ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Shoe-string Turbo Build - Track and RR result

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
for my birthday i partook in the RTOC national day at Blyton park. I used this as an opportunity to test my poverty spec engine build :p

The car had done about 300 miles on the rebuilt engine, which in case anyone wants to know went against pretty much every rule in the book. I reused my 14k old pistons and rings in a second hand block that just had a hone, and I also reused the oversize bearings from the crank in the new block. So save for re-using the cam belt and head bolts, I pretty much cut corners! lol!

I rolled through the Blyton park gates on the saturday morning with just those 300 miles under its belt. quick briefing session later and bang, out onto track the turbo went! without a moments hesitation!

Ran it all day and it never skipped a beat...well apart from boiling the brake fluid repeatedly........need to sort the brakes! The engine pulled beautifully and apart from a few snicks into 3rd on the gearbox, the drivetrain held up well as well. The track was very hard on driver and car, lots of fast but short straights into difficult and tight chicanes, great track though and very good for beginners as theres nothing to hit really if you spin/come off bar other users and corn fields.

Either way, by mid afternoon I'd heard the rolling road was actually laid on gratis as part of the entry, another excellent little perk from RTOC, so I rolled straight off the track and onto the rollers, charge temps weren't too bad but put it this way, guy struggled to get it onto rollers as i'd boiled the brakes again and they werent working!lol! so the car was a tad warm!

RR-28-07-2012.jpg

None to shabby for a build using re-used rings and bearings and slapped together on a grassy/muddy hill in Derbyshire ;)
H
oped for a bit more really, car feels as quick as it did last year so be interesting to see if i can maintain the 117mph terminals at pod in September and keep in the low 12 second passes!

But either way, chuffed! car did full day at Blyton and a RR all on a 'dodgy' engine, take that nay sayers! mwuhahahahahahahha! :rasp:

53 Clio's & counting
Next you will be saying you re-used the old oil that came out ;)

On a serious note mate great going :)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
rofl, ai it wasn't in best of nick after a good 4 years of abuse :) I would of reused it if I could, i'm all about the recycling!

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Nice one Coop! And i thought Dan was the pikey when it came to fixing the turbo's :rasp:

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
we have a pikie competition, he usually wins but only because he's had to rebuild his a lot more than me! lol!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
you haven't seen me for a while have you treacle, I'm sporting a full Taliban wannabe beard and shaved head, tres Max Payne chic hombre ;-)