ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Flamers replacement - Mini Cooper S

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I might. It's just a s**t exhaust unfortunately.

You need to by my newly retrimmed steering wheel....

12250002_10153746144262579_8372414101699136578_n.jpg

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Not great, not terrible. Think I averaged about 36mpg in mine motorway/trips to the shop.

How you getting on with it? Mine was in pretty much the same state when I bought it. Spent £££ on coilovers, exhaust, pulley and the rest only to sell it 6 months later lol. Can be expensive things!

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Still can't tax the f**king thing so dunno much about it yet!
Got any bits left you want to give away?!
Think I've got the standard airbox still but thats about it - could be useful if you wanted to try modding yourself risk free.

Guy I sold it to didnt even look at it so could have just stripped everything.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
So I've finally been able to tax it and drive the bloody thing! Only done 90 miles so far but it's been a pretty mixed 90 miles.

I know it's got a tough act to follow cos obviously loved the flamer but I'm not convinced it's the car for me. It corners really flat, the seat position is better but other than that I'm struggling. And I'm not even sure the flat cornering is what I want! Certainly I feel like I'm going slower than the (stupidly placed) speedo says I am. I'd rather it was the other way round.
It's more refined than I made the Clio but I'd argue that it's less refined than a Clio of the same spec. It's also f**king thirsty compared to the Clio doing the same journies.

I'll give it some time and see what's what. I'm still going to get the new mirrors and boot though. And keep an eye out for a rb182.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I'd love to try one as a track car tbh, they look like a riot. I'm not sure I could have one as a daily, I don't like the look of them all that much, think they look very "soft". I won't say girly because I drive a clio but you know what I mean.

I always thought the opinion was the other way round anyway, that the mini was better standard

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Yeah you've said that before. I'm just not convinced I want to invest that sort of cash in it.
I always thought the opinion was the other way round anyway, that the mini was better standard
Depends what you want really, standard for standard, as a daily, with a bit of luxury, spec & rattles, the mini is better, but for just going for a drive/doing a trackday, the clio is better. When modified, they are two ways of skinning the same cat, boost vs NA, stiffer/heavier shell vs lighter body, cheaper to get power out of, cheaper to get handling better, etc etc etc.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Depends what you want really, standard for standard, as a daily, with a bit of luxury, spec & rattles, the mini is better, but for just going for a drive/doing a trackday, the clio is better. When modified, they are two ways of skinning the same cat, boost vs NA, stiffer/heavier shell vs lighter body, cheaper to get power out of, cheaper to get handling better, etc etc etc.
That is true.

When I sell the GP, I will be making a fake GP. Its just that much fun.

Just need to find a good late Cooper S with LSD and HK as I like tunes haha.

17% Pulley, Airtec cooler, Works exhaust and some Gaz golds. Perfect track car.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Lol I dont think I ever cleaned mine. The thirst is just something you haver to get used to - I never got anywhere near the 172 Cup in terms of MPG. I disagree with the above and think the MCS actually has far more rattles (especially from the rear) than the RS clio - or mine did anyway.

Dont do what I did - chuck a load of money at it then immediately sell it lol. Its very easy to spend quite a chunk.

Best colour you've got btw.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah I'm worried about doing! Think I'll do the pulley and DIY the airbox and if I'm still not sure about it I'll shift it on then. I'm not too worried by the mpg, my commute is only 9 miles each way and any longer journeys that I'll do in it I'll get my mileage for. Just surprisingly s**t for a 1.6!

Picked up a couple of non broken visors last night along with the mirrors, boot and boot carpet. Most boring photos ever!

From

4A5AABB0-DB40-42BD-B9BD-FF242DA14ACB_zpscq973df9.jpg

To

FF7ACE9B-C007-49B1-91A0-489A825913A0_zpsc5bodysu.jpg

A53E541C-D43E-4BA6-ADAE-8DCED7BA7FF7_zpssn7judbq.jpg

Peugeot 308
These bloody bootlids make me laugh, BMW have a 12 year corrosion warranty.. Could have been sorted a long time ago for free rather than fillered up.

I think personally, if you are unsure of the car at this stage, I would keep your money in the bank.

Yes a pulley and airbox will make increase power and sound but is that likely to really change how you feel about the car?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I know, daft eh? The new boot doesn't have a tinted window and does have a chrome strip. I'll be happy to lose the tint and just swap the strip over. I'll take the tints off the side rears too, I'm not massively fussed by them and they're properly dark!

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm really in 2 minds but finding a Clio I want and in the right condition for the right price is tricky. So maybe I'm best perservering at this. It defo needs more power though!
I guess part of the problem is the flamer is a car I wanted for years and years and then spent 8.5 years making it mine. I've always thought a mini is alright but can't say I was desperate for one and I've only had it on the road a week. @Djw Dave has to constantly try and talk sense into me with it too!

Peugeot 308
What made you shift on the Clio? Boredom, fancy a change?

I have been looking at 1*2's, although I'm not sure if I actually want one .. There is a massive lack of decent examples around.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It got to the point where it was piss or get off the pot. If I didn't have the responsibilities that I do I would 100% have got a loan and sorted it all out. But that's not fair on the wife and daughter. I'd rather go on holiday with them than make the Clio mint and then worry about using it in the way I always have and ruining it.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Must admit I feel the same way about my MCS... haven't really bonded with it yet. Mainly though, I think that's because I kept the 182 longer than any car before (4 years) and modded to (my) perfection. Whereas the MCS is pretty much totally standard and atm I can't afford to do anything about it!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just for reference, I don't really like minis when they have standard power, but the difference between 200bhp/good brakes and a normal one is monumental! I fitted a pulley to mine, then loved it so much I bought a GP1 lol ...

My comparison for that is I can't imagine ever liking a Laguna, but with my old running in the 230-240bho range it certainly changed my mind a lot! Maybe the same will happen with this.

Must admit I feel the same way about my MCS... haven't really bonded with it yet. Mainly though, I think that's because I kept the 182 longer than any car before (4 years) and modded to (my) perfection. Whereas the MCS is pretty much totally standard and atm I can't afford to do anything about it!

Yeah, similar situation then. How long have you had yours now?

Mod it ya big poof!!

You make a compelling argument!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
i think with around 200bhp a mini would be a fun motor, standard power with the weight of them just isnt enough. always fancied a s works or gp.

Interesting read. Funny you have the hidden rust.... I took some stripes of a suzuki swift for my niece the other weekend, surprised to find an inch circle of bare metal, an attempted rust repair. They then decided f**k paint, I just cover it with vinyl. Lol

Hope you get on with the car. I loved mine. The increased charger whine from a custom air intake instantly increases your love by 10x

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
These don't seem to attract the shafts of w**k round here either - I've yet to see one driven by a bell - unless they really are that slow :)

Couple of major fucktards in 182's round here though!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
So just did a quick experiment to see how it would sound with the stealth IK fitted. God that whine is annoying. Like really properly irritating. f**k it, boot is going to get fitted, the back seats put back in and its getting sold.

There's actually nothing wrong with the car at all but I f**king hate it! Its so meh, I'd genuinely rather sell it and but some £500 shitter to knock about in until I find something I like rather than have all my money tied up in it.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yup, certainly has! I really wanted to like it and really expected to with all the hype about them. Theres maybe the right car hiding underneath it but I just dont think its for me.

Not a clue! £3000 max, fast, fun, can chuck 4 tyres and wheels in the boot.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yup, certainly has! I really wanted to like it and really expected to with all the hype about them. Theres maybe the right car hiding underneath it but I just dont think its for me.

Not a clue! £3000 max, fast, fun, can chuck 4 tyres and wheels in the boot.
I've always thought that they looked like brilliant fun so it's a shame to hear that.

Only things that spring to mind are EP3 and 225 Meg.

If you've never tried an EP3 they're worth a go, steering isn't as bad as anyone makes out, they handle well, gearbox is sublime, much better built than a Clio and you can get a far amount out of the engine for an NA car, easily see north of 200 bhp. FRSU (Fast Road Set Up) makes a world of difference to the way they drive too. Very capable car.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I seem to be the only person who hates them tbf so my opinion isn't necessarily to be listened to! EP3 is a strong contender, I'd quite like a decent shot of 1 before buying but I don't know anyone with one anymore! The 225 is out, been there done that, probably still paying that credit card back!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Driven a few and really like them. You do seriously need a proper go in one with a FRSU, it makes SO much difference that it's untrue. I think they've aged really well too in the looks department.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'll ask around, don't really want to go miles and miles to view one and then not like it. Trying hard to not just buy another clio but it seems inevitable!