ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The PMS shifter rattle

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Guess you saw my mistake on Instagram? Yea I mongol changed it that time. I don’t normally change gear like that and in my defence I haven’t the slightest idea why either. It was 16.50 and I was tired after a long day. It was a costly mistake.

I didn't see that but every money shift I've ever seen has had the driver's hand position as a significant contributing factor!

When I used to teach IAM I stressed first to second or third to second, the ONLY time your palm should face away from you.

I wince every time I see it on a track video.

Lesson learned though, you know what you did and will be unlikely to make that same mistake again!

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
So..... I said I’d spoke to PMS and had a long chat! Well something they said to try was to pack the Rubber housing where the pivot ball sits inside, with some heavy grease. Today I bought some of this stuff in a tube a squeezed half a tube into the rubber. Just been for a test drive and we’ll i be damned. It’s really helped a lot at normal driving speeds ie between 1-4K revs gearchanges there is no rattle at all. Cruising at 50-70mph in 5th nothing. It does rattle during hard acceleration from 4/5k rpm upto the limiter but I have to say it is significantly better. The next thing I’ve been told to try is drop the tower and use a thick silicone adhesive or even make a rubber gasket to fit in between the tower and car body. That’ll be a job in the week now. Watch this space ?
B4B4F9E7-FADE-44AC-B297-B7E9C03FAC28.jpeg

Jamesgsi1983

ClioSport Club Member
  N/A
So..... I said I’d spoke to PMS and had a long chat! Well something they said to try was to pack the Rubber housing where the pivot ball sits inside, with some heavy grease. Today I bought some of this stuff in a tube a squeezed half a tube into the rubber. Just been for a test drive and we’ll i be damned. It’s really helped a lot at normal driving speeds ie between 1-4K revs gearchanges there is no rattle at all. Cruising at 50-70mph in 5th nothing. It does rattle during hard acceleration from 4/5k rpm upto the limiter but I have to say it is significantly better. The next thing I’ve been told to try is drop the tower and use a thick silicone adhesive or even make a rubber gasket to fit in between the tower and car body. That’ll be a job in the week now. Watch this space ?View attachment 1429769
Heard of this @bloke ?

dan's cast offs.
Spoke to nick a while ago and am sure he was trying different things to pack it with but can't remember exactly what he said though sorry.

I've often thought if it's the metal spring that's potentially the issue but would be reluctant to try something non metallic though.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I’ve heard of this..I used the same grease used to pack joints of large plant equipment like tractors/manitou’s.
Definitely quietens the vibrations down..

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Holy thread revival!

Is there a go to fix for this yet?

Is only track car but it sounds lethal on the gopro footage 😂

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Lead shot in the selector rod tube or pms did a weight you bolted to the selector rod, it helps but it wasn't a 100% fix

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Holy thread revival!

Is there a go to fix for this yet?

Is only track car but it sounds lethal on the gopro footage 😂

Filled mine with lead shot the other week and it's 90% cured the rattle on mine. I can atleast not want to kill myself everytime I drive it now.

Anakin

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi TT RS Clio 182
Dynamat inside the tower and on the selector shaft (under car), fresh grease in the top of the tower bearing periodically, I don't have no noise :)

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Changing the bearing,adding an oring under the sleeve and applying a silicone layer between the shell and the shifter is the best.

Then fill the boot that goes to the box with red grease. Zero rattles.