ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The least original Iceberg 172 ever! (Plenty of pics)

Been a while since I've put anything in here, but thought I'd just add a few pics.
@dann2707, @AdamR and I are on another forum, actually for cycling but with a growing number of petrolheads. Someone had the idea to run a track day instead of a car meet, so Adam got us a day at Curborough sprint track.

It was awesome! Really great day had by all, with about 10 cars doing hot laps, un-timed in the morning while we learned the corners, timed in the afternoon so we could have a bit of a shoot out.

Anyway, here are pictures I've stolen off the guys who had cameras...
T0GaDAo.jpg

kxeOXo5.jpg

gKqB83N.jpg

IaJpqHs.jpg

N9Hq90E.jpg

7LrOki0.jpg

And the most important part, the times. Dann was getting quicker all day, and I was always 2 or three seconds off him. Couldn't work out why, as we have the same amount of track experience, and while my car is lighter, he's got his Billies installed and corner weighted, so equal really.

Turns out, it wasn't a flying lap, it was 2 laps with a standing start! So I put the hammer down and managed to beat him by a solid second.

He was still putting in the laps, getting closer and closer, and by the end of the day, the board was left like this...
J8ETUvE.jpg

I was fastest, followed by Dann, nice to see the Clio's representing.

Cheers to Adam for organising, cannot wait for TFTD2!

Just waiting on the roll center group buy though, then there will be some more spanner updates.

OLL

Renault Clio RS200
Great Read very inspiring will be keeping up with this thread and keep up the good work :) .

I've been busy over the Easter weekend! There were about 80 pics but I've reduced it down to 30 odd...
In my cupboard I've had the Bilstein B14s and before Christmas I sent a spare set of hubs off to @NorthloopCup as part of the group buy for a roll center and bump steer kit.
The old stuff at the back.
S3oFd0q.jpg

New springs & dampers.
cVJE2Ml.jpg

All in. I've since taken the rubbers out fr
om the back so it sits lower.
1qvhT9Z.jpg

Now for the front.
EzmlCVb.jpg

All striped down and a comparison.
abf3H68.jpg

A ballsack for the rose jointed rod ends.
CVEEPfL.jpg

And voila, magically all back together!
VU9nkhC.jpg

Anybody got a nice set of camber/toe settings for a fast road car? I'm getting all the ride heights, corner weights and geo done on Monday.
I was thinking -1.5 deg camber and -0.1' toe?

So while I was doing all this I got a bit carried away, because racecar.

Some for the front bumper, some for the bonnet.
vGLGWHo.jpg

So I fit the pins, which is a bit of a mare because it's not symmetrical. I measured everythign about 40 times and it's still out! :p
8HWmR3Z.jpg

Marked all the holes and drilled them out. Sticky back plastic over the template to hold it in place.
vj1ogyY.jpg

Used a powerfile to smooth the holes, absolutly the best tool for the job here, clean up too seconds.
eVCT0Qg.jpg

Test fit.
99kK1OS.jpg

One in, next one to be drilled but I didn't want them to be uneven, that would be s**t, so loads of measuring and it was lined up!
TFeP8I4.jpg
7DZcBep.jpg

Cut the slot out the same as before, and then drill the bolt holes.
dlQSup7.jpg

Taadaa!
Qb5hTCa.jpg

Next bit was more daunting for some reason, cutting the bonnet skin was daunting, but ultimately I used a dremel with a fibre-reinforced disc and it was all perfect.

I used the bonnet locators to mount the pins, because it's just about the flattest area on the bonnet and you don't need to drill the chassis.
1aQnqAH.jpg

When they were in I drilled the pin holes, masked everything and made a guide to line up the templates.
Measure twice, cut once.
ra7CiVW.jpg

When I was happy with the locations, I drilled some more holes.
lVeZvEp.jpg

And cut them with the dremel.
Wjyj6oA.jpg

Test fit success!
JrEROkT.jpg

Then I hacked up the skin and bolted them in! All edges finished with Hydrate 80 rust inhibitor.
8h65CnX.jpg

And here's how it looks now!
5Zi6BBG.jpg

Z6uZrFb.jpg

bDLQ4m8.jpg

Don't think bodycoloured blanks would help really, would still be a bit cluttered. Also, I really hate painting.

Wheels are far too nice for that. Likely will go for something brake dust coloured. :p

So the car was set up yesterday...
@Cub. I saw your recommendation for Jtech in your thread, they did all the set up for me after I fit it.
I got my first chance at a clear country lane today, one word - Phenomenal. The suspension and roll center kit together is unreal, anyone who was unable to take part in the group buy has missed out.

2 spots available on a private sprint day at Curborough Sprint Track.

We have 13 people, if we get 15, it's £45 and I think we're planning a BBQ for the evening as well.

Let me or @dann2707 know if you want in.

Also, wheel and cage are getting painted this weekend.

Updates!
So the wheels I bought... £30 of Nitromors and they still looked like this...
FdyeyhK.jpg

So I gave in and they've gone off for a refurb, more about that another day...

I thought it would be fun to put a cage in my daily driver! I spoke to the eBay cage man and he very kindly sorted me out. Thought about going Safety Devices, but honestly I don't need this to be blue booked so a carefully installed bolt in will do.

Arrived a few weeks back, I then set up my £20 Go Outdoors 'spray shelter' and got too it.
G48fzUD.jpg

7fpk4Vy.jpg

IAMuZa5.jpg

ED8KKVD.jpg

Skip forward to today.
Stripped the seats, steering wheel and interior from the passenger carpet back.
Txz52zk.jpg

Got the cage in position.
DQI4uPd.jpg

Bolted down.
LWbo8wv.jpg

Trim back in.
FMaoUoH.jpg

And complete!
uMaSGhk.jpg

TjukuqM.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
That's bloody brilliant mate!

Prefer the Speedlines to the OZ though, and not too sure about the bonnet/bumper catches. Otherwise it's a beaut in my eyes.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Your car is getting really serious now. Some fantastic upgrades you have done.

That's bloody brilliant mate!

Prefer the Speedlines to the OZ though, and not too sure about the bonnet/bumper catches. Otherwise it's a beaut in my eyes.

OZ won't be silver for long, so we shall see...

Awesome. Always love your updates harry!

Nice work mate.

Cheers dude!

Your car is getting really serious now. Some fantastic upgrades you have done.

I feel like I can claim it's somewhat original now! The only thing which is really standard is the engine.

Maybe I should do one of those lists that are so popular at the moment...

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
How do you rate the ebay cage mate? Feet and fixings look a little small in the pics?
Car looks very well by the way, lovely colour.

I want to know of the handling has improved with the cage. Noticeably that is.

Also how you are running seatbelts with buckets?

Is the dash airbag light on as well?