ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I've lost my puller too - feck knows where it is but the one time I need it after owning it for 4 years it's gone awol!

53 Clio's & counting
Great little update. It tips like that which just make this site worth the £12 a year. Would never have expected to find that much dirt behind the arch liners. Chris "makes not to self to pull those off one day" and have a look.

Russ any reason those horrible little torx bolts can't be swapped with stainless items? They do make these cars look horrible around those areas.

I can't see why not mate, they are normal torx bolts, which go into a washer behind :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Andy what an epic thread! A real roller-coaster of emotions!
I've been reading this all day at work between actually working :tongueout: and for me, your car and your passion is a real eye opener! In terms of your engine that's exactly how I wan't mine. (Maybe not as much as an ordeal as yours!) but would you recommend the Pure Motorsport top mounts and strut brace? After my timing belt change that was going to be my next mod.
Unless I missed something in this thread I would highly recommend chucking the entire Powerflex range at the Trophy as its improved mine no end! Hope to meet you and the car at a meet in the future, she's a testament to you!
Hi mate, thanks for taking the time to have a read through it. I'm not apologising for interrupting your working day though... :) And thanks for the kind words. To answer your question... yes, I would recommend the PMS top mounts and brace. I really like how the front-end and turn-in feels with this setup. I wish I'd bought the kit earlier to be honest :)

Hi Andy, I still remember reading this thread when I was lurking (before I even joined the forum) a few years ago.
Since then I met you (and Le CBR) at a Black Mountain Run and have also seen the car a couple of times at BTM.

I have to say I'm full of admiration not only for the car but also for your determination.
The car (despite it's latest problems) is a credit to you and this IS without doubt my favourite Clio Build thread on here partly due to the project itself but also due to the fact it's well written and well presented.

I'm really glad you're keeping Le CBR (not that I doubted it for a moment) and I look forward to the next update (when hopefully things start to go your way).
Hi fella, I'm pretty sure I recall meeting you at the Black Mountain Run a while back. :) It's scary how quickly time passes by! Again, thank you for the feedback / kind words regarding the thread. I'm glad you've been able to follow it and enjoyed reading along. There will definitely be more updates on the way soon as these issues are sorted and the Trophy (hopefully) starts to come together. Hopefully catch you at another meet or two somewhere down the line as well :)

Glad to hear your keeping it! I couldn't sell after all this. Once it's finally sorted I'd like to think it'd stay sorted for a while to come with all work that has been done.

Hope it gets sorted soon and hopefully will see you on a road trip through Wales in the summer [emoji41] [emoji106]
Haha, thanks mate! Of course it was never going anywhere... I couldn't get rid of it! Fingers crossed I'll be able to get out and enjoy it soon. As hinted at already, there are a few more niggles to work through but it's only a car at the end of the day and things can be fixed with time, patience and a little hard-earned. And a lot of help from some very good and generous friends.

So just to clarify?! You've not swapped it for a normal clio?
Correct mate! The Trophy will be causing me headaches well into the next decade and beyond :)

So, I took today off work to crack on with a few bits on it, and first job was to get the passenger seat out so I can look at the state of the carpets after the leak.

<snip>

I then had to call it a day for today - it's my Dad's birthday today ,so had to help Claire get the place ready for the roast she cooked, so the Trophy is back in the garage with another dosage of Plus gas on, ready for the weekend to do more bits :smile:
Russ, as I've already said to you mate... I can't thank you enough; for the help you've already provided and the help going forward. I feel pretty useless at the moment (well, most of the time!) and somewhat guilty that Le CBR has been dumped on you. But you've given me a lot of confidence that it will get fixed and sorted! I won't lie, it's been good for me mentally to have it off the drive and out of my sight for a while as it was starting to get me down. So a MASSIVE thanks to you for all you're doing and for the photos/updates (and a massive thanks to those standing by who have also offered their time, help and support). I owe you BIG time. Anything I can do, name it :) But not that. I don't do THAT anymore... eeuw. LOL!

Great little update. It tips like that which just make this site worth the £12 a year. Would never have expected to find that much dirt behind the arch liners. Chris "makes not to self to pull those off one day" and have a look.
It's quite surprising how much gunk and grime can build up, as evidenced in the photos that Russ kindly took!

Good work Russ, just what it needs to finish it off, those little details that make all the difference on a 1*2.
:) I couldn't agree more... even though it's someone else doing the work and I am feeling increasingly guilty as a result!

I've lost my puller too - feck knows where it is but the one time I need it after owning it for 4 years it's gone awol!
That's always the way... it will turn up when you least expect it (and when you don't actually need it).

53 Clio's & counting
Another issue was the link that attaches the jenvey return spring had snapped, and there is a split pin in there at the moment, but I have been onto Jenvey and there is a new pin on it's way to me, so that should be sorted by the weekend, so another thing crossed off the list :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Another issue was the link that attaches the jenvey return spring had snapped, and there is a split pin in there at the moment, but I have been onto Jenvey and there is a new pin on it's way to me, so that should be sorted by the weekend, so another thing crossed off the list :smile:
:up: Thanks Russ!

Another issue was the link that attaches the jenvey return spring had snapped, and there is a split pin in there at the moment, but I have been onto Jenvey and there is a new pin on it's way to me, so that should be sorted by the weekend, so another thing crossed off the list :smile:

I put the split pin in a few months back as a temporary repair lol

53 Clio's & counting
Aaaand look what turned up today!

Fair play to Jenvey, FOC as well :up:

20150129_194537_zpsofwnkvxf.jpg

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I still can't believe how the rest of the mechanism managed to land, and stay, on the gearbox when the pin let go! :) I did actually contact Jenvey a couple of times for a replacement and then didn't chase it up when they hadn't got back to my messages. When more issues cropped up my enthusiasm started to drop for the car and I was getting to the point where I couldn't care less! :(

Aaaand look what turned up today!

Fair play to Jenvey, FOC as well :up:

20150129_194537_zpsofwnkvxf.jpg
Thanks mate, this makes me happy. :)

53 Clio's & counting
I'll fit that at the weekend mate :)

I won't have time to do anything tomorrow night, (as i have someone collecting the rx8) but I will have more updates at the weekend

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'll fit that at the weekend mate :smile:

I won't have time to do anything tomorrow night, (as i have someone collecting the rx8) but I will have more updates at the weekend
:) No worries mate, I'm just grateful for your time and know-how; so please don't bend over backwards on my behalf and fit it in as is convenient for you x

I still can't believe how the rest of the mechanism managed to land, and stay, on the gearbox when the pin let go! :smile: I did actually contact Jenvey a couple of times for a replacement and then didn't chase it up when they hadn't got back to my messages. When more issues cropped up my enthusiasm started to drop for the car and I was getting to the point where I couldn't care less! 😧

Thanks mate, this makes me happy. :smile:

Any photos of this split pin thing? Trying to get my head around it and compare it to mine.

I had a bodged repair on the end of the throttle cable and when it pinged off the end once, the screw tight end managed to rest nicely on the manifold for me to see.

I can't believe this thread is still going :fearscream:
Good for you for never getting rid of the car, it's easily my favourite and most 'complete' Clio in terms of mods and has now got more sentimental value to you I imagine.
Not sure how much help I'll ever be on the Trophy but if you ever need a hand with that Type-R then I'm only up the road!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I can't believe this thread is still going :fearscream:
Good for you for never getting rid of the car, it's easily my favourite and most 'complete' Clio in terms of mods and has now got more sentimental value to you I imagine.
Not sure how much help I'll ever be on the Trophy but if you ever need a hand with that Type-R then I'm only up the road!
Yep, it's still going mate... and there are plenty more updates to come yet. The good, the bad and the ugly! :) 'Sentimental' is one word... certainly mental... LOL!

Cheers for the offer of help mate. I think we're all good with the Type-R at the moment. It's never missed a beat and is driving as good (if not better) now than it ever has. That gearbox and K20... just laps up the abuse! I'll give you a shout if there's anything mate. :up:

Thanks for that mate. I don't recognise it so now I'm worrying that my setup is missing this as well. @AlexW any chance you can have a look for me when you get a spare 2 mins lol.
:fearscream: Uh-oh... fingers crossed mate! I'm sure you've nothing to worry about though :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I had a driving meet planned with my own car club today but, obviously, the Trophy was not able to make it. However, that did mean that I got to take the Type-R out for a blast and to stretch it's legs; something I've not been able to do for a while. Blessed with glorious sunshine (and the mountain roads opened up again after the recent snow and ice) I met with a few friends and had an excellent day in the Brecon Beacons. I'd forgotten just how fantastic that Honda K20 engine is and that sublime gearchange :) Today was a good day. I'm just looking forward to doing the next one in the Trophy though :up:

20150201_monthly09.jpg

20150201_monthly08.jpg

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Lol all I'm good for is answering phone lol.
Well... I'm not saying anything my friend... :wink: Seriously, just make sure you DO take it easy. :smile:

Carl @bloke has worked his magic on my trophy and its running like a dream.
That's great to hear mate. I'm not bitter... LOL! Joking aside, the Trophy is in good hands at the moment and it is being looked after whilst the various issues are being fixed. I daresay @Russ_16v is starting to regret offering help as my list of 'things [for him] to do' grows longer!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Oh yeah, before I forget... the cap for my header tank arrived yesterday! Still waiting for the breather filter though (to attach to the Mocal catch tank). :up:

53 Clio's & counting
ha about time! When the breather filter turns up, just them both in the post to me and that will be another job ticked off the list

53 Clio's & counting
OK next update!

I have a list of parts currently I am waiting for, so this weekend it was getting on with tackling the leak.

The leak has been a big issue for Andy, as the Trophy currently lives on his drive, the leak combined with the cold weather has left more ice on the inside of the car than on the outside - nothing worse than ice on the windscreen and ice puddles in the footwell!!

Sooooo, I checked all the normal places, but all drain holes were free, I also stripped out the N/S footwell, removed the sound proofing (As it was soaked through) and got out my watering can.

When pouring water over the front, I managed to pin point it to the N/S of the N/S footwell - the sound proofing that goes up behind the dash was soaked on the far left, but no where else, so it had to be up in that N/S corner.

The odd thing was, I didn't think it was any of the drain holes, as if you poured gently, the water correctly ran out the drain holes; if you poured a large amount of water (especially down the windscreen) it gushed inside the car.

First job was wipers and scuttle panels off

20150208_141253_zpsqelqgm29.jpg

As expected, the drain holes looked unblocked, so the next step was pulling the washer bottle out, so pump was removed and out it came

20150208_143253_zpswv32uske.jpg

And what do we have hiding behind that section of loom??

20150208_143303_zpsrd2ycabw.jpg

A-HA!

20150208_143418_zpssqqzazrw.jpg

That pipe is for the rear washer, it goes from the pump, down behind the dash, along the floor and up to the rear wiper, and it passes through the bulkhead through it's own small hole and is kept dry by a bung - the bung had pulled through, leaving the hole open and water to come down off the windscreen, down the bulkhead and right into that hole.

A quick pull on the pipe popped the bung back through:

20150208_143912_zpscqslzk1z.jpg

All I can think is over time that section of loom has rubbed against the pipe and put enough pressure on it to push the bung through (The loom was hard against the pipe) so hopefully as a preventative measure I moved the loom about an inch or so away to stop it happening again.

A quick test of a full watering can directly over it revealed no more leaks :D

Now before I refitted all the bits, I noticed the scuttles looking a bit grey, so I spent half an hour or so with some Auto Glym plastic restorer and here is one done, the other not, to show the difference

20150208_150133_zpsgicee8hh.jpg

And here they are refitted

20150208_151152_zps4vqmqkab.jpg

I will see how that soaks in, I may give it another coat.

So once that was all back together, I have made good progress drying the sound proofing out, but alas the dark set in, and I had to pack her back away for now.

The interior has pretty much all dried out now, so this week will see the other bits arrive, and I should be able to get the interior back up together and fitted, then a trial outside to see how I have faired.

Looking forward to the parts deliveries mind, getting lots ticked off the list, only a few things left to sort :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one Russ, I really can't thank you enough! :)

That slipped bung would certainly explain the leak! The scuttle panel also looks much better having been treated to a bit of Auto Glym loving. You do realise you are already doing more than enough to help and that I don't expect you to restore/valet it?! LOL! :tonguewink: As said before, don't hesitate to give me a shout if there's anything you need from my end. :beers::up:

53 Clio's & counting
LOL! don't worry fella, just glad to help :)

The rest of the interior seems dry, so I am quietly confident that was the only leak, I will get it outside once these bits are done, give it a big soaking with the garden hose and my jetwash just to be 100%

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Any up dates on this old banger? :kissingheart:
Soon mate, soon... :) Things are progressing nicely at the moment. We'll soon be at a point where we need to decide what to do in terms of tackling the 'bigger' (and fewer) remaining problems. I'm also hoping to be able to start training and using my arm again soon so I won't feel quite so useless and may even be able to help out on a few things... although Russ is doing such a good job I might just leave him to it! :)

I'm assuming 'banger' is a term of endearment in this case, yeah? :tongueout:

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Nice to see some help being offered mate, I only ever come back on here to see what is happening with the old pink shed, one day I will log in and there will be no known issues at all and everything will be good in trophy land :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Nice to see some help being offered mate, I only ever come back on here to see what is happening with the old pink shed, one day I will log in and there will be no known issues at all and everything will be good in trophy land :smile:
I dream of that day mate! :) Fingers crossed the next handful of weeks will bring some updates with better news. I am still hopeful and massively grateful for the help I've received. Thanks for checking back :blush: