ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The future of the internal combustion engine

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Not sure if this is a repost or not, so sorry if it is.

This is quite an interesting watch and could be incredibly cool once it makes its way to production car.

The video both taught me how Cams work and how removing them for actuators makes so much more sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Being able to adjust lift, duration, and advance/r****d e.t.c. individually, infinitely and constantly is a huge development for the engine. Chip would love to get his hands on this.

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
So in theory then, this would eliminate performance cam shafts... you'd simply upload a new profile?

phase 1 flamer 172
Dont formula 1 engines use compressed air to close the valves or something, initially developed by renault??

172 Cup
Awesome.....didn't realise this idea had actually been put into practice! I remember discussing something similar with a mate a couple of years ago!

An orange one
That was a great watch! Mr koeniggsegg is a natural in front of the camera too, he explained it all in laymans terms and made what could have been hard to understand very simple

Astra SRI/ Hornet
There's some clever people in the world. Amazing idea to keep the combustion engine going for years to come.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Brilliant! Simply brilliant!

No timing belt too! That's taking a fundamental weakness from a car/engine and not just improving it but getting rid of it altogether!

Really clever idea.

fiat still have cams iirc, if you're talking about the multi-air engine. Difference with that is its solenoid controlled for varied opening and closing, it still uses a cam which as this guy mentioned is restrictive in itself.

also agree with Colin.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Jaff you're right about the "multi-air" but i'm certain I read an article a while ago about atotally Camless engine being in devolpment by Fiat which is obviously the natural progression from the "multi-air"...

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Jaff you're right about the "multi-air" but i'm certain I read an article a while ago about atotally Camless engine being in devolpment by Fiat which is obviously the natural progression from the "multi-air"...

Ahh right, I wasn't aware.

still properly amazing the things they can do. Makes you wonder why it hasn't been tried in over 100 years.

more power more torque more efficient. Seems silly

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I wonder if the valves are still sprung? If an actuator fails does the valve stay where it is (and potentially get bent) or does it spring back?

Mind you if the TDC sensor f***s up then you could end up with the timing going right out....

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I wonder if the valves are still sprung? If an actuator fails does the valve stay where it is (and potentially get bent) or does it spring back?

Mind you if the TDC sensor f**ks up then you could end up with the timing going right out....

He says they will either be metal springs or air springs so yes they will be sprung

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Yes still sprung... but lets face it if the timing goes out.... whats the worst that could happen?
There no longer a cam lobe on the end of the valve for it to collide with...just a spring... possibility of it still bending... but not as much as a conventional engine.

***i say that like i know what im talking about.. its all best guess!