ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Mate - put it this way, I could have bought near on two more Trophy's on what I've spent out since March last year. :( I've kept a spreadsheet of the costs of getting things done / fixed on the car. I'm half tempted to post it up but... well... it's painful! I might post it up at some point so folks can have a good laugh! LOL!

You should do - for a laugh, like you say! ;)

I'd probably throw-up on the spot if I knew just how much money I'd plunged into cars over the years. Your's does sound like a 'benchmark case' however - lol!

D.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Glad your car will be back with you soon :)
Thanks mate :D

Good, look forward to seeing it, we won't screw your car up!! ;)
I'm sure it will be in very safe hands, Fred. I just have to wait a few months (financial year end) for my bonus to roll in and I'll be on my way over... ;)

You should do - for a laugh, like you say! ;)

I'd probably throw-up on the spot if I knew just how much money I'd plunged into cars over the years. Your's does sound like a 'benchmark case' however - lol!

D.
LOL! When I get around to doing my next 'proper' update I'll consider adding in the costs over the last year. This includes all the unexpected costs such as the aftermath of blowing up Matt's (TDF) loan car, the hotel stays due to work not being done on time, and so forth. It's scary how quickly it all adds up. But that's a story for another time...

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
You blew up his cup? LOL
Well... no, I didn't blow it up as such (and this is going back to the beginning of April 2010). I was looking to pick up my Trophy at the time but it wasn't ready. As I had a car show / event with my own Car Club that weekend, Matt was kind enough to let me borrow his Cup so that a) I could get back home to Wales and b) so that I could get along to the show (which was the Action Day at Castle Combe). On the way home from the show the diff kind of went 'pop'. It went from a good weekend:

(Photo taken from earlier in my project thread... April 2010)
20110409_ccspcad_85.jpg

...to a bad weekend...

(Photo taken from earlier in my project thread... April 2010)
20110411_poorly172.jpg

...that incurred a fair bit of cost in getting the car retrieved and then ferried over to Matt! LOL! :D I still feel bad about it to this day but Matt was cool about it.

RS2'd Trophy
Really hope you get this sorted out for sometime this year so we can go for a road trip/pics or the trophys!

I was getting fed up of mine with loads of little niggles but now there sorted and after one seriously good drive I have fallen back in love with it! When there working to the best of there ability the fun factor makes all the heart ache worth it. Keep in there chap.

James

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Really hope you get this sorted out for sometime this year so we can go for a road trip/pics or the trophys!

I was getting fed up of mine with loads of little niggles but now there sorted and after one seriously good drive I have fallen back in love with it! When there working to the best of there ability the fun factor makes all the heart ache worth it. Keep in there chap.

James
I'm picking her up on Saturday mate and she's been given a full bill of health! Excited? You bet. As much as I've enjoyed driving my good lady's Type-R I don't get the same levels of enjoyment as I do from my Trophy.

Ah, light at the end of the tunnel finally Andy :)
Indeed mate - and this time (hopefully) it's not the light of an oncoming freight train! I might be able to get to a few meets this year. :D

LOL. That's golden!
Hmmph *not amused* LOL! :butt:

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
What a read! Blimey!

Awesomely written and presented... So made it a real pleasure!

Firstly what a beautiful and well modded car

Just lovely!

Hope this Saturday goes smoothly and it all goes well for you

You seem to have handled it all do well... Far TOO well in the end to be honest. You are just to nice and too patient and people have mugged you off with either shoddy work or just keeping you waiting. The misunderstanding with your car sitting there for 2 weeks doing nothing whilst you were getting buses and trains for example! Or the filter saga! WTF!!!! and as for k-Tec... jesus

I'm far to nice myself as anyone who knows me will tell you but even I may have had some harsh words or even legal action... Well maybe not legal! but you know what I mean!!! some people I know would be smashing ktec place up they would be that angry! not my style and do not condone people handling stuff like this... but you seem to be not wanting to upset anyone all the time and the person loosing out is you. I AM the same by the way!!!

You seem such a lovely bloke and have genuine love of cars! Shame you are so far away as I have a jeep and cool brian james race shuttle that you could borrow and could have used to have moved about with. Let me know in future. Also if you ever get stuck for a car going forward whilst your car is being worked on (fingers crossed in wont be!) then just send me an message and I'll lend you one. Anything to help a fellow petrol head... and unlucky (and too soft like me bloke!)

Good luck again for Saturday! Hope your luck changes! But do try and toughen up a bit as well.... It will probably help sometimes ;)

Oh and if it makes you feel better? I have spent far far far more than you on my little cup in last few years and have also had shite luck and lost alot more money through no fault of my own when a wrong part was fitted and failed. (nothing to do with the AWESOME Mark fish by the way who is a Clio GOD and does most of the work on my 2 Clios)

Also last week just discovered my engine also needs rebuild as cylinder 3 was well down and so that's why my ITB car was getting out dragged by standard clios on track!

Can't wait to get mine back either! Addictive little beasties!

Enjoy saturday!

Lionel Richie
When do i get to see your beastie Lee? (ooh err!) You've been everywhere else too apart from me :( I feel like the fat hooker no one wants LOL!!!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Good luck again for Saturday! Hope your luck changes! But do try and toughen up a bit as well.... It will probably help sometimes ;)

What are you on about, Porkie? Andy doesn't need to toughen up. It takes skill, patience and untethered violence to become known as a 'Cup Killer'.

;)

D.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
When do i get to see your beastie Lee? (ooh err!) You've been everywhere else too apart from me :( I feel like the fat hooker no one wants LOL!!!

BTM will 10000% get some business from me in future I think you are super helpful, mega professional and a proper expert an enthuiast petrolhead!

Cant speak highly enough of you and always point anyone in your way in your direction

just found out... my lack of compression is due to big chunk out of piston :(

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
or do you mean the Ferrari? thats out of Warrenty in 11 months.... I hear you are the man with Exotics?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Glad its all sorted buddy .
Thanks mate - me too! :D

What a read! Blimey!

Awesomely written and presented... So made it a real pleasure!

Firstly what a beautiful and well modded car

Just lovely!

Hope this Saturday goes smoothly and it all goes well for you
Porkie - thanks for the VERY kind words and for taking the time to reply in length. It is very much appreciated as are your comments and offer of help in future. It really restores my faith in humanity to see that there are still decent folk out there who are prepared to offer help and assistance if needed!

You seem to have handled it all do well... Far TOO well in the end to be honest. You are just to nice and too patient and people have mugged you off with either shoddy work or just keeping you waiting. The misunderstanding with your car sitting there for 2 weeks doing nothing whilst you were getting buses and trains for example! Or the filter saga! WTF!!!! and as for k-Tec... jesus
I am a very patient and tolerant person. I learned long ago that excessive stressing and worrying does not solve a thing and that staying calm and relaxed is the way to go. Naturally I still get extremely pi$$ed off and annoyed but I don't let it boil over. On the couple of occasions where I have exploded... BOOM! We don't talk about those occasions. ;)

I'm far to nice myself as anyone who knows me will tell you but even I may have had some harsh words or even legal action... Well maybe not legal! but you know what I mean!!! some people I know would be smashing ktec place up they would be that angry! not my style and do not condone people handling stuff like this... but you seem to be not wanting to upset anyone all the time and the person loosing out is you. I AM the same by the way!!!
Are you my long-lost brother?! LOL Joking aside, yeah - it's not my style either and I find that causing trouble through retaliation only makes for more trouble and grief further down the line. I do have limits, though - I refuse to be completely walked all over (unless it's in lieu of a massage session or my good lady is getting a little kinky!)

You seem such a lovely bloke and have genuine love of cars! Shame you are so far away as I have a jeep and cool brian james race shuttle that you could borrow and could have used to have moved about with. Let me know in future. Also if you ever get stuck for a car going forward whilst your car is being worked on (fingers crossed in wont be!) then just send me an message and I'll lend you one. Anything to help a fellow petrol head... and unlucky (and too soft like me bloke!)
Mate - that is a very kind offer and I am genuinely touched (no, not in THAT sense!) Where abouts are you based? If problems or situations do crop up in the future I may well be in touch with you! Whilst I don't like to take advantage I do appreciate the kind offer of help and assistance and would naturally do the same in return. If ever you are in South Wales... :D I'll drop you a PM shortly (if you haven't yet received one from me).

I hear you buddy! I can be tough when I needs to be. It's the quiet ones you have to watch...!

Oh and if it makes you feel better? I have spent far far far more than you on my little cup in last few years and have also had s**te luck and lost alot more money through no fault of my own when a wrong part was fitted and failed. (nothing to do with the AWESOME Mark fish by the way who is a Clio GOD and does most of the work on my 2 Clios)
Ouch - sounds like you know exactly how bad it can be when things don't go your way. Like yourself, I'm not after sympathy but this build thread has been a great way to vent and to highlight that things don't always go to plan.

Enjoy saturday!
I will mate - don't you worry. And thanks again! :D

I feel like the fat hooker no one wants LOL!!!
You, too? Dang. It feels awful, no? PMSL!

What are you on about, Porkie? Andy doesn't need to toughen up. It takes skill, patience and untethered violence to become known as a 'Cup Killer'.

;)

D.
Jog on my friend... jog on... ;)

just found out... my lack of compression is due to big chunk out of piston :(
Ah cr4p - hope you can get it sorted quickly and easily. I know this guy, works as BTM, Frank I think his name is...

53 Clio's & counting
Glad to hear it's sorted Andy, it has been a long old affair!

When am I next seeing you, Combe in April?

Lionel Richie
or do you mean the Ferrari? thats out of Warrenty in 11 months.... I hear you are the man with Exotics?

cheers Porkie! Tony said you're a grade A* nutter behind the wheel, i look forward to seeing your skills!

I wouldn't go that far, get an extended warranty, its sort of a must with one of them, although saying that all the ferrari's i've looked after were pretty reliable (surprisingly!)

360's liked breaking clutches and flywheels, plus we had a few "steam powered" engines, ball joints s**tting themselves etc

the only issue we had with the 430's was the oil pump every now and again, the gearbox etc were good! although i lost count on the amount of cracked front rims!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Lol @ Frank
My bad... is it Francis? :D

Awesome thread and great write up! Hope you can get everything sorted out and get the car exactly as you wanted it to be!
Thanks for taking the time to have a look through the thread, mate. Glad you enjoyed it! :D

Glad to hear it's sorted Andy, it has been a long old affair!

When am I next seeing you, Combe in April?
Heh heh - cheers, Russ. It's been a bit of a slog but I picked the Trophy up earlier today and the drive home confirmed that it was worth waiting for. Peak power is a little down but the spread of torque is nice. I'll post up the graphs soon. Whilst it's not a freak of an F4R engine it seems to be fairly strong so I'm certainly looking forward to getting the cams in and a few other bits and pieces I want doing... ;)

Combe in April? Yes mate. Sounds good to me (if I don't see you before). I'll be bringing FF along and already have a few cars lined up (along with Public Liability Cover and all that jazz). Are you taking BSE along again? Maybe we can join up or at least hook up whilst there.

So yes - as mentioned a sentence or two above - I got my Trophy back today and I'm as happy as a pig in sh!t! Update to come soon. :D

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting
Yup with BSE as always - how many FF you got? As you are welcome on with us numbers depending :)

il take you out for a few laps in the Golf ;)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Yup with BSE as always - how many FF you got? As you are welcome on with us numbers depending :)

il take you out for a few laps in the Golf ;)
Nice one - I expected you would be. The only thing that may stop me personally is if I have to go away with work (which may happen) but others will still be going. In terms of numbers, I have 14 definites / confirmed at the moment. And I may well take you up on the offer of a few laps in the Golf...

53 Clio's & counting
Brilliant, il check up on our numbers mate.

Sweet, im booking as many sessions as i can, iv got a few people wanting passenger rides so should be good fun :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
January 2012

Happy days! I am chuffed to be able to say that I have got my car back and that it is driving beautifully! How I have missed it. Now, whilst I don't want to tempt fate I will say that the car is really 'together' now. It's driving well, the newly rebuilt Sachs are an absolute joy and it sticks to the road like glue. :D

Here's the story...

I made arrangements with Matt (Matt Bentley of Track Group) last week so that I could pick up my Trophy on Saturday (yesterday). As they were closed for the weekend he kindly agreed to meet me there around lunchtime. Sure enough, I turned up as did Matt a few moments afterwards. We had a good chat and he detailed the work that had been carried out as well as the various checks and diagnostics performed to ensure that all was well within the engine and its running. After the chat he handed over the paperwork and dyno graph (which I'll post up below) and I started the fairly lengthy trek back home to Wales.

The drive home was fantastic. I didn't go mad but naturally I had to ensure I got my fill of ITB goodness as it had been so long since the last time... I think my good lady probably thought I was a bit mental but even she was smiling as I floored it through the tunnels on the way home *embarrassed grin* It was the first time I'd really properly driven it with the new filter solution (and with it making the proper torque / power) and it sounded the mutts nuts. Talking of the "good lady", I really must thank her for letting me have her Type-R for the last few months, for putting up with my moaning and for coming along yesterday so that I had transport between Wales and Kimbolton!

So... where is the Trophy currently at?

As briefly mentioned in a previous post, no major problems were found in terms of pistons, cylinders, valves or any related components. A thorough look at the engine had confirmed this. Likewise, the head work that had been carried out last year was spot-on and there were no problems there. As for the leaks, these had been fixed and the leak down test and compression test found nothing out of the ordinary. A few test drives along the way (during the repairs) appeared to confirm that there was nothing else much wrong apart from the rather bad leaks.

A quick look at the compression test and I did notice that it was down a bit (across all cylinders) compared to the results I got from them last year - but they are not out of the ordinary. The results can be seen below:

jan2012_comptest_results.png

As I say, the compression is a little bit down but it's pretty consistent across all 4 cylinders with a variance of only 0.5 bar.

Matt (TDF Matt) had agreed to take a quick look at my car after the work was done to ensure that it was running well from a map / tuning perspective. He knows the car well having carried out the work previously along with the remapping. He put it on the dyno a few days ago and the results are shown below. The map appears good although the peak power is down a little bit compared to last time (but I'm not going to worry aboutit). The most important thing, and what I am interested in, is the torque spread. Whilst I'm no expert, the torque seems pretty good (certainly from a driver's perspective!) and comes in nice and early. With the instantly responsive throttle it is sooo much fun to drive. Ok, so the turbo and diesel boys may laugh at the torque levels but for a 2.0l NA petrol I'm not complaining. :D Here's the power graph:

jan2012_dynotdf_bhptrq.png

And here's the AFR graph:

jan2012_dynotdf_afr.png

Sadly I don't have a freakishly strong F4R engine in my Trophy but it seems 'fairly' strong.

In celebration of the Trophy's return I decided that it would be celebrated today by having a Sunday roast at a favourite pub / restaurant with my better half. Truth is, I only really suggested it so that I could have a quick blast out and grab a couple of photos for the album. They aren't the best photos but here you go...

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

Oh - the Sunday roast was good. But the drive to and from the pub was even better. ;)

Once I've saved up a bit I have plans for further upgrades that will require the services of certain folks that frequent these forum pages. I am now happy to say that "Stage 1" is complete and I'm looking forward to taking it further later in the year.

Cheers,
Andy

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
nice update and chuffed for you, as the time, money you have put into this little beauty deserves the good results. look forward to what you do next to it. :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
i hope you had some awesomesauce on your roast....
Mate, I did. And then I had another roast so that I could have even more awesomesauce! :D It might sound a bit sad but it's sooo good to have it back.

Glad its all sorted and back in your hands

Looks mint in the pictures :)
Cheers fella. When I took the car in it was quite dirty yet when I picked it up it was nice and clean (as per the pics). It saved me having to wash it which meant I could have an extra hour or two driving it instead. Cheers!

Great news :)
Amen to that - thanks mate.

happy days :clap:
You were right - some things are worth waiting for... ;)

nice update and chuffed for you, as the time, money you have put into this little beauty deserves the good results. look forward to what you do next to it. :)
Thank you for the kind words mate. It has been worth it in the end and I look forward to the future work, too. I have to admit that a good bonus at work and/or a lottery win would help. A lot. LOL! :D