ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
You dont want that one apparently. T'internet says it runs got due to very poor heat management. My mate returned his yesterday because even when doing light workloads it gets very hot.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Oh :/ well it has the higher binned chip so it would be ideal for a decent watercooling setup.

Iirc it's been pushed to 3.2ghz on liquid nitrogen 😂

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I don't know mate as I didn't buy it in the end! It was the GPU that I wanted but, after waiting for so long, I thought I'd never get one and ended up buying the ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 OC Gaming (a few weeks ago) - for the bargain price of £2699. :ROFLMAO: I'm quite glad I bought it as I see they have now gone up to the 3k price bracket in the last few weeks! Ridiculous.

I paid £2149 for my STRIX 3090 OC exactly a month ago. Now up for £2899 on Overclockers 😱

These are mental prices tbh, I paid £1589 for my 3090 back in Oct 2020 which was a retarded price then, I mean it doesn’t justify that price let alone anything over 2k.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Nvidea have truly fucked us tbh, not looking forward to having to put aside over 1k per future build just for a GPU

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Can only assume it’s because they along with the 3090’s currently provide one of the best hashrates.

Yeah, the non-LHR cards are the ones demanding the premium so it does make sense. Kinda surprised mine hasn’t been snapped up on here at the price, be an easy bit of profit for someone. I’m going to list it on eBay this weekend now I’ve finally finished sort out all my PC bits.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I'm not a total PC baller like many on here and have a pretty low level PC but would like some advice.

I only play pretty low level games, mainly RTS.

I started playing Command and conquer 3 last week and it wouldn't let me run it at full spec and on a high resolution for my monitor (BenQ EL2870U 28 inch) The game ran but the screen would go black and flick on and off. Is this a graphics card issue (well my onboard one! LOL) or monitor issue? I had to change the display resolution as it was so f**king big on my screen you could hardly see any of the map.

It plays the remaster of command and conquer no worries?

This is my spec:

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G - 4-Core 3.6GHz, 4.0GHz Turbo - 4MB L3 Cache w/ Radeon Vega 8 Graphics

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS A320M-K: M-ATX w/ 2 RAM Slots, USB 3.1, SATA3

16GB of RAM

Any advice owuld be great!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
C&C 3 is ancient! The remaster of C&C has been updated to work on newer systems. As a first step, I’d run it in compatibility mode for an old OS like XP or Vista.

Yeah I saw it on Steam on sale so I had to get it bought LOL

So it could be a compatability issue you think?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
it only messes around when i set everything at full with a high resolutuion.

Game runs fine when I lower it down and have a lower res.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I’ve been thinking of going for a 5950X and 6900XT combo. Not spunking 3k on a 3090 when I can get the above for a grand less.
This is the one Mark got:

Cheaper from eBuyer:

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I saw it on Steam on sale so I had to get it bought LOL

So it could be a compatability issue you think?

Probably, it’s really hard to tell. Driver issue most likely, or maybe it’s trying to run at too high a refresh rate for your monitor. TBH, I’d be happy it ran at all 😂

Reactions: seb

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Go for one with the XTX GPU, it's got a higher binned core.

Sapphire 6900XT Nitro+ SE
Asus 6900XT LC
Powercolour 6900XT Red Devil Ultimate
MSI 6900XT Gaming X Trio

I've got the Sapphire one and it regularly runs at 2500Mhz with no overclocking.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
WTAF...!!!!
I don't think I've ever known stupidity like this. Thank you ASUS. :cry:

My CMOS battery needs replacing and I have an ASUS VI Rampage Extreme motherboard (X299 / LGA 2066) that is, sadly, NOT the newer Encore version. It shouldn't really make too much of a difference when it comes to changing the CMOS battery, right? Well FML.

Some absolute bellend of an ASUS mobo (mofo?) designer though it would be a good idea to stick the CMOS battery under the "Armor-Shield" that graces the rather splendid aesthetics of the motherboard. No problem with that at all. Other than the fact that there is no easy access to the battery and its holder. On the newer Encore version you just undo a few screws, pop the fairing off, replace the battery, replace the fairing, job done.

My version of the mobo? You have to take the whole thing out of your chassis and remove a dozen screws from the rear of the motherboard, which then allows you to remove the shielding on the front (along with a few more screws) and, voila, access to the battery. And hope it's not partially soldered in as some users have found that to be the case. Fuming. So I have to take my PC completely apart - removal of radiators, cooling loop, expansion cards, the whole lot - just to change the battery - and then put everything back together again. Absolutely ridiculous for a 650 quid mobo.

(Not my pics, borrowed from the 'net).

asus-cmos-01.jpg

asus-cmos-02.jpg

asus-cmos-03.jpg

I. Cannot. Be. Ar$ed.

EDIT:
AND... not one single mention of this in the 200 page manual that comes with it. Funny that. W**kers.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
WTAF...!!!!
I don't think I've ever known stupidity like this. Thank you ASUS. :cry:

My CMOS battery needs replacing and I have an ASUS VI Rampage Extreme motherboard (X299 / LGA 2066) that is, sadly, NOT the newer Encore version. It shouldn't really make too much of a difference when it comes to changing the CMOS battery, right? Well FML.

Some absolute bellend of an ASUS mobo (mofo?) designer though it would be a good idea to stick the CMOS battery under the "Armor-Shield" that graces the rather splendid aesthetics of the motherboard. No problem with that at all. Other than the fact that there is no easy access to the battery and its holder. On the newer Encore version you just undo a few screws, pop the fairing off, replace the battery, replace the fairing, job done.

My version of the mobo? You have to take the whole thing out of your chassis and remove a dozen screws from the rear of the motherboard, which then allows you to remove the shielding on the front (along with a few more screws) and, voila, access to the battery. And hope it's not partially soldered in as some users have found that to be the case. Fuming. So I have to take my PC completely apart - removal of radiators, cooling loop, expansion cards, the whole lot - just to change the battery - and then put everything back together again. Absolutely ridiculous for a 650 quid mobo.

(Not my pics, borrowed from the 'net).

View attachment 1568524
View attachment 1568525
View attachment 1568526

I. Cannot. Be. Ar$ed.

EDIT:
AND... not one single mention of this in the 200 page manual that comes with it. Funny that. W**kers.

Im very surpised you've had to replace a CMOS battery, can't say ive ever had to replace one in a non server board in my life of having home PC's.

P.s. your nails.

• Haha
Reactions: Ben

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Read it again mate... not my photos, as stated in my post! :ROFLMAO:

As for the battery - yup, it's not a thing that happens all too often I don't think; this is only the second or third time I've had to change one.

lol, must admit I did skim read, clearly :ROFLMAO:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
So, after owning various PCs over 29 years and working in IT for the last 24 of those - I recently tried using a monitor in portrait mode. O...M...G.

This was purely through necessity - in having three work monitors at home on a fairly short desk. But now that I've done this - I'm finding it to be my primary monitor. So many apps look and 'feel' better in this mode - Outlook, Teams and certainly Excel. As below, the forum is great too.

Nothing like being late to the party, eh? I feel like I've been doing the IT equivalent of driving automatics for all those years and have just discovered manual gearboxes. :p

1638519050108.png

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Mental, I put my two 2080 Ti graphics cards up for sale and they sold pretty much immediately (and didn't really have to haggle over the prices either). The GPU market really is crazy at the moment. Managed to get £850 for the EVGA and £775 for the Palit. I should have put them up for more!

I'm trying to plan my next PC upgrade. Don't really know what I'm doing though, so any help appreciated!

Current spec is :
Asus Z170-A Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 VISION OC 8GB

Shopping list at the moment:
ASUS Intel Z590 TUF GAMING Z590-PLUS WIFI ATX
Intel Core i7 11700K Rocket Lake PCIe 4.0 CPU
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB 4000MHz DDR4 Memory Kit

£784.45 total. I'd like to lower the cost if possible. Is it even worth upgrading my RAM from 3200 to 4000 ? I could just get two more sticks of 3200 to get 32GB.

I think my main bottleneck at the moment is the cpu, so that is priority.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Not really. Anyone buying into a new platform should be going Z690 as it’s the best at the moment. 12600k or 127-0k is all the processor anyone would need for the next 4 to 5 years. Pair it with some “cheap” quick DDR4 ram and its a beast. DDR5 not worth it at the moment.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Z690 with DDR4 or wait until early next year for the updated Ryzen 5xxx with 3d cache which should be quicker than the Intel 12900 etc. There's not much in it as it is so with the uplift in performance they're expecting AMD should take the crown back.

AMD will be going to AM5 and DDR5 late next year.

As said DDR5 not worth it, probably won't be for a good couple of years yet. Speeds are too low and latency too high at the moment.

Crispy.

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW G31 530D Msport
AWD 3060ti 12600KF Pre-build

Current times are wild... I think the above is my only chance at getting pretty much everything I would need for a decent while in a quick time for a decent price.

Anyone had any experience with pre-builds from AWD-IT? I've seen some nightmare pre-build stuff in the past...

AWD 3060ti 12600KF Pre-build

Current times are wild... I think the above is my only chance at getting pretty much everything I would need for a decent while in a quick time for a decent price.

Anyone had any experience with pre-builds from AWD-IT? I've seen some nightmare pre-build stuff in the past...

My friend has had one from them in the past and it is decent.

Those specs look OK but you definitely need a bigger PSU and more, preferably faster, RAM. I would also opt for an M.2 drive.

Last edited:

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So I find myself back in an ATX setup due to guff Bios' on the only available Z690 itx motherboard. Jack (My son) is rocking my old setup (8700k and 2080Ti) in the Coolermaster NR200P whilst I'm back in my old Phanteks P600 case with a 12700k and 3090.

Got myself some unicorn vommit (RGB) fans also as we all know, RGB wins games:

_OBpl9AlwvCxHsNXrOsWx-pBf=w1278-h959-no?authuser=0.jpg