ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The sleepers appreciation thread

Track 172 & Golf R32
a car that looks like a normal car with a small engine.. but goes like s**t off a shovel... cos its got a different engine in it

proper definition lol.... a car that gives the perception of bein slow but leaves u stunned when it owns u

172 Race Car
Long overdue bump, saw this yesterday............

IMAGE_045.gif

IMAGE_044.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
my old everyday sleeper

1.2 clio, £100 with tax and mot when i got it

DSC00048.jpg

had this fitted for drag racing when it wasnt in its daily guise

DSC00104.jpg

and slicks for when it was on track ;)

clioturbo-1.jpg

5625_fcs07.jpg

good for 13 sec quarters and all round crack at the trafic lights

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
0402_01z+1975_volvo_240+front_side_view.jpg

0402_02z+1975_volvo_240+rear_side_view.jpg

0402_03z+1975_volvo_240+engine_bay_view.jpg

0402_04z+1975_volvo_240+seat_view.jpg

0402_05z+1975_volvo_240+control_panel_view.jpg

0402_06z+1975_volvo_240+wheel_view.jpg

0402_07z+1975_volvo_240+side_view.jpg

Taken From European Performance Car

1975 Volvo 242

The 240's current compressor comes off a 7-liter Volvo truck engine, but he has plans to use an even larger turbo from a 9-liter Volvo truck powerplant.

The block is a Volvo B21ET which Alfredsson bored out 0.5mm to bring displacement up from 2.1 to 2.15 liters. The intercooler is off a Volvo FL6 diesel truck. The cylinder heads are from a Volvo-Penta 16-valve marine engine. The shifter and linkage are from a '97 940, the clutch from a '95 850R. The suspension is from an '84 244 Turbo. The front end and bumpers are from an '83 240, the dash from a '93, and the mirrors and mudflaps are from an '86. The 17-in. wheels are aftermarket Volvo "Polaris" hoops, and even the paint is Volvo--"Laser Blue" from a 2000 V70R AWD.

That he wasn't able to cull from Volvo's parts bin, Alfredsson either adapted or fabricated himself. The oil-fed piston cooling system, oil cooler, front seat and fuel pumps are Saab parts, of which Alfredsson has owned two, which pales slightly to the 53 Volvos he's run through (there are five in his manger at the moment). Besides adapting the piston-cooling system, Alfredsson machined his own cams for more lift, sandblasted and powdercoated the entire suspension, and designed and constructed his own stainless exhaust system (44mm internal diameter), which grows to 3-inches from the turbo back to the Simons muffler.

Those two Saab 9000 fuel pumps feed the voracious engine through parallel, 9mm fuel lines Alfredsson fabbed, and the flood of octane is handled by a ProSpark ignition and fuel management system. Current output according to the SQR chassis dyno--running 1.95 bar (28 psi) of boost--is 595 hp. He's run upwards of 2.8 bar (41 psi!!) on the street, and currently has the engine rev-limited to 7800 rpm, after a dyno run ending at exactly 9473 rpm instigated an engine-internals catastrophe of biblical proportions.

As you might have prophesized, channeling that much horse-pressure through an open differential could be pricey unless you own Pirelli stock. Unable to find a suitable locking differential for his application, Alfredsson simply welded up the stock one. This 600 hp, rear-wheel-drive, 2,900-lb Volvo has a permanently locked differential. Alfredsson says it's rarely a problem, unless you wish to turn, to which he injected: "You turn with the throttle."

Anyone wishing to see God should simply take a spin with Alfredsson. Even the Almighty couldn't call shotgun, however, as Alfredsson removed the passenger seat for a track day and never reinstalled it. The effect from the rear bench is akin to a carrier launch on your sofa. "If you try to accelerate in third gear, even at 130, 140 kph [80, 90 mph] the tires just spin up. The car starts to feel loose over 250 kph [155 mph], and it gets there quickly," Alfredsson calmly explains. "With the locked diff it wants to go straight--you need to get on the gas to get it to turn. You are terrified and excited at the same time." Nodding while I digest this conversational nugget, Alfredsson adds flatly, "Lots of donuts."

So what'll she do? This mother of all Volvos has only been to the dragstrip once, where it did it's best to liquefy the 225/45-series Pirelli rear tires, but still turned an 11.91-sec. 1/4-mile. More telling is the trap speed, a brisk 122 mph. "With the 7800 rpm rev limit, it works out to 259 kph in fourth [160 mph]...I've never been to redline in fifth, but with that rev limit, it works out to 290-something kph." That's 180-something mph.

We got a peek at Alfredsson next project car, lurking in the corner of his backyard shop, draped with sheets against January's chill. Tired of evaporating tires, it's another 242, into which he's inserting a turbocharged inline-six and his own all-wheel-drive system. As for this Laser Blue rocket, Alfredsson says plainly that he wants to have the fastest street legal 240 in Sweden. "The turbo from the 9-liter engine should help out," he said, thinking out loud. "With some mods that will allow more boost, that will take it up to around 1000 hp. Then I will also add nitrous. Should be enough."

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
In no way a sleeper but........ My Nitrous V6 with 100 jets back in 2002 ( you can just see two 5 pound bottles behind the back seats ) . Ran a best of 13.4 @ 107 mph which wasnt much faster than the orange sleeper. I blew the V6 engine as well :D but got that covered under warranty.

Warranty! Hehehehe that is awesome :) "It just went pop" ? Go on mate admit it, you enjoyed the Vee a little bit ;)

Correct! I have had the pleasure of driving it and once you get over the traction issues I would say up to around 80 MPH or so its on par with a something like a Ferrari 355. (I have been in one beforeI get Slated!) He ran a 13 second dead at santa pod last year before fitiing 8 injectors and having it properly mapped with omex managment.

Fiat Punto GT
gregs2ltr4.jpg

gregs2ltr3.jpg

gregs2ltr.jpg

gregs2ltr2-1.jpg

driveshaftmuncher.jpg

350bhp 2ltr Turbo engine from a Fiat Coupe 16VT.

Not the twin DVs have gone now, these pics are a few years old.

172 Race Car
This has to be in here.........

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cs34szfv8qw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cs34szfv8qw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

K20 eg 217 whp.
True sleeper :eek:

CIMG0001.jpg

CIMG0012.jpg

The best part....

CIMG0002.jpg

Another civic...

Dropped.jpg

nws8.jpg

sleepy2.jpg

217whp // 184wtq

"It's currently on the stock hubs and raised 1" from the lowered state for winter, I daily drive the car 300+ miles a week. It's a blast to drive and reliable as a stock Honda. Runs mid 12's and gets 30mpg to boot, gotta love it"

Last edited:
  williams and trophy
a lads clio off here dont know the power but it was bloody quick lol took at the fast show
IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

a lad i know graham codys 400 bhp astra gsi mk3 turbo
DSC01929.jpg

DSC01997.jpg

DSC01996.jpg

another lad i know dave broomfeild 290bhp nova turbo
DSC01972.jpg

DSC01979.jpg

DSC01983.jpg

ricks 300 bhp nova turbo
DSC01989.jpg

DSC01985.jpg

DSC01987.jpg

hehe..not seen codys astra for time. will he ever finish building /rebuilding it??