ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
It's worth noting mate that Google drive won't actually reduce the file size on 99% of phone photos. The photos are only reduced if they're above 16MP. Videos above 1080p. So unless you're taking photos with a proper camera or 4K video or anything you're as well just using that option for photo backup as it's unlimited free space!

Yeah saw that mentioned but decided to go with original quality maybe once I hit the 115gb limit I'll reduce the quality of most the images and stick with the free option.

I had this setting on my iphone which is why I had to do it through icloud on my laptop.

ff23a36963053ff6d33b9585d4d80a1e.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I film in 4k even though I watch on 2k... I just like at it's highest setting. At least MP size has come down on phones! Stupid 21 and 18mp cameras! Useless!

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
Waiting for the note announcement to decide on my next phone. Currently got an s6 edge + but it's soon time to change

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It has a smaller battery on capacity but I still think people are making too big a deal about it. Software. SAD chip etc all make a massive difference. It's not a 3300 in a note 4. My missus still can't drain her s8+ before the end of the day and she's heavy on it.

Cameras are a massive difference and the s pen isn't a small thing, it's like the biggest difference. If you have no use for the pen then you wouldn't really buy one anyway surely?

Oh and 6gb of ram.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I thought they would've went to 3500mah with the battery given its a bigger phone and they probably had the capacity to do so. Would've made for probably the best battery life out there just now and seems a wasted opportunity. CPU is also the same as the S8/S8+ as far as I can see.

The camera is good but seems a little late to the party. It's almost as if they just held the tech back from the S8/S8+ because they needed to differentiate the Note 8. S pen I can understand is a great addition though. I have the Galaxy Tab S3 and I love the S pen with that. I pretty much stopped writing in notebooks because I could use that instead for uni work and other things.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The camera is ahead of the game really, dual OIS is a first. The comparisons to Apple were night and day. In fairness the S8 showed the iPhone up with ois. I'd have preferred mono sensor to telephoto but it's a clever system.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It has a smaller battery on capacity but I still think people are making too big a deal about it. Software. SAD chip etc all make a massive difference. It's not a 3300 in a note 4. My missus still can't drain her s8+ before the end of the day and she's heavy on it.

Cameras are a massive difference and the s pen isn't a small thing, it's like the biggest difference. If you have no use for the pen then you wouldn't really buy one anyway surely?

Oh and 6gb of ram.
6gb? Ghey

Sammy should have skipped the S8+ to be fair and kept the Note as the "big" phone.

There is nothing to differentiate between the 2 now except the pen. Also, with near enough the same internals as the S8+ if you ain't going to use the pen, you might aswell go for that as it's much cheaper.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
There are multiple differences! Multiple. Go watch a video on it. Fan boi or not spouting the same nonsense is getting silly.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Oh and ordered this morning, black obviously. 8gb data. Good deal as I was simply only for last 12 months.

Free dex set up and wireless charger. Need to order a new 2017 gear VR as it doesn't fit the others.

d493a5f4d1374b055d6fa558c5e33519.jpg
b356b708a430e2db49bb6b789aea5c5c.jpg

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's the most in any flagship phone outside China and poor back up phones.
The oneplus has 8gb (Chinese, but not sure why that's an issue). It's stupidly quick. Ordered one to use/sell while my s8 has have a faulty display sorted. Sold the s8, things like android auto are so much smoother and quicker.

But, I don't think there's much point in a discussion. You're a die hard note fan, and even them exploding didn't put you off 😂

Enjoy the new one squire.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I saw there was a hefty price cut for note 7 users which is pretty good for those that got screwed with that phone I guess.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I saw there was a hefty price cut for note 7 users which is pretty good for those that got screwed with that phone I guess.

Where did you see this? I had a Note 7 (plus replacement) so interested to see if this holds true.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Always wondered how they figured that out unless with the same carrier etc?

Got quite a few accessories to order for this one. Reckon I'll case it from work as I use s note a lot!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
For anyone concerned about battery which I still don't understand. This video blows the worry out the water.

I reckon slimmed and optimised OS and also 6gb of ram is helping. Nearly 7 hours of work with a med to heavy useage is nothing short of phenomenal imo.

I'm counting down the days!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Another battery video. Couple of months old iPhone and so plus versus note 8.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
A lot of shops now have a Note 8 on display incase anyone fancied seeing one in the flesh. 3 and CW had them in today. Monster of a thing!

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
Had a look at a note today. Doesn't seem much bigger than an s8 plus. And the note was about the same size as my s6 edge plus.
Think I'm going to get the s8 plus as I'm not sure what the note offers me over the s8 for the extra money. The pen isn't really something I need

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Because apple innit. Everyone I know that bought an android never looked back. So much freedom.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Because apple innit. Everyone I know that bought an android never looked back. So much freedom.

Depends how far into the apple ecosystem you are. If you use apple music, itunes, have an apple tv, iPad and Mac of some description then you're going to find tonnes of things not to like about android.

Luckily I got out and never looked back before getting sucked in too far. Every now and again I do consider a move back, but nothing is good enough to tempt me so far and then they removed the headphone jack and I decided that I'll never move lol.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Android fanboys slagging off apple again trying to justify their decision, do android have a live launch day that millions of people watch? No, because no one cares about your phones. In the same way no one cares what make your washing machine is.

Everyone I know who went back to Android come back to apple lol. Myself included, you might have more "freedom" but for actually using the phone for its core use, IMO nothing beats the iPhone.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Android fanboys slagging off apple again trying to justify their decision, do android have a live launch day that millions of people watch? No, because no one cares about your phones. In the same way no one cares what make your washing machine is.

Everyone I know who went back to Android come back to apple lol. Myself included, you might have more "freedom" but for actually using the phone for its core use, IMO nothing beats the iPhone.

But Android isn't a phone...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Haha!!! Yeah millions definitely didn't watch the Note 8 event... Definitely not! Or the unpacked event.

Apple are amazing. But they decide what you want. They decide what you can use. It's as linear as tech gets.

Anyway we won't debate any further.

Reactions: DrR

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The inventor of Android is bringing out a phone.
Will there be a keynote on it? Possibly. Will I watch it? Not a chance. I've got better things to do than watch someone reveal a phone and the things it can do.

As for people going back to Apple from Android. I know a few that have gone to Android and haven't gone back but like said above, if you've invested (quite probably thousands) in Apple for your house then you won't want to go to Android and that's where Apple have you by the balls.

As for it being the best phone for its core use, then I'm pretty sure a Nokia 5110 beats them all hands down. Apple and android phones manage to call, text and browse the internet all the same.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I'm fairly objective when it comes to phones rather than blindly buying one or the other, although I'm kind of invested in the Apple side now with iPad, Mac etc.

That said, I know 3 people who've always owned iPhones that have been out and bought an S8 since the keynote because of Apple's enthusiastic pricing.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I just love tech. I have 3 ipads in my house and my daughter actually has a "spare" mini, I also bought a new one at work aswell but I am happy to slate Apple where they deserve it sometimes. I also slate 100s of Android phones and as a user of iPhones still to this day (my own phone will now be a Note 8) I feel i'm in a great position to comment.

In saying all that it's as everyone else has said, if you're invested they have you by the balls. The crux for me is I don't want to be told what I can do on my own phone, apple decide how you use you're phone. Changes are made via updates when they decide to change something. This might seem a silly comment but we're talking from a deeper pov not changing wallpapers. Let us not forget it wasn't that long ago you couldn't have a song as your ringtone on apple... as gay as that is.