ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The PMS shifter rattle

172 Cup
Sorry Luke I don't, did you spend whole weekend holding the stick to stop the rattle

Yeah man, I evolved to being able to do it with my knee!

Filling the rod with sand........ Do I need to remove the rod, or can you do it in situ, just disconnecting the nut/bolt at the front pivot?

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
need to remove it mate, northloopcup also suggested filling with lead shot at the time IIRC, this might work better.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
my rattle is fine but the cars a track car so usually other parts of it are louder when its used in anger and on trackday commutes I'm headphoned up on the Walkman anyway :)

may try the lead shot thing though perhaps

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Sorry for bumping an old thread but my Pms shifter intermittently rattles like feck.

It can rattle on acceleration from low down in 2nd all the way to the limiter and then same again. Dont get me wrong i expected rattles but its savage then sometimes silent ? Same as vids earlier.

I have the dampener to fit - is it worth stripping shifter down and greasing it up?

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I reckon it's the bearing that the stick runs through in the turret that isn't a tight fit,
I would try stripping down the lever and centre popping the instead of the turret where the bearing sits and the same area on the stick to take up any minimal play.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Ill strip it down and check it out. I can handle a bit of noise but rattling the full rpm range is highly annoying.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I did initially set it up in reverse then had several attempts at resetting it. Can get all forward gears ok reverse is a little bit difficult. Any tips ? Will better adjustment make a difference as this had crossed my mind.

dan's cast offs.
i always set them by eye in neutral and very rare to get much rattling that way, don't know if it's just coincidence though?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Thats how i done this one to be fair as first attempt in reverse did not work out so well. Ive fitted the dampener on the linkage now but not had chance to test drive. The extra weight makes the shift feel even better, will try it through the week and go from there.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Thread bump

Now mounted in my daily the rattle is in all honesty a t**t. I'm going to go the lead shot route as we've got that stuff at work and report back

Jamesgsi1983

ClioSport Club Member
  N/A
I reckon I have the loudest PMS shifter on here.

So frustrating as the rest of the car is immaculate and that really does kick out some rattle!!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
never seen one anywhere near that bad, got one in each of my cars and negligible rattle from them. even in rally car with solid mounts minimal rattle.

no one has ever complained about rattle on any i've fitted either.
Mines has a very slight rattle only at higher speeds. I think a lot of the issues are down to poor fitting.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Mine ain’t that bad. Can’t hear it over the engine noise, stripped out noise etc tho.

Got to remember they’re designed as track/race upgrade.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Motorsport shifter, embrace the occasional rattle for the epic shift. Mine hardly ever rattles now, been on for a few thousand miles.

One thing i did notice, is a load of paint of whatever coating is on it, had flaked off from selecting reverse and caused the shifter to go a bit tight. Cleaned it out, regreased and back to normal.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Mine rattles like a mofo. I’ve had a very long chat with Pure motorsport. No cure so told to put up and shut up,stick some earplugs in #becauseracecar. ?

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I've seen a fix where a carb spring is fitted around the stick to the reverse tower.

My rattle stops completely if I lightly touch the gear knob towards 1st.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I've seen a fix where a carb spring is fitted around the stick to the reverse tower.

My rattle stops completely if I lightly touch the gear knob towards 1st.
I actually tried wrapping a 1kg of lead at the gearbox end and that quietened it down 50% then I wrapped another kilo around the slope part which then nearly got it silent apart from just at the highest part of the rpm range. But........... all that lead made the shifter very heavy and actually caused me to miss gear changes at certain high speed changes. A couple of times I missed a gear change and went from 2- 5 and other times from 3rd to -2nd instead of 4th, now that was dangerous as I found out at my last track day at Donnie where I accidentally selected 2nd instead of 4th and the clutch exploded and smashed all the inside of the bell housing. Oops. I’ve since removed all the lead and gonna buy some earplugs. ?

perazzi

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I actually tried wrapping a 1kg of lead at the gearbox end and that quietened it down 50% then I wrapped another kilo around the slope part which then nearly got it silent apart from just at the highest part of the rpm range. But........... all that lead made the shifter very heavy and actually caused me to miss gear changes at certain high speed changes. A couple of times I missed a gear change and went from 2- 5 and other times from 3rd to -2nd instead of 4th, now that was dangerous as I found out at my last track day at Donnie where I accidentally selected 2nd instead of 4th and the clutch exploded and smashed all the inside of the bell housing. Oops. I’ve since removed all the lead and gonna buy some earplugs. ?

I've had mine on and off at least 30 times to try and alter the angryness of the rattle. Moving it around does help.

Visited local shooting store and bought some lead shot, filled up the tube, wrapped some sound-deadening sticky stuff around everything else and the noise is now liveable with.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Just a guess here, but you change gear from third to fourth with your gear changing palm facing away from you and not towards you?

Guess you saw my mistake on Instagram? Yea I mongol changed it that time. I don’t normally change gear like that and in my defence I haven’t the slightest idea why either. It was 16.50 and I was tired after a long day. It was a costly mistake.