ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
yes it is. Is that the difference?

Yes. Mine is a non cup with only 2 outlets. So one splits for the front and another goes to rear and splits after bias.
5bb2d7de0279072a06d3e143cd4ac68a.jpg

Sorry probably shouldn’t post pictures in your tread [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Yes. Mine is a non cup with only 2 outlets. So one splits for the front and another goes to rear and splits after bias.
5bb2d7de0279072a06d3e143cd4ac68a.jpg

Sorry probably shouldn’t post pictures in your tread [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah that explains it! Don't have a problem with you posting pictures mate. (as long as they're relevant of course :wink: )

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Great thread, but you haven't half had some bad luck - blimey.
Will be referencing this thread also in my rebuild - interested to hear how the brake lines are as I will be fitting some shortly

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Great thread, but you haven't half had some bad luck - blimey.
Will be referencing this thread also in my rebuild - interested to hear how the brake lines are as I will be fitting some shortly
Glad you're enjoying it. I'm enjoying following your thread too!
I'm hoping this car (and me) has had it's quota of bad luck now. I'm trying to stay positive about next season having now had a whole season without any racing.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Glad you're enjoying it. I'm enjoying following your thread too!
I'm hoping this car (and me) has had it's quota of bad luck now. I'm trying to stay positive about next season having now had a whole season without any racing.

Mine is a little slow in comparison to the summary in this thread, ha.
I must admit the bad luck and ultimately expense you have faced is why I do not think I will ever commit to a series/season. I think trackdays and one off events may be my choice. Good luck though for the future.

What an awesome build thread! You had some s**t luck to start with, things look to be improving nicely tho :cool:

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
What an awesome build thread! You had some s**t luck to start with, things look to be improving nicely tho :cool:
Thanks Adam, I'm hopeful next season will go better!
Should be another update very shortly as the breaks are nearly finished and I finally have the pulleys back from Nick at Pure motorsport so the engine can finally be buttoned up and bolted to the gearbox ready for install.

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Brakes are now finished and ready to go back on the car. I still have the new lines to run though, so that's next. And as the season is now over with out the car ever touching a track I may as well start getting on with some of the jobs that were supposed to be done in stage 2, after the car had been back together for a while.
So, once the brake lines are in the rear beam is coming off to be sandblasted and powder coated and then the whole rear end will be fresh along with the PM rear anti-rollbar.
upload_2017-11-27_22-42-48.png

brakes stripped and ready for paint
upload_2017-11-27_22-43-17.png

primed with VHT primer
upload_2017-11-27_22-43-45.png

upload_2017-11-27_22-43-59.png

New set of 10mm hub spacers will be going on with 2degree negative camber
upload_2017-11-27_22-44-53.png

hubs and axles painted in wrinkle black. And then discovered an anomaly.
upload_2017-11-27_22-46-24.png

After some investigating it appears I have 1 axle off a 182 and one off a 172. Odd that it wasn't noticeable on the car, but with one rear quarter replaced and the arches rolled if I had noticed a difference I probably would have put it down to that rather than the axles.
Anyway a second hand one was supplied by Tim Finch so I now have 2 182 axles. (The thicker ones. These are 6mm wider than the 172s.)
upload_2017-11-27_22-49-28.png

Painting all finished
upload_2017-11-27_22-49-48.png

...and new stainless steel bleed nipples
upload_2017-11-27_22-50-17.png

upload_2017-11-27_22-50-35.png

and all reassembled with new seals on the fronts. The rear calipers were already pretty new so were in good condition.

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
As all the hubs and brakes have been refurbished it didn't make sense to leave the rear beam alone.
So off it came and has gone off to the powdercoaters while I wait for some Powerflex Black series bushes and rear top mounts which will complete the chassis overhaul.
Thanks to Kevin at KAM Racing for the bushes and also sorting out replacement bolts. One of which was well and truly seized!
upload_2017-12-7_20-2-34.png

No amount of heat and penetrating oil was shifting this!
upload_2017-12-7_20-4-33.png

Bushes cut out along with excess metalwork.
upload_2017-12-7_20-2-57.png

upload_2017-12-7_20-5-36.png

One surviving bolt. New ones ordered.

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
A quick update before Christmas..
Just brake lines to complete and steering column to fit and finally everything can start going back in the car. (Doesn't sound like much when I say it like that!)
Bushes and new bolts arrived from KAM so rear beam is now back together.
upload_2017-12-22_18-38-37.png

So much easier to install off the car and newly powdercoated.
upload_2017-12-22_18-39-24.png

No pressing required, just a few firm taps with a rubber mallet
upload_2017-12-22_18-39-40.png

Then installed the PM Anti roll bar.
upload_2017-12-22_18-41-9.png

upload_2017-12-22_18-41-37.png

upload_2017-12-22_18-41-47.png

Unable to fight off the OCD I fixed helicopter tape to areas where the ARB would be clamped to the beam.
upload_2017-12-22_18-42-57.png

and on the U Bolt plate
upload_2017-12-22_18-43-22.png

All will be torqued up properly once on the car.
upload_2017-12-22_18-44-1.png

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I've just re-read this thread out of pure interest in the attention to detail on this.

Keep it up!

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Rear beam and suspension installed in the car yesterday. Everything torqued up so now I can move on to the remaining jobs listed below.
DSC_0387.JPG

DSC_0379.JPG

Finish removing brake pipes and fuel pipes from under car

Remove front brake pipes

Install remaining brake lines and drill bulkhead

Drill and clip brake lines and finish clipping fuel lines.

Check all brake line connections

Check all fuel line connections

Remove ARB from front sub frame

Remove material on inner poly bush and re-install

Remove steering column

Run wiring for EPAS controller

Install EPAS column

Fit steering rack conversion kit

Remove PAS pump from engine and install pulley kit

Fit front sub frame, steering rack and suspension assembly

Clean up gearbox and paint where necessary

Join engine and gearbox and install in car

Connect up plumbing and wiring

Hopefully get this done in the next 3 months ready for the new season.

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
DSC_0373.JPG

Difficult to see here but I think 2 degrees negative camber will allow the wheels to clear the arches, even with the additional 10mm spacing each side. If not I can add another shim and roll the arches a bit more.
Won't know for sure until it's back on the ground.

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Small diversion from mechanicals today. Before fixing the new internal brake hoses I wanted to tidy up and respray the interior behind the seats. While I was at it I took the opportunity to lighten the bootlid a bit.
After this and removing a few redundant brackets in the back of the car I've managed to shave off another 2.3 kg.
IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg
IMG_0232.jpg

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Started EPAS conversion today. I was surprised by the weight difference between the Epas column compared to the standard one so as I've been working to gradually shave weight during the rebuild I brought the scales out to compare the total weight difference of the 2 systems.

Standard column 3.6kg

EPAS column 8.3kg

Power steering pump 2.5kg

Pump delete kit 625g

Hoses, pipes and reservoir 3.1kg

Not including the weight of the fluid I’m saving 275g!

A small victory this time!

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
I think my wife said it best "are you serious" try spending a few weekends with no beers...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
What does she know it's more fun spending a grand and a few weekends. Good work boys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
EPAS instal is taking shape and also tidying up a bit of wiring under the dash this week. Hopefully have the column and rack back in the car by the end of the weekend.
IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

A busbar for all ancillaries powered up with ignition 2nd position.

IMG_0369.jpg

New 4pin plug for connection to the torque sensor on the column
IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

installing the Proline Steering rack bung and loop kit. Topped up fluid and hopefully got all the air out!

IMG_0389.jpg

wiring in the EPAS controller
IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

And finally for tonight.. bought some 30mm aluminium bar to make some spacers so I can drop the steering column down to a better angle.

Looking good! I love my epas, even on track it feels great. I’m planning on dropping my steering coloum down a bit to but haven’t got round to it yet.

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
dci rack gives you a slightly more positive feel, hardly noticeable though to be honest.
That's interesting. My concern with the DCi rack is that it only mounts on 2 bolts and doesn't look all that strong. That's why I've made up some reinforcement plates for the bracket on the passenger side. I still imagine it could flex under load on the track though.
I'd like to try both on track and mount a GoPro facing it under the car to see what happens. Maybe try that this year some time.

dan's cast offs.
i've got a few tarmac rally cars and one forest car running them and they've been fine so far. only downside is you can't get a quick rack conversion for the dci rack.

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
How did you ensure the was no air in the system? I'm currently fitting EPAS.

Cheers.
Filled the rack slowly (it was already pretty full) until fluid was showing in both openings and then worked the rack one way and then the other several times and tipping it slightly to allow the air to work through and exit out of the holes.
Did this a few times, topping it up as I went until no more bubbles were showing. I don't think it's absolutely critical to be honest, the fluid is no longer under pressure and is really just lubricating the system now as I understand it.

IMG_0373.jpg

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Filled the rack slowly (it was already pretty full) until fluid was showing in both openings and then worked the rack one way and then the other several times and tipping it slightly to allow the air to work through and exit out of the holes.
Did this a few times, topping it up as I went until no more bubbles were showing. I don't think it's absolutely critical to be honest, the fluid is no longer under pressure and is really just lubricating the system now as I understand it.

View attachment 1355489

Cheers.

Mine was pretty full so I wont stress too much at present!