ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Soon mate, soon... :smile: Things are progressing nicely at the moment. We'll soon be at a point where we need to decide what to do in terms of tackling the 'bigger' (and fewer) remaining problems. I'm also hoping to be able to start training and using my arm again soon so I won't feel quite so useless and may even be able to help out on a few things... although Russ is doing such a good job I might just leave him to it! :smile:

I'm assuming 'banger' is a term of endearment in this case, yeah? :tongueout:

Of course it is mate, i love your little pink car. Ill love it even more when i read that you are happy at last. :smiley:

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
It's been a few weeks since the last update, how are your injuries healing, Andy?

Did you get my e-mail? South Central are doing Wales again later this year - do you think le b*****d Rouge will be up for a drive out? Is Russ still working his magic?

53 Clio's & counting
My work has been completed, the T is now off for its next stage :smile:

I expect things may stay quiet for a while, but all is in hand don't worry

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
It's been a few weeks since the last update, how are your injuries healing, Andy?

Did you get my e-mail? South Central are doing Wales again later this year - do you think le b*****d Rouge will be up for a drive out? Is Russ still working his magic?
Hey Tim :) The injuries are healing well thanks mate. The neck is pretty much 100%, albeit in need of regular stretching as it's tightened considerably. It's the shoulder that's causing the problem really as I think I may have damaged it more than first thought. It is repairing but slooooowly. I tried a light set of dumbbell side lateral raises only the other day and couldn't lift 2.5kgs... :( The sad thing is I've lost a stone and a half in weight through not training. *sigh* Oh well, I'm not going to rush things and do more damage.

E-mail? I will need to take a look... it is probably nestling in my Inbox as I haven't checked for a couple or three days (or I may have missed it). Either way, YES - I would very much be interested in joining you once again. Hopefully Le Clio B**tard Rouge will be back by the time your trip rolls around. As Russ says, it is now out of his hands as things move on to the next stage. :) He's done a TOP job and fixed many of the niggles I had. I'll reply to your e-mail in the next day or so my friend :)

Be good to catch up if you can make it Andy :smile:
Absolutely Oli! If I can make it, I'm there. :)

My work has been completed, the T is now off for its next stage :smile:

I expect things may stay quiet for a while, but all is in hand don't worry
Indeed. And - again - I'd like to thank you for all your work, time and help. I can't thank you enough. I'll see you soon and we can have a good chat and discuss what I owe you!

Next stage? I'm curious.

I might tag along on the south central Wales drive. Any excuse for a day out in the mountains!
There's nothing much more to report at the moment mate :) We're just trying to establish a few things and try to get to the bottom of a couple of remaining issues. Suffice to say, all is good and moving along nicely. It may be a short while before I have anything worth posting about but I will update here as soon as I'm able to. As for tagging along... do it mate. I'm sure the guys won't mind and it will be good to see you again.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
March 2015 - Update - Bad News

It's funny how things work out sometimes.
That said, it's time for an update and - I'm sad to say - it's not been good news of late.

Recently, following the work that Russ has kindly done on my car, the Trophy was trailered down to Dan at SJM to give it a look over. As mentioned in my last few updates it's not quite been running right and something has felt amiss. The 18mpg, the lack of torque, the difficulty in driving the car below 3k rpm and the bogging down of the engine at sometimes seemingly random times. Due to the problems the car has been sat idle for the last couple of months or so until it could be looked at. I spoke to Fred (who's a little busy to say the least) and he kindly offered some suggestions as to potential issues and things to look for. As it was at Dan's and was convenient, we were able to carry out a compression/leakdown test and take a quick look at the bores to see if they threw up any indicators as to what might be contributing to the problems.

Unfortunately cylinders 3 and 4 were smoking and some 60-70 psi down on cylinders 1 and 2. The pistons were also rattling like a b!tch in the cylinders (even taking into account the fact they are forged and take some time to warm up). There also appeared to be some marking on the cylinder walls. I spoke to Fred again and, as Dan and Mike were available to take a look, I asked if they would be happy to do so. It was something I didn't want to do but it was stripped down to see what was going on. Ah, the joys of modified cars... LOL!

To cut a long story short the engine has suffered damage; scored cylinders, cams, to name but a few things. The head has also been damaged. The upshot of this is that a new engine is needed. The good news is that the conrods are ok :smile: The piston rings were obviously not in the best shape and neither are the pistons; which are a little oval in shape now as possibly are the bores. I was given the bad news and able to see it for myself and, alas, sh!t happens. Again and again with this car 😧

Sorry the pics aren't too clear but you can see a little scoring on the cams, bores and cam journals; quite a lip on the scoring in places.

20150316_badnews01.jpg

20150316_badnews02.jpg

20150316_badnews03.jpg

20150316_badnews04.jpg

20150316_badnews05.jpg

It's not easy to say how or what went wrong (and I'm certainly not pointing the finger as I fully believe this has been pure bad luck) but it looks like incorrect fuelling may be the culprit; possibly some injection/injector or fuel pump problem. It's a risk you take at the end of the day and sometimes things don't go to plan and such things can't be accounted for 😧

I won't lie... it's upset me more than a bit and it has hit the wallet hard. I'm not going into hard figures but thousands has been spent on this car and it's about time it gave me a break. Maybe one day it will :smile: In the meantime it will be SORN'd and engine-less whilst I decide what to do next. Fred has kindly offered to source and help with parts if needed and Dan and Mike have kindly offered to incur the wrath of the Trophy whilst discussing potential routes to go down next. Obviously I need to spend some time considering things. The Jenvey ITB's and GEN90 ECU (in perfect condition and hardly used) will be sold. The ITB's haven't even seen 4k miles yet and not been used in anger due to the ongoing problems with the car. I will most likely keep the conrods as I've grown attached to them! LOL!

As said, plans are being discussed but it might be a while before Le Clio Bast**d Rouge sets tyre on tarmac again. I'm sure it will, but I've no idea in what shape or form. Regardless, if I do decide to continue then it will effectively be the last throw of the dice with it. If I carry on and have problems then I will cut my (hefty) losses and crush it. Simple as that. But then again maybe it will be 4th time lucky!

As said, I'm not pointing fingers or accusing anyone of anything. I'm purely updating my thread to keep the story of Trophy #165 alive and up-to-date. Those involved with the build have a good reputation and for good reason. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend or use them again; hence I don't want to see any s**t thrown or rumours spread when they are unfounded (I know how good the Interwebz can be for s**t throwing and rumour spreading!)

I just don't know what to do next... but I will say a big "thanks" to those of you who have been following for some time now. I look forward to hopefully bringing you some more news and updates soon and I'll post again in this thread as and when something worth mentioning crops up. Apologies if the thread goes quiet for a little while...

Cheers,
(A somewhat numb and gutted) Andy

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Sorry to hear this fella, I think I'd have been pazt the point of no return pages ago!

You'll know soon enough with a bit of time away if you want to continue with it or not.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
So sad to hear this I cant imagine how you must be feeling now :(
To have a car away for a year to get built and then get it back with running problems, Im dam sure I would not be paying for the rebuild. Was the engine build an mapping done as a package deal or did you take it to two different suppliers ?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Mate im lost for word's, god knows how you must be feeling.
I feel so so sorry for you.

End of the day mate its not your problem, the engine build became a joke and I hope that the problems get sorted with as less hassle and inconvenience to yourself as possible.

Ex 182 owner
That really wasn't the update I was expecting.. So sorry, how much can be saved?
Just throw a standard in there and enjoy the car? can't you imagine you will though going back to square one. Though would a least be able to start enjoying the car everyday. I really don't know how mental your engine build spec was against normal Bolt on itb conversations. That bit extra power really can't be worth all this emotionally, let alone financially.

What about making it handle perfectly on standard engine.
If your in position for spare cash. Get a comedy £2k 182 and throw a £4k turbo conversation on it for s***s and giggles. Knowing when that get tetchy or breaks. Cause you know something like that will at some point, it can just sit till you can be bothered to fix it..
With..
Your lovely trophy is sat there to start the key every time you want it.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Absoloutley gutted for you to be reading that Andy. As you breifly mentioned there I'd get a standard engine head, pistons and inlet etc (assuming the strong bottom end is ok) and get that on and running, retaing the gen 90. I'm sure between everyone on here parts could be sourced cheaply and get you running again mate.

Absolutely gutted for you mate :( I've followed this thread in such depth too!

Really can't imagine how you must be feeling, I felt upset reading it myself.

Bloody s**t french cars!

I don't know much about fueling etc so I'm struggling to understand how it's all happened.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
As discussed on PM bud, awful news. 😧

I have a mustang engine you can have. 😂 x

To those who can't read Andy's post correctly, please respect his wishes and keep this thread free of mud slinging and gossip. I don't want to have to tidy it up.

A crate engine from Renault was one of the suggestions I gave andy, but he has given the hint of "one last horar" so myself and mike are building up a list of parts along with prices for Andy to kind of have a pick 'n mix choice of what he wants to have.

We are at the advantage that we can salvage the supertech valves and arrow rods, for his next build.

We have already made him aware that the build will not take a few days. Stuff like the cylinder head will be linebored to get perfect clearance on the cams will add to the time it takes to build this engine.

Ex 182 owner
Or.. Just stiffen your back, yet again. God knows you clearly have skill in that dept, Andy.
Point at it and shout" you are going to fecking Rev Big you red piss of s**t!"
And build the car of your dreams.

Donor engine to get the car running. Run that for a year. Shake it down to the nth degree.

Then A third donnor engine or what whatever is needed for your current one, haven that built by your builder of choice on a bench.

You have the ITB 's, you have the radiator, you have the ecu. Thats a massive chunk towards a fresh project is it not?

Either way. Standrd for now and drive your nice car for a while.

All the best

Bad news.
I'd echo others in suggesting just throw a std second hand engine in, don't even bother putting cams in, tweak the map and just enjoy it. You'll only be 10bhp down.
I don't think I've known a single high comp build last more than a few months on here. For the gains it is not worth the expense.
Sell the rods and valves.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Gutting to hear Andy, I would've just put a standard engine in it the last time and saved the expense but that's easy to say now.

Hopefully you'll see sense, stick a standard engine in it, give it some abuse over the summer then move on and buy a v6

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hear this fella, I think I'd have been pazt the point of no return pages ago!

You'll know soon enough with a bit of time away if you want to continue with it or not.
Thanks mate. Thankfully I'm a patient guy... but I think my missus deserves a medal having gone through it with me! Thankfully the time away from the car recently has actually helped and I had a bad feeling that something pretty serious was wrong; although I didn't realise to what extent. I will continue with the Trophy for sure; but it won't be a high-comp ITB build. The ITB's and GEN90 ECU are definitely going regardless I'm sad to say.

So sad to hear this I cant imagine how you must be feeling now 😧
To have a car away for a year to get built and then get it back with running problems, Im dam sure I would not be paying for the rebuild. Was the engine build an mapping done as a package deal or did you take it to two different suppliers ?
It's upsetting mate, I won't lie. At the moment I'm almost past the point of caring but I figured one more try, one last go. It will be a lot different to the high-comp, forged NA / ITB build I ideally wanted. As said, I need to decide on what to do next - whether it be standard, whether or not to throw in cams or leave alone. We shall see. Dan and Mike are on the case. The build was from different suppliers but - I'll stress this again - I am not pointing the finger as I don't believe there is any blame to be apportioned; nor will it change anything. It's a risk you take at the end of the day and sadly it's not worked out :(

Mate im lost for word's, god knows how you must be feeling.
I feel so so sorry for you.

End of the day mate its not your problem, the engine build became a joke and I hope that the problems get sorted with as less hassle and inconvenience to yourself as possible.
Cheers Scott. It's not been a great week but I'm reliably informed that worse things happen at sea! But what can you do, eh? Maybe a change of hobby... All I know now is that the Trophy will live on in one shape or another and there will be more updates to come. I'm a glass half full type of guy. Just about. Good luck with the sale of your Clio my friend. I'm sad it's going and truly hope it goes to a deserving owner who will be as meticulous as yourself.

Totally gutting .

I cannot believe just how much bad luck you have had with this car
I'm figuring that a change in luck is just around the next corner. I've got to keep thinking that :)

Think id sell all the parts and put a new crate engine in it keep it pretty standard
That is one of the options that was/is being considered fella. I probably won't in all truth but I'm not discounting the idea.

That really wasn't the update I was expecting.. So sorry, how much can be saved?
Just throw a standard in there and enjoy the car? can't you imagine you will though going back to square one. Though would a least be able to start enjoying the car everyday. I really don't know how mental your engine build spec was against normal Bolt on itb conversations. That bit extra power really can't be worth all this emotionally, let alone financially.

What about making it handle perfectly on standard engine.
If your in position for spare cash. Get a comedy £2k 182 and throw a £4k turbo conversation on it for s***s and giggles. Knowing when that get tetchy or breaks. Cause you know something like that will at some point, it can just sit till you can be bothered to fix it..
With..
Your lovely trophy is sat there to start the key every time you want it.
Tell me about it mate! It wasn't the update I really wanted to be typing up either :) Sadly the damage was a little more extensive than initially thought. In the end it is only the valves and the Arrow conrods that are reusable. I'm fortunate to have the use of the Honda Type-R in the meantime (and I am close enough to work to be able to walk) so I probably won't bother getting a runaround or replacement car in the meantime. I'll just decide on what I want to do and then work with Dan, Mike et al to make it happen.

Absoloutley gutted for you to be reading that Andy. As you breifly mentioned there I'd get a standard engine head, pistons and inlet etc (assuming the strong bottom end is ok) and get that on and running, retaing the gen 90. I'm sure between everyone on here parts could be sourced cheaply and get you running again mate.
Hi Keith. Sadly the bottom end isn't too healthy either :( The whole lot will basically be sourced / replaced one way or another. I am overwhelmed by the support and offers of help (and sympathy!) I've received here. It's been quite touching to be honest! :) In the meantime you'll have to carry the Trophy flag for the both of us :)

Absolutely gutted for you mate 😧 I've followed this thread in such depth too!

Really can't imagine how you must be feeling, I felt upset reading it myself.

Bloody s**t french cars!

I don't know much about fueling etc so I'm struggling to understand how it's all happened.
Thanks mate. S**t happens... I can't really add much more than that really! I don't know how these cars and car modifications can get so far under our skin and then cause such drama when things don't quite work out. They're only lumps of metal rubber and plastic at the end of the day but... well... LOL!

As discussed on PM bud, awful news. 😧

I have a mustang engine you can have. 😂 x

To those who can't read Andy's post correctly, please respect his wishes and keep this thread free of mud slinging and gossip. I don't want to have to tidy it up.
Hahahahaha! Yeah, give me that Mustang engine now! LMAO! :) I'll send an empty palette over soon. Cheers buddy! :)

That's terrible news, i'd just get a bog standard engine put in so you can actually use it this summer.
It's an option Matt. In truth I'll probably just use the Type-R (it will be available more soon as my good lady was made redundant last week!) hence it will be on the driveway whilst she decides on her next job role. I can walk to work so will most likely just leave the Trophy and get it rebuilt / replaced / whatever over the coming weeks and months.

A crate engine from Renault was one of the suggestions I gave andy, but he has given the hint of "one last horar" so myself and mike are building up a list of parts along with prices for Andy to kind of have a pick 'n mix choice of what he wants to have.

We are at the advantage that we can salvage the supertech valves and arrow rods, for his next build.

We have already made him aware that the build will not take a few days. Stuff like the cylinder head will be linebored to get perfect clearance on the cams will add to the time it takes to build this engine.
^ This. A massive thanks to Dan and Mike for kindly (Bravely? Stupidly?!) taking on this cursed car. As Dan says we are currently discussing a plethora (I love that word) of options and then I will decide what to do. The only certainty at the moment is that the ITB's and GEN90 are going and these will hopefully bring in a little bit of money to put towards whatever happens next. Watch this space I guess!

Or.. Just stiffen your back, yet again. God knows you clearly have skill in that dept, Andy.

All the best
Hahahaha, thanks mate! I'm not going to let some poxy French hot-hatch break me... Stiff upper lip, chest out, best foot forward, super sweet and subservient to the Bank of My Good Lady... LOL!

What a shitter, that's awful news. I've pmd you a proposal.
Replied mate - thank you, seriously.

Sorry to hear the bad news.

Really hope it comes back even better than before for you. [emoji106]

Pretty unbelievable the luck you've had with it.... it's got to change at some point? Right?? [emoji5]
Thanks Dan. I look forward to getting it back and hooking up with you sometime for a blast through the valleys and mountains. Just give us a bit more time... hahaha!

Bad news.
I'd echo others in suggesting just throw a std second hand engine in, don't even bother putting cams in, tweak the map and just enjoy it. You'll only be 10bhp down.
I don't think I've known a single high comp build last more than a few months on here. For the gains it is not worth the expense.
Sell the rods and valves.
I hear you and it does make sense, hence it's an option being considered. I've already decided to keep the rods and valves though but definitely no more high-comp or ITB's. Thanks for replying fella.

Gutting to hear Andy, I would've just put a standard engine in it the last time and saved the expense but that's easy to say now.

Hopefully you'll see sense, stick a standard engine in it, give it some abuse over the summer then move on and buy a v6
Hindsight is a wonderful thing indeed! :) And I'm sure I'll have a V6 on the driveway again at some point in the future. Love 'em. In the meantime the Trophy is the focus as I do want it back on the road. Cheers bud.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Gutted for you Andy !! :cry:
you REALLY deserved this to work out after what you have been thru !

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Gutted for you Andy !! :cry:
you REALLY deserved this to work out after what you have been thru !
Cheers bud. What can you do? You have to (eventually) laugh about it otherwise it's enough to make you cry! The T has one more chance. Just the one mind. And then that's it.

This just isn't fair! 😧
Truth be known... I well and truly threw my toys out the pram. My good lady is a saint and how she has put up with me over the last few months I don't know. She'll get an extra rasher or two of bacon in her sarnies tomorrow morning. :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
In all honesty I felt sick having to make the phone call to you asking you to come Over and see it.
Yeah, I know mate. :( Obviously I know you (and Vikki) well now and it was clear you were gutted when calling me over and then laying it out to see. It's not often I see you stuck for words.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
f**king hell if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck. I'm another vote for bang a standard engine in from a donor car, swap the ECU etc over for the key, go out and kick its head in for a year knowing that if it blows up it blows up. If it doesn't then you get to go on all the road trips you have planned in it. Win win in my book.

320d
I'd be sticking a fairly standard lump in it mate. As awesome as the highly modified Clio's are unfortunately they seem to go wrong, a lot.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Gutted for you as i said on the PM.

I'd chuck in a second hand engine and fit the ITBs and Gen90.

It would be a shame to sell the ITBs before you've had the opportunity to enjoy them properly.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I felt sick reading it over my breakfast this morning. :cry::cry:
...which is exactly how I felt when I saw you were selling your car my friend. :cry: I'm confident the T will come out the other side and will set tyre on tarmac. It's not the end of the world. Things can be sourced, fixed, upgraded and/or repaired. :)

Well this sucks! was not expecting that as an update.

Hang in there mate, it will be worth it!
Indeed mate - that's the plan :)

f**king hell if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck. I'm another vote for bang a standard engine in from a donor car, swap the ECU etc over for the key, go out and kick its head in for a year knowing that if it blows up it blows up. If it doesn't then you get to go on all the road trips you have planned in it. Win win in my book.
There's a lot to be said about just dropping in a standard lump and enjoying it... I realise I am lucky insofar that I do have the use of the Type-R hence can get my high-revving NA kicks whilst the T is repaired. In all honesty I'll probably save the pennies and just use the Type-R for now. I don't need the T for commuting or anything like that; it's very much become a 'fun' car due to my close proximity to work. Did I really say 'fun'? LOL! "Cursed" is perhaps a more apt word.

I'd be sticking a fairly standard lump in it mate. As awesome as the highly modified Clio's are unfortunately they seem to go wrong, a lot.
There is always that risk mate and I was fully aware when having the work done. It's just so difficult when you've been bitten by the bug, or already invested so much in a car that you went past that point of no return some time ago :) As I see it I can spend a significant chunk on a whole new - and decent - car (which I don't want to do as I have other things going on that I'm wanting to invest my hard-earned in) or I can spend a chunk less and get the T back on the road in one form or another. I've opted for the latter.

Gutted for you as i said on the PM.

I'd chuck in a second hand engine and fit the ITBs and Gen90.

It would be a shame to sell the ITBs before you've had the opportunity to enjoy them properly.
I hear you mate. I've got to be brutally honest though... I'm pretty much fed up of the ITB's now. They haven't worked out and I don't want to continue down that route any more. As much as I love that NA drive, the noise and the drama they will be sold. I figure I can enjoy the Trophy without resorting to ITB's and reining back in a little bit of money for the setup and ECU will certainly help in getting the T back on the road. :)