ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I would be writing to Renault UK once everything is done, Andy. Sagas like this are marketing gold - and you've got so much recorded in the way of details of what's happened over the years.

A very good article on their website, it would make!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I would be writing to Renault UK once everything is done, Andy. Sagas like this are marketing gold - and you've got so much recorded in the way of details of what's happened over the years.

A very good article on their website, it would make!
It's certainly a saga and a half! :tongueout:
There are a couple of magazines that have expressed an interest in a feature or two but I'm not sure whether or not folks would be interested. To be honest, I expect most people are probably sick of hearing about it by now or lost interest a long, long time ago! To those whom are not familiar with Trophy #165... I'm not sure it's 'different' enough [to be of interest].

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's certainly a saga and a half! :tongueout:
There are a couple of magazines that have expressed an interest in a feature or two but I'm not sure whether or not folks would be interested. To be honest, I expect most people are probably sick of hearing about it by now or lost interest a long, long time ago! To those whom are not familiar with Trophy #165... I'm not sure it's 'different' enough [to be of interest].
I think the journey is what grabs people's attention the most, and the fact that you're still persevering with the build tbh mate. I also think I can say on behalf of everyone on this forum, we just want to see you back in the driving seat of #165.
There's some trick stuff in you're build as well buddy - I know the ins and outs, so I'd say it's definitely different enough to be of interest.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I think the journey is what grabs people's attention the most, and the fact that you're still persevering with the build tbh mate. I also think I can say on behalf of everyone on this forum, we just want to see you back in the driving seat of #165.
There's some trick stuff in you're build as well buddy - I know the ins and outs, so I'd say it's definitely different enough to be of interest.
Cheers mate :) I think you're right; it's as much about the journey as it is the car. I've been overwhelmed by the help and support (and offers of support) to help get #165 over the finish line and, as long as there's interest, I'm more than happy to keep on providing the updates. In terms of the actual build, I wasn't meaning to downplay it in any shape or form. You know as much (in fact, more) about this build than anyone. It is a real nice build and it's good to know that there is still interest on the technical side of things. I will probably be coming to you for help in the coming weeks as I try to catch-up on updates and provide progress reports! ;)

It's been a rather hectic year or two for various reasons - health issues and work to name a couple. In conjunction with the sheer frustration of not having the car at home to enjoy I had lost an awful lot of enthusiasm for it. Thankfully, we now seem to be turning a corner and I'm looking forward to ramping up all things Clio again soon. I just need to get a few bits over to Mick (such as the car and everything that needs to go in it!) and we can go from there.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers mate :smile: I think you're right; it's as much about the journey as it is the car. I've been overwhelmed by the help and support (and offers of support) to help get #165 over the finish line and, as long as there's interest, I'm more than happy to keep on providing the updates. In terms of the actual build, I wasn't meaning to downplay it in any shape or form. You know as much (in fact, more) about this build than anyone. It is a real nice build and it's good to know that there is still interest on the technical side of things. I will probably be coming to you for help in the coming weeks as I try to catch-up on updates and provide progress reports! :wink:

It's been a rather hectic year or two for various reasons - health issues and work to name a couple. In conjunction with the sheer frustration of not having the car at home to enjoy I had lost an awful lot of enthusiasm for it. Thankfully, we now seem to be turning a corner and I'm looking forward to ramping up all things Clio again soon. I just need to get a few bits over to Mick (such as the car and everything that needs to go in it!) and we can go from there.
It's been that long I think I may have forgotten a lot of it all now! 😂

I know that feeling mate about losing the love. I was very pleased to see the cup come home after my Nurburgring fiasco, but that soon faded and the decision was made that its time with me was over. Thankfully the 200 has reignited the love for my hobby, so keep the faith mate! #165 will do the same for you I'm sure!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Anything new with the trophy?
Coming up mate...

September 2017 - Update #1

Well - it's been pretty dire of late and, true to form, f**k all has happened. Although not for want of trying. Sorry for the poor photo quality but things had to be done in a bit of a hurry and time was pushing on.

Mick's been waiting for the Trophy to arrive for a while but - sadly - it's been tricky trying to get it moved from the current location. Thankfully it was made accessible the other night so that it could be collected (although I didn't have the means to collect it for a while!), but it meant a quick / late run down to Somerset to collect as many bits as possible as I wasn't exactly comfortable with my car being out in the open with all the new shiny bits loose inside. As usual, the trusty Type-R didn't disappoint and proved itself a good workhorse.

Sadly the car is not in a great state. In fact, it's a mess. Once the important "mechanicals" have been finished I think the interior will need a serious spruce up and refurb. It's no show queen but the Recaros are looking a bit mouldy in places and there's all manner of crawly and slimy critters both inside and outside of the car. The sad truth is it will probably need a respray as well. Being stood outside for so long the bird muck has burnt through the top coat and into the paintwork. And it really is very pink in places now. I was hoping that could be put off a year or two but I'll decide once the work has been done and I've had chance to see what a professional detailer recommends.

So yeah - I headed over to Somerset (a journey that took nearly 3 hours, as opposed to the usual 1.5 hours, as there was an accident a few hundred metres ahead of me on the M4 as I crossed the Severn Bridge). Nature called and then I transferred the bits from Trophy #165 into the Type-R. A short while later I was on the way home; 5.5 hours after setting off I finally got home.

20170920_fixme.jpg

At this point a F**KING massive thanks to Rhys ( @rdoxenham ) for offering his help and getting a trailer sorted for me. And his tow car! I'm still not comfortable with the Trophy left exposed hence Rhys was able to, at VERY short notice, help me out big time. An early start and we're off to collect it shortly... By the time you read this the Trophy will have been collected and on the way to a new home where it will finally get finished. I have a feeling I won't be let down this time, which is a 'good thing' because I'm extremely pissed off and disappointed right now. I feel incredibly let down the truth be known. Anyways, let's take the positives. It's going to a new home for a while and will get a little bit of TLC that it so dearly needs. There's a beast of a car in there somewhere and it just needs teasing out. Sort of.

I'm so deflated (despite the happiness I feel with it finally moving on) that I don't really have much else to add right now. Sorry folks. Here's a picture of my new clutch and pressure plate.

20170920_clutch.jpg

Hopefully I'll have some real updates very soon that show progress being made. It won't be rushed as it's being done right. But it will now get done... :smile: thanks to the Almighty Ginger P.

Peace 'n' love. Out.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@SharkyUK I'm sure it will all come good in the end. Try and get some pics of the bird s**t stains if you can - I ain't no detailer, but I've recently resurrected my daily golf, so I've a very good idea of what you can get away with if you use the right combo. :up:

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Wow what a story, been reading bits and pieces and still going ! Great commitment to get it done. Your still married?!

Trophy
At some point in the near future your luck will change then I'm sure things will happen in a positive way and you have a very nice Trophy to enjoy.... Good things always come to those who wait!..

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
You will be surprised just how much 'bad' paint can be sorted with a good polish and the right compounds!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Really feel for you mate. Never met but as mentioned you seem a top guy, too nice imo lol.

I'd have lost my patience ages ago tbh, it's a pity you can't take it to the likes of carl (Bloke) up here, seems only a few know what there doing and can be arsed.

Hope you sort it mate, really do.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Do you sleepwalk into Mirror shops with a crowbar at night to get your luck?

Just caught up on your story, hope all gets sorted soon and over the latest stumbling block, it'll all come good in the end Andy :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK I'm sure it will all come good in the end. Try and get some pics of the bird s**t stains if you can - I ain't no detailer, but I've recently resurrected my daily golf, so I've a very good idea of what you can get away with if you use the right combo. :up:
I'm sure it will mate. Thankfully things took a turn for the better today (I'll add another update in the next day or so). As for the bird s**t and paintwork, Mick (Diamond Motors) has already got someone on the case for me. The engine, gearbox, etc. is being pulled out and the car decontaminated. There's moss, mould, wildlife inside and out. It's shocking it has been allowed to get in this state. More concerning are the dents that I noticed today as I finally saw it in sunlight. Those will need sorting and I'm hoping the scratch on the door (where it's dented) isn't too deep. I'll know more in a day or two :) As annoyed as I am, I am more concerned about the 'mechanicals' and want those doing right; as they ultimately will be.

Wow what a story, been reading bits and pieces and still going ! Great commitment to get it done. Your still married?!
You're still following? You're crazy... :p I'm not actually married (although I refer to my good lady as my missus!) She's as good as my wife and I love her to bits. She lets me do as I please with all things cars (she's a petrol head herself) - she just doesn't want to hear what I've spent! Thanks for dipping in/out of my thread mate; hopefully some more upbeat updates will be along soon...

Been out of the loop for a while but couldn't believe it's still like this. Even Kwikfit would have done it by now. I know he was doing it as a favour but bloody hell.
Absolutely mate - enough is enough.

It really is a shame it's been left tI get as bad as that 😧 definitely post some pics of the paintwork mate. It might be salvageable
As mentioned above, Mick has already got someone onto it for me mate. It's just disheartening seeing it as it currently stands. I'll try and get some pics at some point and report back following the 'decontamination'. That will provide a clearer picture of how bad it is I think.

Well at least its situation can't get get much worse Andy.
Buy 1 shite mk2 drivers seat.. stick it in for now for moving it around and take the interior out.
True, Chris! Things have turned around now though. No more messing about.

At some point in the near future your luck will change then I'm sure things will happen in a positive way and you have a very nice Trophy to enjoy.... Good things always come to those who wait!..
I'm just fed up of waiting... hahahaha! :) I'm feeling a lot more positive after today though mate. Cheers! :)

You will be surprised just how much 'bad' paint can be sorted with a good polish and the right compounds!
Very true, mate. I am fortunate insofar that I have a good friend who is a full time professional detailer who would be able to check things over (if I could get the car to him!) It's no show queen - the car gets enjoyed too much - but I do try and keep it looking as good as possible. Cheers!

Really feel for you mate. Never met but as mentioned you seem a top guy, too nice imo lol.

I'd have lost my patience ages ago tbh, it's a pity you can't take it to the likes of carl (Bloke) up here, seems only a few know what there doing and can be arsed.

Hope you sort it mate, really do.
Thanks for those words mate. Yeah, I'm a bit too soft I think - with a lot of patience! I like to find/see the best in people as well and tend to give them too much free rein when I should arguably be more demanding.

However, it's in a good place now and in trusted hands. No more messing about, no more favours. This is being finished as a proper planned, executed and paid for package of work. I'm not looking forward to the bill but hey... in for a penny! LOL!

All the best fella :)

Do you sleepwalk into Mirror shops with a crowbar at night to get your luck?

Just caught up on your story, hope all gets sorted soon and over the latest stumbling block, it'll all come good in the end Andy :smile:
Hi Keith - I hope you're well mate.
I was really hoping to drive this year's Trophy Welsh Weekender in #165 but - alas- it was not to be. On the plus side I've packed away my crowbar and moved far, far away from popular mirror-selling retail outlets :)

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Mick is going to work his ginger fingers on it & it's going to be amazing mate! Just think of the positives for now and don't ponder too hard on the bill. ;)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Mick is going to work his ginger fingers on it & it's going to be amazing mate! Just think of the positives for now and don't ponder too hard on the bill. :wink:
Exactly that mate - think of the positives and what's going to spew forth from the Almighty Ginger One :)
I'm not too worried about the bill really as I just want it done now. I've been sensible and budgeted extra for mishaps, etc. so it's covered. All this time WITHOUT the car means I have more time and opportunities to save the pennies. Every cloud... :p

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I'm sorry to see the up and downs continuing here, but hopefully this is the final leg of the journey Andy.

I look forward to seeing it complete, with a tour of the Welsh roads and some like minded souls to celebrate!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
When you finally collect your trophy you MUST take someone to video it. I think it will be an amazing moment that you will want to relive over and over again. Plus we all want to see you sob with happiness like a little girl [emoji23][emoji106]
It will be a special moment mate! And I'm pretty sure it will be caught on camera, too... However, sorry to disappoint you - I don't sob like a little girl. I'm more a "sniff and snot bubble" type of person. :p

I'm sorry to see the up and downs continuing here, but hopefully this is the final leg of the journey Andy.

I look forward to seeing it complete, with a tour of the Welsh roads and some like minded souls to celebrate!
Cheers Oli - I hope this is the final leg. I'm certainly feeling happier than I have in a very long time. As for the tour of the Welsh roads with like-minded souls... abso-bloody-lutely! Consider it a forthcoming event at which I expect to see you. ;)

On a more important note, I hope you and family are all well and in good health. :)

@SharkyUK I live near Micks place if you or he ever needs a hand etc Would love to see it finished!
That's very kind - thanks mate! I'll give you a shout if needs be. I'm originally from that neck of the woods (Nottinghamshire, I was born near Mansfield) so I am up that way now and again to visit family. In fact, my sister's new house is only a short distance from Mick's workshop... could be handy!

It lives again, thankfully, this is a real labour of love and i am glad its back to being worked on.
Hope all goes well with this as its definitely a favorite trophy of mine.
Thank you mate. I'm over the moon it's getting proper attention and a solid plan of action put together. It will still take a little while but it will now get done. :) Thanks for the kind words and I hope it's still a favourite Trophy of yours when it's all done.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
September 2017 - Update #2

You lucky, lucky people... a second update in as many days! Sadly it's a rather bittersweet update (for me at least) but it's also very much a big part of the car's ongoing story. I truly, TRULY hope that this is the start of the end - but in the nicest possible way. I simply can't keep on in the manner I have done in the past 10 years of ownership, especially the last 5 years or so. With a bit of luck Trophy #165 will now have the attention it deserves and I'm delighted that I finally have the right person 'on it' to see it over the finish line.

Alas, it's not been a great chapter in the car's history of late. To be able to draw a line under it and to now move on is a huge relief. It's been messy but what's done is done. I can't wait to move on to the next chapter with a newfound enthusiasm and one that will definitely see the results I have been yearning for for quite some time now.

Without further ado, let's get the story updated with what's been happening recently...

20170920_moving01.jpg

In my previous update I explained how I flew over to Glastonbury to hurriedly collect some parts from SJM Automotive's workshop. The car had been made 'accessible' such that it could be collected at a time convenient to myself and the keys mailed through. Accessible meant it was outside the workshop and thus ready to be put on a trailer for transporting to its new home. Dan had been unable to arrange a time due to other commitments and, after weeks of trying, I got fed up of waiting - which led to this. I didn't actually realise he had dissolved / wound-up his business some months prior and was working full-time as a HGV driver. I also wasn't at all comfortable with thousands of pounds worth of new and custom parts being in (what I deemed) a quite insecure setting. That's why I wanted to get over and grab as many bits as possible, short of collecting the entire car itself (it was going to be a while before I could source a tow car and trailer). I certainly wasn't happy leaving the new engine and gearbox in there (I could have bought a really nice Trophy with what they alone cost and still had change) but my choices were limited.

Fortunately, and I am incredibly grateful to him, Rhys was able to help me. And in a very big way. He'd been generously offering help for quite some time but - as already mentioned - I had not been able to get access to the car. Now that the car was available plans could be made. Of course, this meant hiring a trailer and it would likely be a short while before one could be sourced and hired. However, Rhys was able to sort one out for me at the drop of a hat and, being such a legend, also offered his driving services and Beemer for towing. As daft as it sounds, I was just hoping my Trophy would be as I had left it when we collected a couple of days later.

With the trailer sorted I headed over to Cardiff early (a 5am start for me) to meet Rhys and to begin the journey. I had all the parts I'd collected from my previous trip hence these were quickly (and quietly) transferred to Rhys' car before setting off towards Glastonbury. The early start meant we made good time due to missing the worst of the rush hour traffic.

Upon arrival at the workshop we prepared the car ready for putting onto the trailer and the bonnet was popped open. There were a few loose bits that needed removing (before they fell off) such as loose bolts in the scuttle panel and similar places. More worryingly, and somewhat disappointingly, the engine and gearbox weren't secured in the engine bay. They were on the mounts but hadn't been secured; not even the dogbone mount. As a result the whole assembly simply rocked back and forth in the bay. As it was rocked by hand to determine how secure it was, it was noticed that the turbo wasn't that secure so things were "finger-tightened" for transport where possible. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting it perfectly mounted but I was expecting a few bolts here and there to offer a little bit of stability at least.

After giving the car a little more attention we were able to roll it onto the trailer, strap it down, and to begin the next leg of the journey towards Nottingham. This was the first time I'd seen my Trophy in the daylight for quite some time. I was happy to see it moving at last, but sad to see just how much of a state the car was in.

20170920_moving02.jpg

20170920_moving03.jpg

We made good time on the leg of the journey from Glastonbury to Long Eaton and Mick was there to welcome Trophy #165 with open arms. Ok, maybe that's stretching the truth somewhat but Mick was there nonetheless! I think it's fair to say he wasn't too impressed with the state of the car - especially given the gleaming and shiny Trophys he usually has through is workshop. Still, it had finally arrived and was now being placed into a pair of very capable hands.

After rolling the car off the trailer we took another look over it, noting the dents and scratches that had appeared in various places. Let's just say I wasn't particularly impressed seeing those. Even so, those can be fixed with a little dent magic and polishing (or a respray if the scratches are too deep). Bird droppings on the vehicle had 'etched' their way into the paintwork and I'm hoping these can be sorted when a detailer gets his or her hands on it. After spending a short time inspecting it - and pulling snails, moss, detritus from it - I grabbed a few pics. Like an idiot I forgot to take pics of the interior in its current state (I also should have taken pics of the green stuff growing from the plastic trims) and only grabbed a few from the business end of the vehicle.

20170920_moving04.jpg

20170920_moving05.jpg

Worryingly there were signs of insects and general grubbiness in and around ports and in/outlets on the engine that had been left open to air (including the turbo). Whilst arguably not that dangerous in the scheme of things I just don't want to have foreign bodies in places where they shouldn't be! Mick will be taking a closer look to ensure all is clean and well before even thinking about working further on it. There were a lot of spiders and spider sacs, too. Mick loved that.

20170920_moving07.jpg

20170920_moving08.jpg

I don't think this is a look of admiration that Mick is expressing here...

20170920_moving09.jpg

Eventually we rolled Trophy #165 into the workshop; a new home for the next few weeks / months. There is no date set for completion as it most certainly won't be rushed now. However, it will be meticulously planned, work agreed, and then carried out. I am in Mick's debt for offering me his services and expertise, yet I feel incredibly guilty dropping a state of a car on him and a car that was devised around somebody else's vision. Rest assured it will get done and I look forward to seeing it progress over the coming weeks and months.

20170920_moving10.jpg

All tucked up with a few bits and pieces waiting to be assembled and installed.

20170920_moving11.jpg

20170920_moving12.jpg

It's been messy of late and friendships tarnished. I have been left feeling angry and disappointed. When I think back over the last 3 years I realise just how little has been done on the car (the engine and gearbox were built elsewhere). Whilst I love the superb work Dan has done on the exhaust I really couldn't let things carry on as they were. Too little, too long, too many reasons as to why time could not be devoted to my car. As said, it's time to draw a line under it and move on. I don't wish ill of anyone and I hope things improve where those friendships may have degraded somewhat. It's been unfortunate and I can't be expected to feel anything other than deflated after another let down. I thank him for what he has done as I thank Mike Woody Woodford for his help and time. Mike has kindly offred a hand to help out if / when needed and I am grateful for that.

Consider the line drawn and here's to a brighter future for Trophy #165. Best wishes to you all and thanks for reading. :smile:

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Such a bitter sweet moment. Getting the car to someone who will finish it with care, whilst also finding the state it’s been left in.

At least it’s in one of the best places it could be, Micks work is top drawer.

Fingers crossed it turns out to be everything you dreamed of once finished!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
At least that's an actual progress update! The ball is now rolling, maybe slowly at first but there's no stopping it now. I'm excited to see it progress and I've not read the whole back story. You must be positively buzzing now!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Speechless tbh. I'm really hoping it goes well this time round Andy, sounds like Mick has his work cut out with state of the car. There's not much worse than picking up where someone else left off, looking for missing bolts etc

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
You seem to be the nicest person in the world! Hopefully it'll get sorted now.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Monaco 172
I've always seen this thread but never really looked at it an F**K me you've been through it haven't you!!
I can only hope that when it gets sorted and you can enjoy it after all you've been through.

Best of luck mate

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
I'm sure everything will be sweet in the end and can't wait to see it about on the roads next year!