ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The new tool thread

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Father’s Day is apparently coming up and I need to suggest an inspection lamp and a low entry jack. Ones that aren’t too expensive.

Say £25 for lamp and god knows how much for the jack.

Anyone got any recommendations, thank you please.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure what you are lifting with the jack - but if you can get one of the aluminum race ones assuming you aren't trying to lift big cars all at once. The ali ones are so much better to chuck in a boot, on a shelf, store etc.

Slight issue is that you really don't want to skimp out on the jack. Perhaps ask for a nicer light (cough, red one) and then buy a nice jack yourself.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Not sure what you are lifting with the jack - but if you can get one of the aluminum race ones assuming you aren't trying to lift big cars all at once. The ali ones are so much better to chuck in a boot, on a shelf, store etc.

Slight issue is that you really don't want to skimp out on the jack. Perhaps ask for a nicer light (cough, red one) and then buy a nice jack yourself.
the jack will probably never leave the garage, and I'll mostly use it for lifting my 911 which lifts all one side up from one jacking point (so a fair bit of weight).

Might just ask for a light and some beer and sort a jack out myself.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Decided to treat myself to a new 200 piece set from Halfords. My previous set has lasted me approx 15 years but I've retired it as spares.
IMG_20230512_143217066_MFNR.jpg

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Halfords advance one is not bad at all. Might be worth a look, and decent warranty
Is that the SIP 5 ton one? That would be perfect but a bit over my budget unfortunately. I want one to jack up an e90 and dont want to have to faff about with blocks under the wheels and such.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo

gavinf91

ClioSport Club Member
You can get the Halfords 200 piece socket set and a free screwdriver set for £227.50 with code motoringsave.

Thought that was pretty good.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Seeing as we have a wide range of clever people here I thought I’d ask for help. I have some threaded bar that is M8 that I need to quickly cut down. They’re 130mm and need to be 105mm so I need to chop 25mm off of the end.

Ideally I need to be able to achieve one cut in 4-5 seconds max to make it worth it.

Any suggestions.

Thought I’d solved it with a Milwaukee thread cutter but apparently the dies run out after 1000 cuts and need replacing. I’m just trying to save the thread going into scrap really!

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Seeing as we have a wide range of clever people here I thought I’d ask for help. I have some threaded bar that is M8 that I need to quickly cut down. They’re 130mm and need to be 105mm so I need to chop 25mm off of the end.

Ideally I need to be able to achieve one cut in 4-5 seconds max to make it worth it.

Any suggestions.

Thought I’d solved it with a Milwaukee thread cutter but apparently the dies run out after 1000 cuts and need replacing. I’m just trying to save the thread going into scrap really!
IMG_20230818_101824.jpg

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
The mitre saw I tried and it struggles to hold it still. Even tried it with a big cutting blade in it like an angle grinder one.

I’m thinking of trying to make a tool to go on a mechanical press to literally shear the end off.

There’s 190000 of them to cut 🫣

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
The mitre saw I tried and it struggles to hold it still. Even tried it with a big cutting blade in it like an angle grinder one.

I’m thinking of trying to make a tool to go on a mechanical press to literally shear the end off.

There’s 190000 of them to cut 🫣
Yeah I'd be outsourcing that 10000%