ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
I've just finished setting up my note 9. Tis very good. still playing about with it. Even though it's bigger than my note 4 it doesn't feel it. It's better built odviously and has a nice feel to it.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I’m due an upgrade in a months time and I’m tempted to go back to android again this time.

I’m going to wait and see what the Pixel 3 is like and if it’s a decent improvement on the 2 then I’ll probably go with that. If not that I might look at the P20 Pro.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I've just swapped from an iPhone 6S to a Samsung Galaxy S9+. I can safely say I'm not missing my iPhone, absolutely love it. I just need to learn to use it properly.

My S8 is pissing me off just now. Smart unlock never updates my location so doesn't work at my house and no matter what I try I can't get WhatsApp notifications to light up the screen

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
I'm loving my note 9. It's pretty fast at everything and the battery lasts a loooooong time. Just waiting for a case to come. Forat time any of my phones have had one.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Looks like I’m going to get the Pixel 3, the XL looks awful..the size of that notch!

FEE76C94-31D5-453D-998F-ABF9ABE80884.png
6219FCAB-E08E-44DE-BA2C-18C3B700CC2C.jpeg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I found android quite hard to adapt to but going back to ios isn't easy. It's an SE too so proper small.

Yeah f**k that. I had an X for my iPhone rental and the keyboard felt tiny. I suspect a Plus sized phone would be better but the main thing is I don't want to spend £1500 on a phone/watch when mine has a better camera and still has another year of (albeit painful) warranty.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If not that I might look at the P20 Pro.

The Huawei Honor Play has just been announced, runs alot of the hardware from the P20 Pro but they've added a SD slot and the headphone jack which are missing from the P20.
It doesn't have the trick camera that the P20 does.

It's priced at £279, considering the P20 Pro is near 700 quid it's quite a big difference.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Is the S9 a good phone?

I'm still using a Nexus 6, the Motorola one, not the 6P, so it's about 3 years old now, and when I've done comparisons I was surprised by how well it still stacked up against some of the modern phones, so I only really wanna change if it's to something better.

Like compared to the cheaper Honor and Huewai phones, it was still better in terms of pixel density and RAM etc.

The S9 and the P20 Pro are both currently available on good offers, I don't want to spend more than about £25 a month max. The thing is, I'm apprehensive to move away from the pure Android experience; I'd prefer to get the Pixel 2 XL, but there's no good offers, and when the Pixel 3 comes out all the deals will be expensive monthly because it'll probably be a thousand pound phone.

Which would you go with? How bloated are they?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone?

Thinking maybe pay a bit more upfront, and go £175 + £23 a month for the S9 plus. I don't really wanna go to a smaller screen than my Nexus, or a smaller battery.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't go with Samsung again tbh. Pretty bloated still (Note8) and I got rid after a month or so. Hated the curved screen too.

can you get a one plus for that money?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
In classic CS fashion, I asked for your advice, and ignored it and got it anyway. ?

One big thing for me was having a 3.5mm jack, plus it just represented the best value for money in terms of the value of the phone and the price of the contract over all.

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Not keen on spending the sort of money needed to get into a new high end Apple phone, crazy money for similar specs others offer on Android for a much better deal. The final push being looking at the spec of the xr for the price is a joke. Huawei is now #2 in global smart phone sales above you know who.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Not keen on spending the sort of money needed to get into a new high end Apple phone, crazy money for similar specs others offer on Android for a much better deal. The final push being looking at the spec of the xr for the price is a joke. Huawei is now #2 in global smart phone sales above you know who.
Won't be long before they're number 1!

I fuckin love my P20

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Really like the look of the P20 Lite, Might get it for the Missus as her iphone is destroyed and I've not long bought a cheap new phone.

Picked up a Xiaomi Mi 8, I suspect there's none in here, but it's great so far :)

Similar specs to the usual - Snapdragon 845, 8gb ram, 128gb storage. Super AMOLED screen, and camera score gets better than S9+! What's the difference then? Well, around 1/3 of the price of the S9+.

Absolutely no complaints yet, aside from the fact my alarm app was not set to allow notifications, which caught me out twice (this morning and last week), but that's sorted now lol.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
f**k me EE shops are horrendous...

All the staff just text all day...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Listerine & Poledo
f**k me EE shops are horrendous...

All the staff just text all day...

Mobile retail isn't a fun game.

If it's not someone coming in to moan that their 19 month old phone has shat itself and it's YOUR FAULT!
then it's people coming in with prices from obscure internet firms that they want you to match. Because they want a shop-front service but not sop-front prices.

Oh, and that customer who's been asking questions for the last 1/2 hour about some phone package...yeah, they just turn around and order it online anyway.

So there's very little incentive to give too many s***s. It's not like the early 00's where there was plenty of coin to be made either.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Glad people are enjoying their P20's. My contract's just ran out on my S7 and I'd keep it if it wasn't all cracked.

Was looking at the P20 as it seems like the best phone around at the moment for the money.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Seems odd that shops like this exist. I haven't spoken to someone in a store for years.......

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
I always use a store as I have friends and family discount and they seem to get it sorted better

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
So there's very little incentive to give too many s***s. It's not like the early 00's where there was plenty of coin to be made either.

Probably f**k-all commission in the pay structure as well, just ends up like Currys/PC World. No money, no incentive.

To be fair there isn't a massive need for phone shops on the high street anymore, you can't try the handset out because they're all plastic fakes and they can't get you any better deal that you can already get on their website sat in the comfort of your own home.

Even when you've got a problem they just phone customer services from the store.

Listerine & Poledo
Probably f**k-all commission in the pay structure as well, just ends up like Currys/PC World. No money, no incentive.

To be fair there isn't a massive need for phone shops on the high street anymore, you can't try the handset out because they're all plastic fakes and they can't get you any better deal that you can already get on their website sat in the comfort of your own home.

Even when you've got a problem they just phone customer services from the store.
Exactly all of that.

The customer service calls are all because stores will have their hands tied by head office. Taking in a return of faulty goods comes with a risk of "no fault found", and then the store will take the penalty on that, which in several cases will make a direct impact on their pay slips.

People didn't want to pay for a service 10 years ago though, let alone now.

Quite happy to buy the cheapest option from a website, but then demand face-to-face, red-carpet service from a shop they've never seen before.

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
I prefer stock android over skinned android. I'm still using an iPhone 6s but its only for the love of my apple watch that I haven't moved to android.

Really like the P20 pro camera. Mate has one but I hate EMUI.

The new One plus 6T looks good.

I'm back on Android now after a couple of years with an iPhone 6. I ended up buying a Motorola G6 which is better than my iPhone in every way except I don't rate the camera as the shutter lag is shockingly bad.

Otherwise, I'm blown away how good this phone is. It's nice that's it's running mostly stock Android 8 too!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm back on Android now after a couple of years with an iPhone 6. I ended up buying a Motorola G6 which is better than my iPhone in every way except I don't rate the camera as the shutter lag is shockingly bad.

Otherwise, I'm blown away how good this phone is. It's nice that's it's running mostly stock Android 8 too!

Mad isn’t it that the difference between a £200 phone and a £1000 phone is basically the camera.

Mad isn’t it that the difference between a £200 phone and a £1000 phone is basically the camera.

Yeah I think there are some bargains to be had when buying smartphones these days. If you're not fussed about a fancy camera on your phone, you can save a huge amount of money.

My G6 has an IPS 5.7" screen
Gorilla Glass 3 (I've already tested this when it slipped out my pocket the day I bought it and landed on concrete. There's not a single mark on it!)
Octa Core processor
3GB RAM (I never use more than 1.5GB according to my phone, so there's plenty spare)

Many of the midrange Android handsets make iPhones look poor value for money in my opinion.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yeah I think there are some bargains to be had when buying smartphones these days. If you're not fussed about a fancy camera on your phone, you can save a huge amount of money.

My G6 has an IPS 5.7" screen
Gorilla Glass 3 (I've already tested this when it slipped out my pocket the day I bought it and landed on concrete. There's not a single mark on it!)
Octa Core processor
3GB RAM (I never use more than 1.5GB according to my phone, so there's plenty spare)

Many of the midrange Android handsets make iPhones look poor value for money in my opinion.

Hmm depends. iPhone have the phone build quality and support model. That is absolutely worth something.

Then there’s a camera, iPhones don’t have s**t cameras so comparing them with Motorola’s isn’t fair.

If you just want a phone you can throw about and not care what happens then there’s no beating the Moto G series IMO (I used to have the G4)