ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Nice, I'm just starting a Mini-iTX build for the living room, ordered the Corsair 250D as a starting point.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Asus X99-E WS motherboard
Intel 5930K
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
2 x 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSDs
1000W SuperFlower Leadex Fully Modular 80 Plus Platinum PSU
CaseLabs Magnum SMH10 Matte Black case
Pexon Cable Braiding
Lots of Noiseblock BlackSilent Pro fans, Akasa PWM Controllers
2 X ROG Swift monitors

The case, fans and PSU will be re-used when I watercool later next year :smile:

I bet those SSDs alone set you back a tidy penny!

DCi
I'm changing mobo and processor over xmas... Is there any reason not to go to w8? I'm currently using w7 but figure might as well use this as a chance to make the jump?

Renault Clio182 bean
I like to build my own computers, I build a new one every 2-3 years and sell the old one, my current PC is the one below.
IMG_1842_zps8e258db7.jpg

IMG_1845_zps588e5364.jpg

IMG_1856_zpsd5a2c387.jpg

DCi
Personal preference imo.

I'm staying with Win7 until Win10, as I just don't like Win8.

Performance increases are negligible, all depends if you like the updated UI stuff or not.
I stuck with 7 as if there no real benefit then I might as well save the cost...

I did a mobo/processor/mem/gfx transplant this evening and a fresh install of win7 on my SSD ready for when I get home after Xmas

I was impressed that as soon as I told steam the library was on the untouched D: it pretty much picked up where it left off...The only thing I needed to save from my C: was my champ manager saves :cool:

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Bit of a long post here...how difficult a job is it to change a motherboard and continue using the same CPU? I've built up pc's before but always used motherboard bundles with the CPU on it.

Basically looking to start upgrading my pc a bit in the future. Happy with it just now, but there's a lack of PCI/PCIe space on the motherboard (what I have currently is pretty cramped, hence the above question), and I'm pretty sure it's my weakest link just now and will probably cause issues if I upgraded in the future.

Current spec is:
AMD FX-8320 CPU,
Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 mobo,
8GB DDR3 RAM,
MSI Radeon HD7850 2GB graphics (I know this isn't the best but it's always kept up with any games I've played, so don't see the need to go and spend £300 on a better card just yet)
750W Novatech PSU

As I said above, I think it's my motherboard that's going to need upgraded first, but any advice on my current spec is appreciated.

DCi
You'll mainly have to make sure your new mobo has the same type of processor socket as you've got now

What that might mean is in the future when you do want to upgrade your PC you restrict your options because you have an older socket

There's rarely any benefit solely upgrading the motherboard in any scenario - why do you need to?

Not sure why you need an extra PCI-E slot, for what? If you need a new GPU, upgrade that instead of crossfire etc.

I'd say you never want to upgrade the mobo without upgrading the CPU personally. Chipsets do not last, so if you upgrade mobo you'll be stuck in old tech, for no reason imo.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
There's rarely any benefit solely upgrading the motherboard in any scenario - why do you need to?

Not sure why you need an extra PCI-E slot, for what? If you need a new GPU, upgrade that instead of crossfire etc.
The way the motherboard is laid out my GPU blocks one of the PCIe slots (there's two in total). I've got a sound card in one slot, and my current network card (proper old shed of a thing) in a standard PCI slot. Bought a new network card, but it's PCIe and now I have nowhere to fit it since the GPU is blocking the other slot.

DCi
They are just PCI slots but I know what you mean.

Get a usb dongle for wifi :rasp:

I upgraded my PC this week and I keep getting a CPU fan error - I've noticed it's taking the CPU fan about 20 seconds to kick in so the POST is failing. I've changed the fan mode in the bios to 'something else' which wasn't ignore but I have no idea what but it seems to boot now

The only problem is now I keep looking in the case to check its definitely running :(

Although in good news <3 fresh windows install on a SSD and booting quicker than the PS4

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
You need power line adapters.
Are they any good?

I've just realised I'll be able to fit everything in anyway, the network card is small enough that it'll fit in my available PCI-e slot without blocking the fan for the graphics card, while my sound card will go into the other PCI-e x16 slot I have. Never realised you could put the smaller PCI-e cards into the full sized slots!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Hmm worth considering then. I'll see how I get on with the wireless card when it arrives tomorrow anyway. My wireless speeds are pretty good. Just needed a dual band wireless card to make the most of them.

You'll get better latency 1000% with the wired powerlines, you cannot beat wires with wireless, any day of the week :)

If you do get powerlines, make sure to spend the dollar and get some decent ones. I think mine were 500Mbit, I got the full 80Mbit from my fiber, so good enough for me!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
You'll get better latency 1000% with the wired powerlines, you cannot beat wires with wireless, any day of the week :smile:

If you do get powerlines, make sure to spend the dollar and get some decent ones. I think mine were 500Mbit, I got the full 80Mbit from my fiber, so good enough for me!
Yeah, I know wired will always be better, but I'm not really having any problems with wireless just now, apart from using a 7 year old network card (genuinely, lol) hence the slight upgrade :tongueout:

What kind of latency do you get with wired? My ping is usually around 15-30ms, which I've never had problems with. Speed wise I'm only getting about 22Mbit just now from my 50Mbit internet, but my phone gets about 35-40 in the same location but using the 5Ghz band, so hopefully I'll get the same with my PC and the new card.

In other news, I got annoyed with how messy the cabling was in my pc, so tidied it all up, fed it up the side of the case behind the motherboard to keep it hidden, and I'm quite surprised my PC is running a bit cooler now!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Got my network card installed and ran a couple of speed tests.
This was what I got with my old card connected to my 2.4Ghz band:
4021719357.png

and then my new dual band one connected to the 5Ghz band:
4021723625.png

Considering I'm on 50mb internet, I'm pretty happy with that, and will be sticking with wireless for now I think :tongueclosed:

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Need to build another gaming pc, mines getting on a bit now. Just sorted myself a Corsair 750d case.

HELP!

I just did something very stupid. I tried to install the wireless card in a PCI slot my mistake :(

The PC is showing no signs of life at all now. Have I fried the mobo?
The power cable was out and I had turned the pc on before I started work to completely drain all power

It's a Asus M5A97 PRO AMD 970

The PSU kettle plug was the culprit! I think it might have got mixed up with one of the monitor ones when I moved and must not have been as good quality as the proper PSU one. Swapped them over and it fired up! :D

It went in to bios settings though, not sure if that is because of the wifi mishap or not. But everything is working fine now so happy days!

2014 Focus Titanium
I want a 144hz 27" monitor but I'm too poor at the moment, sick of 60hz for CS:GO it's a massive disadvantage!