ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
They have the details up now on Vodafone website. Phone is cheap on contract but monthly cost isn't as good as I hoped. :( CPW is better sadly.

Fiesta ST-2
Vodafone tariffs are shocking compared to that deal on mobiles.co.uk on O2. £28 a month with £99 down.

Can't see the deal on the website anymore, but the link I copied previously still works, valid until 27th October. Going to have to make my mind up quickly...

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST-2
Yeah that's why I'm tempted, it's not going to get any cheaper than that. Just checked and It's more like £6 a month, using the rrp of £625 for the handset.

24 x £28 + £99 for handset = £771

£146 / 24 months = £6.08 per month

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
My tarriff, 4Gb of data on 4G, local speeds of 20dw/l and 8-10up/l (checked) through, voda, I hate other networks.

Wow I was expecting more difference in specs, there's hardly any!

The Note3 must be newer than I thought.

edit: Just gone through it roughly and read the final comments - doesn't particularly stand out that much in the review?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
As i've said before, i don't understand the furore surrounding this phone. Its not the crazy spec powerhouse everyone thinks it is.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

edit: Just gone through it roughly and read the final comments - doesn't particularly stand out that much in the review?

Are you joking? Just about everything is better to the note 3.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
As i've said before, i don't understand the furore surrounding this phone. Its not the crazy spec powerhouse everyone thinks it is.
Much the same can be said for an iphone. Or any phone nowadays tbh.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member

I'd be careful saying that in here lol.

Stereo speakers = no
water resistant = no

Fairly minor upgrade from the Note 3 tbh.

Are you joking? Just about everything is better to the note 3.
It is yes, but it's not that much compared to what I'd be led to believe it would be tbh.

RAM is the same, battery size is the same, screen resolution is already past viewable PPI (so no gain), CPU is better but unlikely noticable. Storage is downsized (can't get 64gb).

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The water resistant argument is moot, only 2/3 phones have it.

The speaker i'm not sure why stereo is needed it's not a shoulder boom box!

In regards to the specs... it's top of the line, there are no bigger specs, did you want them to wait another year for the game to move one. 810soc is not out neither are any other vast improvements for phones. 1 average, lukewarm review out of 5/6/7 i've read says a lot to me.

I think you guys are being unduly harsh. The Note 3 seems quite well revered with techies! Hardware has change a lot, it feels immense. iPhone is the same.

Yeah, don't get me wrong - the specs are good and as you say the best out there currently - I just mean in terms of Note 3 -> 4 there's not that much imo.

Maybe it's just me - still looks like a great phone of course :]

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
The water resistant argument is moot, only 2/3 phones have it.

The speaker i'm not sure why stereo is needed it's not a shoulder boom box!

In regards to the specs... it's top of the line, there are no bigger specs, did you want them to wait another year for the game to move one. 810soc is not out neither are any other vast improvements for phones. 1 average, lukewarm review out of 5/6/7 i've read says a lot to me.

I think you guys are being unduly harsh. The Note 3 seems quite well revered with techies! Hardware has change a lot, it feels immense. iPhone is the same.

Nexus 6 is water resistant - and a direct market competitor. Stereo speakers is not about boom box audio, but a single speaker on the back of the phone is always going to be weak in comparison.

These are just simple features that would help make it more of a step up from the Note 3. No denying it's a great phone regardless.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
A K1 equipped phone would be the thing to do especially with Lollypop. Battery life would probably suck balls.
Given the choice id rather have a N6 as at least the OS would look pretty.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
A K1 equipped phone would be the thing to do especially with Lollypop. Battery life would probably suck balls.
Given the choice id rather have a N6 as at least the OS would look pretty.
I'm still torn - but like previous Nexus devices, being able to root without unlocking the bootloader and voiding the warranty is very tempting.

Not sure I can go from 2.5 years of rooted android to stock Touchwiz.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I don't blame you either.

In regards to battery it's not the same size it's bigger. With the added specs elsewhere and tweaked OS it will last longer on average over the Note3. The screen is also optimised, it's an improved amoled screen so not a direct port to be fair to the phone.

Add in fast charging, extra pen features etc etc etc etc etc etc. Bare specs are never going to change that much although they have all improved. Fact is it's still on par with every other flagship phone it's competing against taking TW out the equation for a second. The table shown doesn't delve deep into each spec.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I don't blame you either.

In regards to battery it's not the same size it's bigger. With the added specs elsewhere and tweaked OS it will last longer on average over the Note3. The screen is also optimised, it's an improved amoled screen so not a direct port to be fair to the phone.

Add in fast charging, extra pen features etc etc etc etc etc etc. Bare specs are never going to change that much although they have all improved. Fact is it's still on par with every other flagship phone it's competing against taking TW out the equation for a second. The table shown doesn't delve deep into each spec.

20mah isn't going to make a difference. You can see from the tests it doesn't really have an impact.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I would agree but new 805/Cpu etc and tweaked TW will improve battery life whilst screen kills it. ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Tests with Lollipop show massively improved battery life so hopefully Samsung will be quick on the uptake with it

They are usually pretty good, but if you handset needs to undergo carrier testing to get its build then its 2015 for you*

*i hope i'm wrong.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Been posting in the Nexus Player thread. The store went down to just Chrome and Nest devices. Then also lost accessories.

Then came back with Nexus 9 pre-orders and Nexus 5, then accessories. Can pre-order the Player but it's saying "not available in your country". Gutted.

I imagine it's not the Nexus 6 on their store, as it's not even showing as BUY on www.google.com/nexus like the other devices do. And that's an international site, not UK specific.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Hilarity in my local vodafone shop. Went in to ask about my trade in. The usually knowledgable guy wasn't there, guy I spoke to looked at me like I was a mong when I mentioned the Note 4 and when it would be in stock and why they didn't have a display model of some kind...

Off he goes and asks the manager. No further forward. "It only came out on Friday" was the excuse, yeah quite mate!

Walk out the shop, see big display in the window advertising the Alpha... what phone do they have plugged in and on display below the advert? The new Note 4 in Black! Utter utter mongos! Mind boggling that they manage to tie their shoe laces!

A lovely worded email off to Vodafone soon. Might just give CPW my business, they had a nice Black one on display to mess around with.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
When I went in on friday they had none on display or any advertisment for it. Guy wouldn't do a deal so I ended up phoning them instead and mines gets deliverd tommorow in black

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I just wanted to check out the bezels in charcoal as I actually like white on my iPhone but i'll go black also.

Pics when you get it! ;)

Just got an OPO invite, gonna stick it on eBay to see if there's any biters (just to recoup the cost I paid for buying mine), if there's no biters give me a shout and you can have it - I got it at 1pm today, so it HAS to be used before 1pm tomorrow or it will expire (I will post it up tomorrow at midday if it doesn't go before then).