ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Great update Andy :) Those cams do look great and will be really interesting to see what it makes!

I need to get a set of the leads as mine are past their best I think
Cheers mate - as soon as they are in and mapped I'll be posting up the results. Being realistic I'm not expecting massive gains but I do think they'll compliment the ITB's very nicely. A few extra horses and torques are always welcomed. :D

As for the leads... I don't know how much of a noticeable difference the Magnecor ones will make (over 'normal') but they look so much nicer! Get it done... (it's so easy to spend other folks hard-earned!)

Nice purchase mate
Thanks mate. :D Hopefully the next 'round' of mod's will be smooth sailing compared to the last!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
20120709_03.jpg

Are you still using the filter of death Andy?

Evo 5 RS
Most foam filters will produce build up like that over time, the pipercross 60* range are the least prone to it though I've found. Generally the bigger the better.

As long as the mesh isn't making it's way down there ;)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Are you still using the filter of death Andy?
No mate - using a MUCH better solution now. To be fair, the filter was in need of a clean as I'd not done it in a while (so the build-up was not unexpected). All seems to be well as far as the filter is concerned. :D

Most foam filters will produce build up like that over time, the pipercross 60* range are the least prone to it though I've found. Generally the bigger the better.

As long as the mesh isn't making it's way down there ;)

^ I checked the mesh and can verify that all is present, intact and exactly where it should be... i.e. in cylinders 2 and 4! LOL!

Seriously, all appears well at the moment mate. All that I need is for the ITB's to be balanced and possibly a remap as it appears to be running a little rich. The amount of soot coming out the exhausts is ridiculous at the moment. I'm literally having to clean the rear of the car every 15-20 miles to get the deposits off. Case in point, I cleaned the exhausts for the Action Day at Combe Friday night... and by the time I arrived at the circuit Saturday morning (an hours drive) they were thick black with soot. Chip reckons it might be the map having bumped into him at Combe.

Evo 5 RS
Yeah, balancing and a bit of a tune up. If it's been over a year it probably needs a quick look at on the laptop. More fuel is better than less fuel though, unless you're getting bore wash. Which is where it all gets a bit technical for me lol.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, balancing and a bit of a tune up. If it's been over a year it probably needs a quick look at on the laptop. More fuel is better than less fuel though, unless you're getting bore wash. Which is where it all gets a bit technical for me lol.
It has been more than a year now, mate - and obviously the engine has been through a fair bit in that time so a remap wouldn't do it any harm. I'm just a bit reluctant to spend at the moment as I'm hoping to get the cams in very soon (and don't want to pay out twice). As for bore wash... er, is it was Miss Piggy does every morning in the shower? :D

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
September 2012 - Minor Update

Nothing much to report apart from the fact that the Trophy flew through it's MOT today. There were a couple of minor issues but, thankfully, nothing too serious:

- Rear brake pads need changing
- Rear dampers need replacing as they have started to leak

I'll simply be ordering the standard OE RenaultSport pads for the rears and also looking to buy replacement rear Trophy Sachs as well. I was tempted to go for Koni's but I figure I absolutely love the way the T drives on the current set up and don't feel the need to change it.

It's an expensive month - insurance, tax, MOT and new parts. Still waiting for that lottery win...

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
September 2012 - Update

Despite flying through the MOT the other week the inspector did notice a slight leak from the rear dampers. It wasn't bad enough to fail the MOT but definitely needed to keep an eye on it. Unfortunately the week between then and now has seen me travelling some significant miles with work and sure enough the dampers have pretty much given up. Whilst steady driving was fine I certainly wouldn't like to have pushed on too hard so it was time to get in some new items (along with rear brake pads which also needed replacing).

I had already received the brake pads a few days prior (standard rear Renault OEM's) so they were good to go but I needed to source some Sachs rear dampers pretty quickly. The ride was noticeably degrading and I have a trackday coming up on Wednesday! After a brief look around I contacted Mick at Diamond Motors to see if he could help me source new rear Sachs. And that he did. Within a few days of ordering them I had a shiny new set arrive at 7am this morning (a time I never knew existed on a Saturday).

20120922_sachsbrakes01.jpg

20120922_sachsbrakes02.jpg

All I need now is to get them fitted in time for Wednesday. Fingers crossed...

I'd like to say a big thanks to Mick at Diamond Motors (Long Eaton, Nottingham) for sorting out the Sachs. And at a good price, too. In fact, I can't thank Mick enough for the great service, communication and general chat we had on the phone. A top bloke and someone who I would happily recommend to sort out their Clio. :D

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Nice update. Try to get some sort of extra protection on the rear dampers as they rust like ****. I had sprayed a few coats of lacquer onto my new ones 18months ago and showing signs of rust already.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Nice!!! However why not go koni rears?
The simple reason is that I REALLY like the way the Trophy handles on the Sachs set up; both for fast road and the odd track day. They suit the way I drive and (without being overly biased) I am yet to drive a car that feels as nicely balanced as my T does at the moment. As a result I'm reluctant to change to anything else.

Nice update. Try to get some sort of extra protection on the rear dampers as they rust like ****. I had sprayed a few coats of lacquer onto my new ones 18months ago and showing signs of rust already.
Thanks for the advice / suggestion! Can I ask what/which lacquer you used or would recommend? Cheers buddy! :D

EDIT: I just read through your thread again and made some notes... ;)

182 Trophy #196
So much love for this build thread, think this is only project log I've read from start to finish - keep it up!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
So much love for this build thread, think this is only project log I've read from start to finish - keep it up!

Thanks mate - glad you enjoyed the read. I'm currently saving for the next round of mod's and these will hopefully be happening over the winter months. With a bit of luck I'll have a whole batch of new updates in time for spring! :D

182 Trophy #196
Excellent, look forward to it! I've just not long purchased my T and it's by far the best car I've owned so some great inspiration from this thread! How much do you estimate you've spent so far on Mods?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent, look forward to it! I've just not long purchased my T and it's by far the best car I've owned so some great inspiration from this thread! How much do you estimate you've spent so far on Mods?
I've spent a lot to get it to where it is (but not as much as some folk on here!) I have kept a spreadsheet with the costs and one day I might get brave enough to post it up. LOL! :D

a house deposit :quiet: still a beast of a car
Ain't that the truth, fella! But glad you approve. I think. Maybe. :D

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
^apart from the golden hotpants. Oh and the Damon Hill thing you have going on lol.
Dont ask me why I still lurk on here? I hope to one day too have another Clio.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
^apart from the golden hotpants. Oh and the Damon Hill thing you have going on lol.
Dont ask me why I still lurk on here? I hope to one day too have another Clio.
Oh yeah, I forgot about those vices... ssssh! :eek: It would be good to see you back in a Clio sweetcheeks.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
I know i know. Keep using the excuse that I should get one for the mrs so I can drive it properly, then give it back lol. The BM is far from done though many more miles to cover. Still need to drive the t"woe"phy at some point too. Probably before you spend any more on it......just in case.

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
You cant tear yourself away mate offer still stands if you wanna blast the cup up the queensway one day :clown:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I know i know. Keep using the excuse that I should get one for the mrs so I can drive it properly, then give it back lol. The BM is far from done though many more miles to cover. Still need to drive the t"woe"phy at some point too. Probably before you spend any more on it......just in case.
Don't be using the old "get one for the missus" routine... LOL! ...actually, maybe that isn't such a bad idea after all...

Regarding the BM, yeah - it would be a shame to part with it at the moment. I daresay there's a shed load of life left in her yet and your recent trip in the PashunWagen seemed an enjoyable one. :D Hey, you're more than welcome to jump into the Twoephy anytime mate.

You cant tear yourself away mate offer still stands if you wanna blast the cup up the queensway one day :clown:
I think he should take you up on the offer...

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
Haha yeah what a trip, the flame has been rekindled and the Autobahn Disposal Unit is clean. Who'd have thought the rep mobile so much fun.

Marc I will take you up on that, also when are you selling me the cup? Lol

Andy I will take you up on that too......be interesting to have a non biased view on a comparison between the two.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
So here we go, then. This is what I've got planned for the Trophy in 2013...

20121204_plan.jpg

The Plan:

To rebuild the engine with forged internals throughout whilst throwing in some fairly lairy cams and retaining the ITB's. In short, a forged, high-compression N/A engine build.

Estimated Completion Date:

Whenever it's ready. As most folks know the Trophy is a keeper so it doesn't matter how long it takes. I can't realistically put a completion date on it either as it's going to take a fair bit of saving for. However, some choice components *might* already have arrived or are coming very soon...

The Target Specification:

I guess this is the important bit really; i.e. what I'm aiming for in terms of specification. Firstly, I'm NOT chasing big power figures with this build as I don't want to go down that route (at least not with this car). Admittedly, for the same sort of cost, I could be driving around in a 300bhp+ forced induction Trophy but I think it's too much for what I want in this car and will totally ruin what it's about - i.e. the handling and the highly-strung N/A characteristics I enjoy. It's an extremely rewarding car to drive (when the chance to do so presents itself) and that is what I'm aiming to maintain. Driving pleasure / enjoyment whether I'm on the daily commute, a driving meet or on track.

Enough waffle. The aim is a high-compression N/A forged engine build circa 12.6:1 compression. Any more than that and you're really starting to get into the 'race car' realm (remembering this is to remain as my daily commuting weap- vehicle). It will go something like this (primary components):

- 2.0l 16v F4R engine rebuilt + re-bored to 83mm- Keeping the existing individual throttle bodies setup (KTR Jenvey-based direct-to-head)
- Wossner 83mm oversized forged pistons
- KTR forged conrods
- ARP conrod bolts
- New big end bearings and main bearings
- ACL Race Series "tanged" shells
- Supertech Inconel valves
- KTR uprated valve springs
- Schrick cams
- Uprated RS Megane injectors
- New oil pump
- Aircon delete (and belts, pulleys, etc.)

Obviously there will be other 'supporting' bits and pieces along the way but the main bulk is in the list above. As I said earlier there is no hurry, no set target date. I will be keeping this thread updated with progress made. I guess it all depends how impatient I become. :D

RX7 FD
I love your updates chap! Good luck with it all :)

What figures are you looking at roughly with all this work? Just out of curiosity!

Suzuki Jimny
The noise will be worth it!

Hope it's all straight forward for you :)

Last edited:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I love your updates chap! Good luck with it all :)

What figures are you looking at roughly with all this work? Just out of curiosity!
Cheers fella - fingers crossed it will go smoothly. :D
In terms of figures and expectations... optimistically I'm looking for 220-230bhp. But realistically I'm expecting around 220bhp with torque in the high 170's.

Awesome plans and love the breif of keeping NA and handling characteristics :)
Thank you mate. As much as I would like a big power car I'd rather buy something different and leave the Trophy a highly-tuned N/A.

The noise will be worth it!

Hope it's all straight forward for you :)
Thanks Matt. I'm hoping the going will be a bit smoother compared to past times! Oh - sod the stone chips. It might be a Trophy but function over form still applies. A respray is a long way down the list... LOL! :D

I love this Trophy Andy, even more so now!
Cheers Tim! I'm already growing impatient...

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Brilliant Andy, look forward to the updates!
Cheers Luke. I hope I can bring the updates in sooner rather than later. I might ask for money from folks this Christmas... (as gifts!) LOL! :D

Love your Trophy Andy and glad you are keeping it na mate. Will be keeping an eye on this thread!
Thanks George. If you keep supplying the brakes then I'll keep providing the updates!