ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The worst thing about your clio

S3, Polo
I have to lol at that!

w**k driving postion?? Steering wheel infront, pedals down the bottom and a gear stick to your left, its hardly mental is it.

I swear most people just copy and paste what JC says.

^ ROFFLE!

You only have to do a search on here to find other owners clearly feel the same.

The Clio has a reputation (outside of the motoring press) for having a less-than-ideal driving position, predominantly for taller drivers (of which I am one). The main controls are also out-of-line with one another and feel more and more 'unnatural' the longer you spend behind (and to the side) of the wheel. Not to mention the lofty position of the seat? Go and sit in a Fiesta or Focus for instance and tell me, hand on heart, that the Clio feels 'right' in comparison. Maybe I'm spoilt by having 3 cars to choose from and compare with at any time?

In summary, just in case your attention span/ vocabulary can't take in the above:
The Clio has a poorly-designed driving position by any measure, which means that it is, in fact, w*nk. Take it or leave it.

I'm saying that from *experience* BTW.

Last edited:
  Clio v6
The worst thing about my car is that it needs more time and energy to care for it than I have available. I drive two other different cars regularly and don't notice any difference in the driving position.

I had a demo in a Kia the other week, the salesman was a very happy chap, with three left legs and four arms. He managed to drive the thing without any problems. ;)

^ ROFFLE!

You only have to do a search on here to find other owners clearly feel the same.

The Clio has a reputation (outside of the motoring press) for having a less-than-ideal driving position, predominantly for taller drivers (of which I am one). The main controls are also out-of-line with one another and feel more and more 'unnatural' the longer you spend behind (and to the side) of the wheel. Not to mention the lofty position of the seat? Go and sit in a Fiesta or Focus for instance and tell me, hand on heart, that the Clio feels 'right' in comparison. Maybe I'm spoilt by having 3 cars to choose from and compare with at any time?

In summary, just in case your attention span/ vocabulary can't take in the above:
The Clio has a poorly-designed driving position by any measure, which means that it is, in fact, w*nk. Take it or leave it.

LOL, did somebody get of bed the wrong side?? :rolleyes:

As for my attention span and vocabulary, it's fine, but thanks for your concern.

I just don't think it's that bad, yes it may be a little high (also from someone who is quite tall) but certainly not bad enough to be the worst part of the Clio.

All from my *experience* also.

I wasn't having a go or trying to be sarcastic, just having a *discussion*, it is, after all the right section, right?

The driving position isn't too bad, I find the main difference with many other cars is the angle of the steering wheel, in the clio it isn't as vertical as many cars. Yes the seat's a bit too high but I'm sure that can be lowered, never noticed any problems with pedal or gearstick position. It's a world away from the awfulness that is a Saxo or 106.

S3, Polo
LOL, did somebody get of bed the wrong side?? :rolleyes:

As for my attention span and vocabulary, it's fine, but thanks for your concern.

I just don't think it's that bad, yes it may be a little high (also from someone who is quite tall) but certainly not bad enough to be the worst part of the Clio.

All from my *experience* also.

I wasn't having a go or trying to be sarcastic, just having a *discussion*, it is, after all the right section, right?

So, you concede that it's not perfect? IMO, it's w*nk. a 106 is w*nk too (pedals too close together and offset) *sigh* :dead:

Doesn't make them bad cars, just not the shining pinnacle some would have you believe!

Your initial post was an offensive pi$$-take of MY opinions about the car - the clue's in the title "The worst thing about YOUR clio." Pi$$-take = discussion? LAWL. :rolleyes:

Oh, and "copy and paste what JC says"? Not f*cking likely.

:)

BG Clio 182
We all love you though clio!! Had an awesome drive in mine lastnight, new coilovers and new milltek exhaust fitted! Its not all bad....*runs away*

No it's not perfect, but not the worst thing about my Clio.

Personally I find the melting steering wheel the worst issue, I find it rather poor that Renault can't make a wheel that doesn't fall apart after 3 years. My dad had a series 2A Landrover with a better steering wheel.

Titanium 182
I have to admit I do hate that the pedals and steering wheel aren't perfectly in line. You're kind of "twisted" a tiny bit when driving.

DB.

BMW 440i
Rattle in the pillar next to my right ear.

Aaannnd that annoying click with the wipers.

The quality of the interior in general. 206s are not exactly worlds apart price wise etc, yet have a much nicer interior!

BMW 330CI M SPORT
I don't know if i am just a strangely made up 6'4" lad, but I fit in the Clio fine and don't find anything wrong with the position, if anything, I think the fact that it's slightly higher than most other hatchbacks such as a Fiesta etc means that it is easier for taller people because your legs are not going as straight as usual, meaning you actually don't have the cramped feeling from being pushed right back into your seat like in other cars, I literally can't get in a new shape Fiesta!

I don't know if i am just a strangely made up 6'4" lad, but I fit in the Clio fine and don't find anything wrong with the position, if anything, I think the fact that it's slightly higher than most other hatchbacks such as a Fiesta etc means that it is easier for taller people because your legs are not going as straight as usual, meaning you actually don't have the cramped feeling from being pushed right back into your seat like in other cars, I literally can't get in a new shape Fiesta!

I find it the same pal, no probs and I'm 6'2". Nice to know I'm not the only one. :D

Aaannnd that annoying click with the wipers.

The quality of the interior in general. 206s are not exactly worlds apart price wise etc, yet have a much nicer interior!

You have to be joking!? The 206's interior is awful, really plasticy and cheap feeling, the Clio feels so much better inside. There is no bias, coming from owning a 205 since 1998 and I don't own a Clio anymore but my girlfriend owned a 1.2 16v and a 182 FF. Especially the 182, the interior is miles better. We both drove a 206CC and I've driven a couple of other 206s and the interior is truly awful IMO (along with vastly offset pedals in that too; why was the 205 spot on yet the 206, a slightly bigger car not!?). The 207 is a vast step up though, very nice inside actually!!

172 with k-tec sound
window seal has gone, sick of listening to what sounds like charlott church warbling in my earhole at speeds over 40 mph.

Titanium 182
Interior -
"off" button on CC scratched the paint off so light shines through it white on a night.
Cd control behind steering wheel has snapped clip so dangling on a wire
Steering wheel is melted
seat belts are dirty (silver)
clock lcd display in the middle of the dash is still orange when the rest of my interior lights are white or blue.
Loads of fault lights from airbag ring/steering angle sensor.

Exterior
bumper/bonnet could do with a respray (stone chips)
Wheels have a bit of burnt on brake dust

I'll sort the interior when I get paid lol need a few new parts. Just annoying looking at all the fault lights and little bits.

Peugeot 308
Shitty Melted steering wheel
All wheels scuffed (previous women driver...)
Numerous dings n scrapes
rattling ktec stealth..

120d M Sport
^ ROFFLE!

Very true. I never used to think much of it until I started doing 120 mile journeys fairly often in my Clio and came out near crippled! Then again I am 6 foot 2...

SG9 Forester STi
Thoroughly enjoying mine atm! However things I don't like are...

Rattles
Melted steering wheel
Dent from my dad opening his campervan door on it
Don't like the way I'm always listening out for new noises and over analysing them.
But the worst one which drives me insane is the exhaust rattling on the bumper because it's really loud inside the car.

Looking for 182

Rattles
Melted steering wheel
Don't like the way I'm always listening out for new noises and over analysing them.
But the worst one which drives me insane is the exhaust rattling on the bumper because it's really loud inside the car.

Very similar to mine:

- Rattles
- Listening for new noises and over analysing them
- 3 or 4 slight chips on the windscreen
- Weird unexplainable noise when I put my foot down, sounds like a hole in the exhaust or something!
- Right RS thumb grip thing on the wheel is peeling away slightly

Iceberg 172
I can honestly say that I'm loving my 172 and there's not 1 thing (yet) that annoys me.

It does everything so bloody well and fits in where ever I go in it.

clio sport 172
Again as above ^ looking, listening and waiting for something to go wrong! Hate that ! Just come to terms, have fun, and only fix it when its broken! :cool:

None
Having the alarm beep three times every time i get out and lock the doors......this is a real pain if you quickly want to nip into a shop or two, you end up having to wait or set unset then set the alarm again!

LY R26
steering wheel is too big
and because of the harnesses my service light is always on, so is my airbag light!

and on longer journeys my engine management light comes on :(

Tav

Clio 197
The fact that when fitting a ball joint the drive shaft decided to come out...now on EVERY other car I've had this is not an issue...but oh no the Clio HAS to dump the entire contents of the 'box on my street.

Lots of little things nag me about the Clio, there is huge scope for improvement...should have bought an Integra Type R...proper seats, driving position, gear shift, engine mounts, top end refinement, LSD, interior build quality and the list goes on...

Saying that, it's f-ing ace on Scottish roads so I'll forgive it for almost anything.

F82 M4
The fact that when fitting a ball joint the drive shaft decided to come out...now on EVERY other car I've had this is not an issue...but oh no the Clio HAS to dump the entire contents of the 'box on my street.

Lots of little things nag me about the Clio, there is huge scope for improvement...should have bought an Integra Type R...proper seats, driving position, gear shift, engine mounts, top end refinement, LSD, interior build quality and the list goes on...

Saying that, it's f-ing ace on Scottish roads so I'll forgive it for almost anything.

I had a ball joint collapse on my old Valver and the driveshaft popped out and spat gearbox oil all over the road :eek:

Firemen had to clean up the mess. Was a good job I was only going about 3mph!

SG9 Forester STi
steering wheel is too big
and because of the harnesses my service light is always on, so is my airbag light!

and on longer journeys my engine management light comes on :(

Lol I know the feeling! Mines a christmas tree with..

Service and airbag lights because of the harnesses
Emissions light for the decat
Power steering light as well because of a little change I made.

I've got used to them now and can't be bothered with taping them at the back.

Rattles
Melted steering wheel

To be fair most of those are self-inflicted lol