, so i like to live dangerously ?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Haha, that's exactly what my friend did! I viewed it, he paid, i left it on my drive & his dad collected the next day ?

These two manuals have sold on ebay in the last few weeks:
£3.5k: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-330i-e91-Manual-very-rear-estate-/263629584175
£3.8k: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330i-msport-touring-manual-gearbox-/253506808838

What i would say is that if a good spec car turns up at the right price, you have to just buy it, hence why i quite often end up with two cars at once ?

I saw the first one, but the miles are a bit strong for me. I do about 18-20k a year so would prefer something a bit lower. Second one doesn't look bad though. I was going to spend £6/7k but I just don't think I can be bothered now, so something like this is a bit more appealing. If you happen to see anything else, would appreciate it if you sent it my way. Would prefer an estate, but would consider a saloon in a nice spec.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If you buy a 4 cylinder BMW, I'll issue points

Surely not? ;)

1525174410446.png

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Last night, i completed the last stage of the de-Birmingham.
From

Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
To

Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
Ah, thats better

I had no idea that the top bits of the grille actually crept into the bonnet area?

Not a fan of either tbh - it looks like rust has eaten into the leading edge and some dodgy Polyfilloh job has been attempted. Both options are clearly out of your control, though. Similar in appearance to those cars with chrome trims over the wheel arches.

Totally applaud your anti-chav/M-Fake crap removal from there. It's the bane of many a car these days..... "Look at me, look at ME! I have an AMG! No you haven't - you have an A180d with some badges on."

Cracking buy for £3k too - well done, sir! ?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So, little update on the old 330i as i've been tinkering with it a little now ...

First things first, bluetooth. Anker Soundsync. £11.99
43127023982_ca9f8d0289_c.jpg

Untitled by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
41366255930_f2ecc82c44_c.jpg

Streams music brilliantly, although for Waze/Phonecalls/Streaming, it needs to be on Aux on the Stereo. A minor annoyance, but for the money, who cares!

Secondly. Filters. They werent bad, but they werent good either. When GSF have -60% off and its £25.20 for both though ?
43127023312_4d05709b11_c.jpg

43127025442_047f291f89_c.jpg

Thirdly. Spark plugs. Spent out on these, £31.68 to be precise.
Easy enough to strip it down, seems that every BMW since time began has been put together in the same way trim wise.
43176785461_d96a2a3a83_c.jpg

42458749704_ebbc2cdefb_c.jpg

43176789251_6eebfdcfa9_c.jpg

42458751504_b63e748e50_c.jpg

42458753484_a49c729ce6_c.jpg

Does it drive noticeably better? Not really, but its definitely a little smoother, certainly worth 58 quid. I think there is a slight rattle from the large DISA, along with a tiny bit of hesitation, so that will be my next job i imagine. I sold the brakes BTW, having only done about 1k miles since i bought it, i decided that they werent really needed on the 30mph trip down to Waitrose ?

Future plans, well we all need them dont we!!

At some point, i'd love to do a LCI front/rear conversion, i just think it makes the car look that little bit more modern ?

Last edited:

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Looking well Dave. I did the DISA on my old 330i, took about half an hour and I felt the car ran better afterwards.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
@TomSx you either cost me £13.98 with that post, or saved me £250, i cant decide ?
So with the above in mind, i bought these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-Se...13.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xpre+cut+e90+facelift.TRS0

Before:
42727809184_9cdab05f4c_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

During;
42727809044_e9a9318d89_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
42727808964_af72a1c642_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

After:
43395889642_90371f5b2f_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Much better even if i do say so myself!! ?
They haven't stuck so well around one of the edges, so i may have to do some slight trimming/re-sticking, but not bad for a first attempt at "tinting" lol.

My second modification of the week is something that i've traditionally hated. Spaysorz innit. But why do i hate them? Because they make cars look aftermarket. But what if i told you that as standard, from the factory, BMW made the LCI e90 rear track 12mm wider each side via the use of a wider hub - meaning that the rear wheels fit the arches that little bit more nicely. So i could legitimately fit spacers, to give an OEM look ...

So, a few more before/afters:
41636325830_67c979ed84_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
41636325530_27ec292222_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

43395881472_b6b4841f52_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
41636326420_8d8058d7ff_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

29573139708_111ee8cdbb_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
29573139878_fc2683747d_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Very pleased. Without knowing what to look for, you wouldn't even know they've been fitted ?

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Those rear lights look cheap bud, I'm sorry. Spacers wise 15mm rear and 12mm front is perfect, believe me.

Top work! Looks so much better doesn't it. I've got 15mm spacers on the rear of mine. You'd never know to be honest and just looks how it should from the factory. As you say, LCI's have a wider track anyway.

Is yours affected by the recalls? Mine is going in tomorrow.

Spacers look miles better, but I'm not sure on the rear lights. It now looks like a Jetta/Passat

The lights look a little odd in pictures at first but it's night and day difference in the metal. It makes them look much newer and again just like the facelift.

Standard facelift -

s-l1600.jpg

So, little update on the old 330i as i've been tinkering with it a little now ...

First things first, bluetooth. Anker Soundsync. £11.99
View attachment 1373354
View attachment 1373355

Streams music brilliantly, although for Waze/Phonecalls/Streaming, it needs to be on Aux on the Stereo. A minor annoyance, but for the money, who cares!

Dave, how does this work? By the look of your install, you're only using USB for power? And the soundsync then sends the music to the headunit via the aux in?

Dave, how does this work? By the look of your install, you're only using USB for power? And the soundsync then sends the music to the headunit via the aux in?

I’ve got one in mine. It’s made by MPOW and tiny. Only cost about £7. Plugs in to the aux and charged via usb so you use cigarette lighter socket. Can play music via Bluetooth and works as hands free too.

BMW Z4
I’ve got one in mine. It’s made by MPOW and tiny. Only cost about £7. Plugs in to the aux and charged via usb so you use cigarette lighter socket. Can play music via Bluetooth and works as hands free too.

Have you got a link mate, could with one for mine?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Looking good.
As an aside I think I saw you on the M25 Saturday just gone, heading onto the M3!

Thanks!
Yep, that was me, off to see my mate in Church Crookham! Do you live around here somewhere then?

Those rear lights look cheap bud, I'm sorry. Spacers wise 15mm rear and 12mm front is perfect, believe me.

That's because they are cheap ? You have to remember that i've been unemployed since May (through choice), with probably no income likely until November/ December, so mods have to be a little bit more budget friendly than previously ... spacers wise, i think ill leave it as it is, i literally only want it to look like an LCI 330i, just with the more reliable N52 engine instead of the N53 ?

Exactly that, get power via USB from the cigarette lighter, then music goes into the head unit via the Aux port. Seems to work very well, you just have to remember that you only get sound if the headunit is set to "Aux" - i have forgotten a couple of times & wondered why i couldn't talk to people on the phone ?

My setup -

43458417232_50b1998a3b_c.jpg

All hidden in the arm rest if you have a E9X series BMW.

Have you got a link mate, could with one for mine?

One of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KON1JIA/?tag=cliospnet01-21

That's what I have although I paid £7.00. You can prob find it cheaper than what I've posted.

RX7 FD
Thanks!
Yep, that was me, off to see my mate in Church Crookham! Do you live around here somewhere then?

I was coming back for the day for the fiancees friends 30th birthday party. I did used to live in Basingstoke and bought one of your spare Turinis off you when you lived near QMC! I was BigDaveTrophy back when I was properly on here as a member.

Land Rover
Mileage not such an issue nowadays, even a Clio can be on 100,000 and still fine.

My Porsche 928 S4 had 118,000 and showed no sign of it at all. My Land Rover has passed 100,000 and runs better than when l bought it at 56,000

Mileage hasnt been an issue for about 20 years IMHO in terms of engine and gearbox life, however for a long while it has persisted due to things like Parkers and Which.

I cant think of anything worse than buying a car that's averaged 2000 miles a year to the shops and back, I'd far prefer a repmobile thats done 20k a year on long runs and been serviced correctly.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I was coming back for the day for the fiancees friends 30th birthday party. I did used to live in Basingstoke and bought one of your spare Turinis off you when you lived near QMC! I was BigDaveTrophy back when I was properly on here as a member.
Ah yes of course, i remember!! You worked at Eurotunnel from memory?

Bit of an update on the 330i after 6 months/4k miles or so. Day to day average (99% town usage) is now 26.9, with a couple of longer journeys to Cornwall/The North seeing a rather impressive 36.7mpg. Cant complain too much at that, the 330d would have done another 6 or so. It now needs a clean:
44947360601_e24896a41e_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

We also got back from 6 weeks away on Honeymoon and it started 1st time, shame the same couldnt be said for the TT ?

I've also bought it a little early Christmas present ... the suspension feels a little tired, albeit there isnt really anything wrong, its just a bit wallowly, but you know how it is, you peruse things anyway. Well, when Amazon lists things with 25% off for some obscure reason, its impossible to say no ?

31074714358_7b94e0c9cf_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
44898400292_8ae1962a6d_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
31074714828_149cbde988_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

?

Hopefully ill manage to get them on fairly soon, weather is still nice atm.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Great buy! I need to pick your brains about Carly.
Fire away! What you want to know?

On Gumtree the week after fitment?
Nah, the 330i is staying for as long as i still have the Boxster ?
Do normal people actually use Scumtree these days? I thought it was just for Cat D cars & other household cr4p lol.

B12's? i.e. 1/4 of the cars value? haha
Top purchase mind you.

Nah, they were only £540!!! Hence why i bought them sharpish ?

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
How did you find this so cheap Dave? I’ve been looking for similar to replace the 6 with and everything half decent is 7k odd

Sold mine for 6k but I was in a rush, took 30mins ha ha ha.