ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

BMW M4; S1000 RR
This morning I'd have agreed. But really, you have a phone on you 24/7 (or i do at least) and I use it more than my TV or PC which both cost.... A lot more.

It's all relative anyway. Plenty of cheaper options- this is the flagship Samsung phone so it was always going to be pricey.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
This morning I'd have agreed. But really, you have a phone on you 24/7 (or i do at least) and I use it more than my TV or PC which both cost.... A lot more.

It's all relative anyway. Plenty of cheaper options- this is the flagship Samsung phone so it was always going to be pricey.
As f**king obvious as that sounds I've never thought of explaining it like that. Whenever someone says "that's a lot of money for a phone" I always end up saying something daft like "well I use it for everything". Suppose most people wouldn't flinch at the thought of spending £700+ on something they watch for a couple of hours each night but then get all tense about spending it on a phone which they'll use for everything all the time because it's so convenient.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Oh I get that you use it all the time, I do with mine, but the handset price of £740 plus whatever your sim costs takes it well over a grand over two years, although the price contracts are at now, you'd probably pay similar over the time. I just can't bring myself to spend that just on a handset.
Might change my mind when the new Nexus comes out though...

BMW M4; S1000 RR
699 from CPW for what it's worth. Free GearVR, although that'll end up in a drawer never to be used.

I paid £1200 over 2 years for my iPhone 4.... This will actually be cheaper.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
For what it's worth the Note7 is the pinnacle for now by the looks of it.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Picked my Note 7 up this afternoon from Carphone and liking it so far. Not played with the free VR stuff yet but that'll be later.

The wee man really likes the S Pen and I'll admit it is very good.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Got my Note 7 too. Bought it SIM free though so didn't get a GearVR. Would be annoyed, but honestly I know I'd try it once and throw it in a drawer. When I can be bothered to try VR I'll get a proper headset.

The phone is nice. I've never had an Android phone so this is long overdue, but the Samsung oozes quality and all of the Apple features I thought I'd miss are here (plus lots more).

One small gripe so far, is the iris scanner. It works phenomenally quickly, but starting the phone with the power button doesn't activate the iris scanner. You have to then either swipe on the screen, or use the finger print reader. I'd like to be able to press the power button and have it unlock with the iris scanner.

The screen : size ratio is very, very impressive.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
I'm tempted to buy it outright eventually. I upgraded to the s7 and give it the Mrs. Because there was nothing wrong with my note 4. It looks awesome

Prong

ClioSport Club Member
Mrs got a Note 7 yesterday and it's already gone faulty. she's just had a phonecall from carphone warehouse to say they've all been recalled because the batteries have been blowing up!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Mrs got a Note 7 yesterday and it's already gone faulty. she's just had a phonecall from carphone warehouse to say they've all been recalled because the batteries have been blowing up!
There hasn't been a recall.

Mine went schizo yesterday, rebooted about 20 times over the course of the morning. Was doing my head in, CPW said they can't replace the phone as it's not been released yet.... lol.

Anyway, a friend of mine that is an expert on phones etc said to try resetting it. Held down the volume up, home and power buttons until it went into the recovery mode. Did a factory wipe and cache reset.

Took a while to reboot that time, but it's been fine since. I'm loving it tbh. As an iOS disciple for the past 5 years it's very refreshing. The Note 7 is a very pretty phone too.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Yup. Global recall for all Note 7 handsets. Not good tbh.

Will have ro wait and see how they manage the recall as taking the device off a lot of owners will obviously leave them without a mobile.

Apparently it'll take them 2 weeks to get the pieces in place to make the changes. Apparently there are Chinese and Korean batteries in the phone with issues arising from the Korean ones.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So CPW will be contacting us once they have the replacements in stock to replace the handset.

Contract people will also receive a £50 gift card as inconvenience payment.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
So CPW will be contacting us once they have the replacements in stock to replace the handset.

Contract people will also receive a £50 gift card as inconvenience payment.

Cool I guess? lol

Seems a bit shitty that they'd only give inconvenience payments to contract people though.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Meh, won't stop me keeping the phone.

If it's just a bad battery then it just means making new phones with the good battery and you're golden. Not like a guff CPU or a chassis that bends if you sit on it.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
How the f**k do things like this not get caught in qc?
Doesn't seem that hard does it. That said, 35 reported cases out of however many thousand units isn't a big percentage at all. And they could be in certain scenarios too (i.e. a certain type of charger).

Who knows. The reports are always vague enough that trigger my click bait/troll alert but with Samsung's statement they must be genuine enough to be a problem.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Of the 35 cases reportes only 24 confirmed so not as big as it sounds. 2.5 million is the units made. Only 1 million sold.

Still 24 out of a million isn't a bad failure rate in my view.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Needs pretty prompt action though.

24 out of 1m failing to boot up or with flickering screens is no real issue.

24 out of 1m spontaneously combusting and burning babies to death is a bit different.

I was a bit tempted by one of these but will wait a while...I'm still more than happy with my Nexus 6P...but the Note 7 got me thinking.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Always great to get the issues out the way first. Most sensible iPhone owners do the same!

I get mind end of September so may be a tad later depending on availability.

I believe it is the case that the battery is contained within that is the problem and it's the part that Samsung didn't make.

I honesty couldn't part with my Note 4 for anything currently on the market so just went sim only with unlimited - unlimited - 4gb & £40 cash back (check) for £18 a month on 02.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Well I will never be using CPW again. They've been a horrible company for me to deal with.

I'm returning the Note as it just degrades slowly over the course of a couple of days after a full reset to the point it's unusable. Seems to be a combination of hardware/software. Only Samsung's own (s**t) Exynos chips seem to be affected, but as soon as you (manage to) do a full reboot it starts working fine again.

Symtoms:

Random crashing of the phone.
Will not restart easily (took about 30 minutes of rebooting to come back on each time it crashed today)
Recovery mode not available whilst it's in its crashing cycle.

Once it finally stopped shitting itself it turned back on and I made it to the settings menu, then it crashed again for another 20 minutes :D

After that it turned on and stayed on. I'd had enough at this point so wanted to return it, but not with all my personal data on it. So went to settings and did a factory reset. It did it. From then on the phone booted swiftly and I tried restarting it a couple of times and it did so first time every time. Recovery mode also worked first time twice in a row.

I know you might be thinking "Oh you've loaded it full of s**t and you're surprised it's having a hard time???". Well I've gone through the factory restore option twice now, and the only apps I've installed are: Whatsapp, Google Messenger, Google Duo, Waze, AMEX and Barclays banking apps. That's it... It was fine for a day and a half the first time I did it, but like I said it just degraded slowly but surely.

I would personally not recommend buying one for a few weeks just to see if anything is done about the crashing issues (others seem to be experiencing it too). In all fairness I think mine is defective, but it doesn't say much for Samsung's testing or quality control.

Hope that helps anyone. Other than that, the phone is indeed gorgeous. I'm going to wait and see what the new Google Pixel phones have to offer and if they don't tickle my fancy I'll just get an iPhone 7 as I have used iOS for 5 years now and whilst it's not without its faults, at least when things do go wrong Apple put it right quickly.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Have you gone in to a Samsung experience store rather than CPW? CPW would be the same with an apple product, it's just people normally go direct which you can do with Samsung too.

I've had my note 4 years now without any issues.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Have you gone in to a Samsung experience store rather than CPW? CPW would be the same with an apple product, it's just people normally go direct which you can do with Samsung too.

I've had my note 4 years now without any issues.

I see what you're getting at, but I think the issues are separate. CPW are, in general, muppets. And the Samsung phone I have is duff.

If I wanted a replacement then I imagine a Samsung store could help, but I don't trust it based on the talk online about the crashing and bootlooping. Just screams poor QC more than anything, which for a £700 phone, would be the reason I didn't end up getting another.

Sent it back today by post, will let Amex take care of my refund if I get any trouble from here.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I must be one of the lucky ones then (Touches wood). Mt Note 7 has been perfect since day one. Battery life for the first couple of days was poor but can easily get 2 days out of a charge now (Same as my old iPhone). Love the fast charge feature also. Battery goes from 1% to 100% in 75 mins.

I'll be taking Samsung up on the recall replacement (More for piece of mind) for sure.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I must be one of the lucky ones then (Touches wood). Mt Note 7 has been perfect since day one. Battery life for the first couple of days was poor but can easily get 2 days out of a charge now (Same as my old iPhone). Love the fast charge feature also. Battery goes from 1% to 100% in 75 mins.

I'll be taking Samsung up on the recall replacement (More for piece of mind) for sure.

My friend pre-ordered one too and hasn't had any issues. He said the Phone app has crashed a couple of times but nothing like the issues I had.