ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Got my replacement Pixel today. Whilst I concede there are things Apple does better:

- The chassis, whilst a bit heavy, is lovely to look at
- The screen is insanely good (especially compared to Pixel XL)
- The watch is amazing
- Love some of the UI things like 'phone stays awake as long as you're holding it'
- Face ID is very good (thought I'd think it was s**t - animojis are the bomb)

There are actually fewer good reasons that I like Android more, they're just more important.

- The keyboard. End comparison. The keyboard is the main input device to the phone, and the fact it's so bad on iOS is what kills it for me, I thought I'd get used to it but having no numbers on password entry keyboard, no comma in the bottom left when normally typing, dire auto correct are just things I can't get over.
- The camera is better, no denying that but it's not night and day.

If Apple fixed the keyboard, I would definitely get an iPhone as it's the watch I really want. Maybe Google's Pixel Watch will be good. Sadly I doubt it though.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Not sure what to do for my next phone. Currently on a Pixel XL which will be 2 years old when the 3 comes out in October.

The only one I've considered up to now is the Huawei P20 Pro.

Won't be a Samsung that's for sure.

Wait for the Pixel 3 do you think?
Pixel 2 XL? Some awesome deals and best camera on the market really.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Missus picked up her P20 Pro last week. Pretty awesome deal on O2... £120 with £100 off promotion, free FreeBuds (wireless earphones worth £150) and double data. She's considering selling the earphones so basically has been paid £130 to have the phone lol.

In terms of comparing to my iPhone X: The screen seems much better on my iPhone, in terms of blue shift and viewing angles. The notch doesn't bother me at all but obviously you have the option to 'turn it off' on the P20 and I must say I prefer it like that! So it's sure nice to have the option.

I kind of sold her the ides of getting the phone on terms of how good the camera was, and it is great. Certainly with outdoor photos the colour range is simply superb. Less natural? Maybe, but I think it looks better so who cares right? One thing that is slightly disappointing though it Portrait Mode (which we use a lot because we have a toddler!) you really can't compare it to the iPhone, it's just in another league.

Would love to have a go on a Pixel to compare. Has everyone seen the Pixel 3 leaks though? Damn it looks terrible :(

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Got my replacement Pixel today. Whilst I concede there are things Apple does better:

- The chassis, whilst a bit heavy, is lovely to look at
- The screen is insanely good (especially compared to Pixel XL)
- The watch is amazing
- Love some of the UI things like 'phone stays awake as long as you're holding it'
- Face ID is very good (thought I'd think it was s**t - animojis are the bomb)

There are actually fewer good reasons that I like Android more, they're just more important.

- The keyboard. End comparison. The keyboard is the main input device to the phone, and the fact it's so bad on iOS is what kills it for me, I thought I'd get used to it but having no numbers on password entry keyboard, no comma in the bottom left when normally typing, dire auto correct are just things I can't get over.
- The camera is better, no denying that but it's not night and day.

If Apple fixed the keyboard, I would definitely get an iPhone as it's the watch I really want. Maybe Google's Pixel Watch will be good. Sadly I doubt it though.

In a brilliant plot twist, my replacement Pixel has a defect. Seems like there isn't enough glue behind the screen so it clicks against it's backing when you touch the top of the screen with any pressure. And the power button feels different (less pronounced so it's actually hard to press).

f**k Google. They can't make phones for toffee, great software, clever algos, but s**t hardware decisions.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Note 9 f**king smashing the video stuff just now. Pixel 2 still best for shots but video is insane!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Lol at terrible. They will f**k something up as they always do but it won't be terrible. It'll arguably be the best Android for 2019.

I was referring to the notch. Have you seen it!? It's terrible...

IMG_20180808_123632_280.jpg

Few more points on the P20 Pro:

The fingerprint scanner is insane... much faster than both Face ID & Touch ID; I'm actually kind of jealous
Call quality isn't great and it actually drops calls quite a lot
Not having tap or raise to wake is kind of annoying

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I was referring to the notch. Have you seen it!? It's terrible...

View attachment 1382027

Few more points on the P20 Pro:

The fingerprint scanner is insane... much faster than both Face ID & Touch ID; I'm actually kind of jealous
Call quality isn't great and it actually drops calls quite a lot
Not having tap or raise to wake is kind of annoying

It's not that different from the iPhone one. I see what you're getting at but that wouldn't be the deal breaker for me. It's the blue shifting screen and generally naff build quality that will put me off.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Urgh I hate that notch thing. Hate it on the iPhone too. Was looking at pixel 2 XL and decide to wait and see the Pixel 3. Now I'm thinking I'll just stick with my S8+ it's only a year old and still does everything I need.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Wait and see if you can turn it 'off' if that's what you prefer.

But yeah, personally I'd just stick with your SG8... I had my last phone for 3 1/2 years and I intend to keep my current one even longer!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
What do you guys use fir phone insurance? The wife has dropped her 2 month old S9 and cracked the screen[emoji30]. In thinking insure and replace in a few months but with who?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
What do you guys use fir phone insurance? The wife has dropped her 2 month old S9 and cracked the screen[emoji30]. In thinking insure and replace in a few months but with who?

Do you not have home insurance a lot cover phones nowadays.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Did you literally just admit to intent to fraud on a f**king public internet forum! FFS dude!

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Sold my iPhone last month in preparation for the new ones come next month, currently rocking a Samsung A8 2018. No mater how many times I try I just can't gel with Android. I can't wait to have an iPhone back already.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Sold my iPhone last month in preparation for the new ones come next month, currently rocking a Samsung A8 2018. No mater how many times I try I just can't gel with Android. I can't wait to have an iPhone back already.
I'm sorry. A Samsung a8 is not an android experience!

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sorry. A Samsung a8 is not an android experience!
Agreed, I've had various over the years, this is just a stop gap, my best was a nexus years back. But in my eyes all the things I don't like about Android will forever stop me spending the money on a phone that may be an Android experience, it's just not for me.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
One thing I absolutely love about Android is not having to use iTunes... God it feels amazing just using a phone as basically a USB drive or something.

Regarding the broken S9, yeah home insurance is probably your best bet. I did that on my old iPhone and it only cost about £50, although did take several weeks!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I still have my Nexus 6, but it feels like time to upgrade because despite the best kernels etc, it's still sluggish with some activities and the battery dies at about 20%.

Do all the modern phones with touch ID force you to use it? I've never had a lock on any of my phones and I don't want one going forward...

Not having to use iTunes is my key reason for going Android over Apple, and that's despite iTunes being my main audio player, the whole syncing thing is annoying, I just wanna drag and drop and delete.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
How old is your 6 @Jack! ?
I had the battery replaced by Huwai under warranty (-2 years) as it was doing the same as yours. Was brilliant after that.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
My 6 is probably 3 years old. I had a 24 month contract, then when it expired I just went SIM only as phone development seems to have pretty much stalled, and I didn't wanna pay £30+ a month for a bit more speed and a better screen, when I could pay £10.

I am coming round to the idea of going with the Spotify and data route for music though, rather than downloading, hence I'm considering changing. Vodafone do a deal where you get Spotify and 20GB, but they don't do the Pixel, which is the phone I want because I like pure android.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I still have my Nexus 6, but it feels like time to upgrade because despite the best kernels etc, it's still sluggish with some activities and the battery dies at about 20%.

Do all the modern phones with touch ID force you to use it? I've never had a lock on any of my phones and I don't want one going forward...

Not having to use iTunes is my key reason for going Android over Apple, and that's despite iTunes being my main audio player, the whole syncing thing is annoying, I just wanna drag and drop and delete.

Nope you don’t have to use Touch ID it is handy for various apps that require a login tho.
If you have none apple music you want to sync from ITunes just turn on WiFi syncing and it will do it automatically.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
All my music in iTunes is using iTunes Server from my Synology NAS, rather than having the tracks in my actual library, so it would probably complicate things more.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
I've not used iTunes in a long long time, all my existing music was synced to Apple servers and I then used Apple music, just download and delete from the phone when required. Backups auto backup to Apple too, iTunes really isn't needed anymore. Bar something stupid like a ringtone before it's mentioned [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
My battery is ruined on my 6P since I installed the latest security updates the other day
Screenshot_20180822-094242.png

It's gone really sluggish aswell now which is pissing me off a treat!

I do have a new battery to stick in when I can be arsed. Need to do it as I'm hoping it fixes my issues because I can't be arsed spending 30-40 quid a month on a new phone

BMW M4; S1000 RR
My 6 is probably 3 years old. I had a 24 month contract, then when it expired I just went SIM only as phone development seems to have pretty much stalled, and I didn't wanna pay £30+ a month for a bit more speed and a better screen, when I could pay £10.

I am coming round to the idea of going with the Spotify and data route for music though, rather than downloading, hence I'm considering changing. Vodafone do a deal where you get Spotify and 20GB, but they don't do the Pixel, which is the phone I want because I like pure android.

20GB is overkill for music streaming honestly.

Just buy the Pixel from Google directly. Anywhere else and the warranty process (if you need to use it) is dire.

Also, get Google Play Music or even YouTube premium as it's only £2 extra (if you watch YouTube). Much better than Spotify.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
20GB is overkill for music streaming honestly.

Just buy the Pixel from Google directly. Anywhere else and the warranty process (if you need to use it) is dire.

Also, get Google Play Music or even YouTube premium as it's only £2 extra (if you watch YouTube). Much better than Spotify.

Huewi have a decent warranty process...
I sent the 6p back twice and both times I had the prepaid package ready to send within a few days of speaking to them. The phone was returned within a week both times.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Huewi have a decent warranty process...
I sent the 6p back twice and both times I had the prepaid package ready to send within a few days of speaking to them. The phone was returned within a week both times.

That's nice but Huewi don't do Pixel warranty claims...

And you think sending your device back before receiving the replacement is good?

That's what Google make you do if you buy it anywhere other than the playstore and it's a PITA.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
That's nice but Huewi don't do Pixel warranty claims...

And you think sending your device back before receiving the replacement is good?

That's what Google make you do if you buy it anywhere other than the playstore and it's a PITA.
No, but they do the P20pro what id be looking at now tbh.

Do Google send you a replacement first? Not heard of anyone doing that tbh.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
No, but they do the P20pro what id be looking at now tbh.

Do Google send you a replacement first? Not heard of anyone doing that tbh.

If you buy from Google then yes. It's how decent RMA is done IMO. It's probably one of the best things about buying an iPhone (in that you know if you get an issue, wherever you bought it, you can go to Apple and they'll sort you out. Even if it means handset replacement they sort it there and then)