ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

2014 Focus Titanium
My PC,
3770K @3.9Ghz (up to 4.4possible)
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
Palit 670GTX Jetstream
AX750 PSU
@1080p i have no need to change anything at all! Play everything well above 60FPS usually on high, New BF was on high @54fps, No need for anything new unless you go 1440p<
Unless you get a proper gaming monitor :) I don't playing anything @ less than 100fps now on my 144hz monitor.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Just ordered a death adder chroma to see how I get on. Would have got the standard 2013 if my keyboard wasn't red. Just want it to match lol.

Will see how I feel after using it for a bit compared to both the IE 3.0 and original death adder.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The price we pay for colour coordination!

That looks awesome though, maybe I could relegate my DA to work... My current work mouse is literally the size of a .... well, a mouse!

F82 M4
What games you playing that with?
Only the odd fps will benifit surely

Any game that requires mouse and keyboard input benefits from 144hz. FPS's, MOBA's, RTS's etc.

3rd person games that you use a controller for not so much. Still looks nice a smoother though :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'd quite like to see a 144hz screen to see what the fuss is about. I do find it hard to believe it could make that much difference. I mean, the maximum latency 60hz over 144hz can add is like 10ms... Considering my best reaction time is around 220ms we're talking 5%

2014 Focus Titanium
I'd quite like to see a 144hz screen to see what the fuss is about. I do find it hard to believe it could make that much difference. I mean, the maximum latency 60hz over 144hz can add is like 10ms... Considering my best reaction time is around 220ms we're talking 5%
Honestly mate I'll try to explain it but you need to try it to see it properly.

A 120/144 (144 in my case) has been the biggest benefit to my gaming since I upgraded to a decent graphics card and started getting more than 30fps. If you've experience the difference between 30fps and 60fps you'll know that 60fps is a lot easier to aim and such because it's smoother. Well the difference between 60-120/144hz you might not think would make much of a difference but you don't realise how blurry your 60hz monitor gets with fast paced stuff.

For example in CS:GO, frequently you need to do a 180 because someone is shooting you from behind, and you have about 2 seconds to kill them because otherwise you're dead. Well with 60hz, I would spin round and my monitor would go blurry while turning (because refreshing 60 times when the full screen is moving quickly isn't enough to keep it looking clear), then stop turning, my eyes would readjust focus, then I'd try to shoot the guy and by that time I'm dead because the half a second it's taken my eyes to readjust and then re-aim has made me take that little bit longer.

The best way I can describe it is when I got my 144hz monitor I suddenly felt like I was playing in slow motion. Sounds really weird but because it's so buttery smooth it actually feels like that! Aiming feels like it's twice as easy because it never goes blurry so your eyes never need to readjust, it really is epic.

TLDR; just try one and you'll see what we all mean.

I roll 120hz and the difference is noticeable. Rocking Crysis 3 on maximum settings at 120fps is quite something.

Having said that, it isn't really that important to me these days. I'm perfectly happy playing Destiny at 30fps on PS4. In fact in some ways it's better. Certainly feels more cinematic. But yes, if you're living by the 'frames for life' power PC ethos, then 120hz (I haven't tried 144) is a marked improvement over 60, and the buttery smoothness adds extra realism unless your eyes see RL at 30fps.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
And why not...... the 2nd one went in yesterday...

GTX690%20x2_zps2ilb5nhu.jpg

I roll 120hz and the difference is noticeable. Rocking Crysis 3 on maximum settings at 120fps is quite something.

Having said that, it isn't really that important to me these days. I'm perfectly happy playing Destiny at 30fps on PS4. In fact in some ways it's better. Certainly feels more cinematic. But yes, if you're living by the 'frames for life' power PC ethos, then 120hz (I haven't tried 144) is a marked improvement over 60, and the buttery smoothness adds extra realism unless your eyes see RL at 30fps.

+1 to this, 120Hz here also, the difference is definitely noticable.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Have 4 & 5K monitors really got a bad rep at the minute? Read the article in the back of this month's Custom PC and the bloke was saying that through the DisplayPort - they suffer extremely bad screen tearing?
Can anyone vouch for this?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
F**k me... Intel 750 Series SSD (PCIe 3.0 x4) is immense. Serious performance! I don't think I've ever seen peak read speeds over 2.7GB/s and sustained writes of 1.2GB (obviously depends on the types of read/writes being performed but still... what a monster!) I can't wait until these come down in price and into the more mainstream consumer market. Highly recommended!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I've just ordered a DXRacer King Series chair from the EU store. f**king expensive chair but I need a new one and I like the look of it because I'm a child.

Only thing is they don't come back in stock until May 29th...

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
They're not in the UK yet though Andy are they?

I'm grabbing one :smile:
I'm assuming there must be one or two somewhere as we've got a couple for our workstations :smile: I think I'll be getting one for my home setup at some point, too.

EDIT: Ah, but we are / have been part of various Intel developer programmes so...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
But can it run Crysis? :smiley:

Could be tricky m8! :p
I do want to try some testing for the lolz though. Like the Quake3 engine or something similar. I tried the original Medal of Hono(u)r from 2002 the other day and as soon as I maxed the settings out, the bottom half of the screen went black. Clearly the concept of SLi wasn't at the forefront of support back then! I disabled SLi when the MoA.exe is run and everything was fine. I'm pretty sure that that game can't stress out a single GTX680 core all by itself.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've just ordered a DXRacer King Series chair from the EU store. f**king expensive chair but I need a new one and I like the look of it because I'm a child.

Do they lock so that you can use them with pedals? Or is the racer part of the name a farce?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Not as far as I'm aware. It's named to do with the chair design what with it looking like a "racing seat".
I imagine that in the "drift" series of chairs you can't drift in them either. A little disappointing but it was to be expected.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
lol.

Just seems like a missed market IMO. A swivel chair that has a locking facility so that you can lower it etc and use pedals without having to use up space with a dedicated racing seat.

Evo 5 RS
I'm assuming there must be one or two somewhere as we've got a couple for our workstations :smile: I think I'll be getting one for my home setup at some point, too.

EDIT: Ah, but we are / have been part of various Intel developer programmes so...
b*****d! Yeah they're due end of May lol.

With the three TITANX I'll need to run a PCIE 4x extender cable in order to fit it

You won't be disappointed. So comfortable and very adjustable. I don't know why I put up with my old worn out chair for so long. Lying completely flat feels so weird in them! Feels like you are going to tip backwards

One thing worth getting for them is a little bit of 50mm velcro so that you can have the headrest sit at head height. For some reason the velcro strap they come with doesn't let it go low enough

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201143140026

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Any recommendations on a decent case? I want (need) a new one but I'm far too indecisive lol!

I like the looks of the nzxt phantom cases but I don't know whether or not to go for something more purposeful rather than for looks.

I have a original phantom and I can vouch for the build quality of it, nzxt have gone downhill as a company tho, so I don't have much to say about their new stuff, however the 410 was a good case
I also have a prodigy as my uni pc and it's a great little case but really struggles with a h100i and a windforce 280x in there
Corsair are great from what I've heard

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So the bug has started. I can't justify throwing too much money at this PC but Tuesday I took the day off work. 5 minutes later I found myself at Aria picking up an EVGA GTX 970 FTW edition to replace my R9 270X.

On the plus side I got Witcher 3 and Batman: Arkham City keys for free with the deal.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It's a great case for the money. Very easy to work with and looks good through the window as everyone says.

I don't personally use the 5.25" bays for anything other than holding 3.5" HDDs.