ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The everlasting ph1 ITB Build **GREEN-BUILD STARTS AT PAGE 100**

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I would be tempted to go a little darker than RB blue something like Jazz blue you got the mk4 golf in .

images.jpg

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I would be tempted to go a little darker than RB blue something like Jazz blue you got the mk4 golf in .
That grey one looks smart :wink:

Hi both, please take it as a nod of appreciation to your colours...
Not sure on that Jazz blue tbh @neil a and think I have gone off the light blue,
The grey does look smart @Alex__ however I kind of feel that if I am spending a fair bit of money getting it painted I want to see quite a difference, thats why I think the grey and white might be out the window. I think it is between literally 2 colours now

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE:

With a date agreed for the car to go into fabrication I needed to get things sorted. I am unsure if/how much time I will have to sort things between fab and paint, such as the bonnets aero catches, the roof scoop and the composite door and boot panels, I want to minimise drilling holes in fresh paint as much as possible - this will be a discussion with both parties shortly.

Other bits I had to do though included removing all the interior parts from mock up back to bare shell, marking up all the blemishes/holes to be fabricated and then some more lightening/trimming of the shell and panels. I am still to look at one area of the engine bay but the other item on my mind was the rear bumper. With the flat floor fitted a while back there was a lot or rear bumper left effectively exposed as a parachute... this would not do.

With the thought that I would need to cut the composite panels, the bonnet and roof I thought I ought to invest in a Dremel, and that is what I should of invested in first time... instead I went for the Euro Car Part Am tech version....

IMG_6637.jpg

I opened it and looked at it... and that is when I think the motor gave up... it did tickle 1cm of the bumper but then died... needless to say it has gone back.
IMG_6638.jpg

I decided to just go very careful and use my normal grinder/cutting disc, which in the end turned out alright... pretty pleased with the results tbh.
Before
IMG_6636.jpg

After
35920BED-DF70-4C50-B5AE-D78637FEBB59.JPG

The rear bumper now sits perfectly inline with the boot floor and should massively aid air flow. (just need to purchase the actual Dremel now).
I also sorted my parts stash as whilst the car goes away the engine will also be going away for its cambelt and service, now the engine can go away with a box of parts all cleaned and freshly painted so all is ready to go back in when the car is back.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Can I just say, I'm building my second track car In as long as its took you to get from mattress rolling this to now LOL :wink: :kissingheart:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Realise I deleted my double post and my post has now gone :smile: cut away bumper looks great, can't wait to see it finished as I am sure you can't, what exhaust are you going to run? Don't know whether I have missed in previously :up:

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Can I just say, I'm building my second track car In as long as its took you to get from mattress rolling this to now LOL :wink: :kissingheart:

You have probably done it the correct way - ie not gone OTT on the prep, hence having the time and being able to afford a second go at it... ha.. perhaps I should consider scrapping this idea again

Realise I deleted my double post and my post has now gone :smile: cut away bumper looks great, can't wait to see it finished as I am sure you can't, what exhaust are you going to run? Don't know whether I have missed in previously :up:

Cheers. Not decided on the rear exhaust manufacturer yet but expect it will be a custom job as I know the specs I want. 2.5" all the way through, central rear exit with straight cut tip.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
You have probably done it the correct way - ie not gone OTT on the prep, hence having the time and being able to afford a second go at it... ha.. perhaps I should consider scrapping this idea again
Cheers. Not decided on the rear exhaust manufacturer yet but expect it will be a custom job as I know the specs I want. 2.5" all the way through, central rear exit with straight cut tip.

Sounds good, that's why I asked as I thought it would open up centre exit etc. with the flat boot floor and the shortened bumper, look forward to seeing it :up:

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
You have probably done it the correct way - ie not gone OTT on the prep, hence having the time and being able to afford a second go at it... ha.. perhaps I should consider scrapping this idea again.

The first time around was just about doing it right and not going over the top, it does help when you have Mr Fox helping you out though, with what seems to be an infinite fountain of knowledge. This second one is all about the prep and executing the project to the very level I want, it will still be on that blurred line between track car and show car. It's getting a full detail once complete 😅

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
The first time around was just about doing it right and not going over the top, it does help when you have Mr Fox helping you out though, with what seems to be an infinite fountain of knowledge. This second one is all about the prep and executing the project to the very level I want, it will still be on that blurred line between track car and show car. It's getting a full detail once complete 😅

Lets see how quick you turn it around...
Mr Fox is indeed (from what I gather) a bit of a fountain of knowledge, I need to tempt some of my friends to get involved as they are both indeed very knowledgable - I will see what I can do.. that will help with speed of re-assembly

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
HELP NEEDED.

For the few people that read this thread I am asking for the following help/knowledge.
With the rebuild of the car happening shortly I am thinking about replacing a lot of the Nuts/bolts etc etc. Is anyone aware of a comprehensive list of what I would need throughout the car?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE:
Quite a large update spanning a fair bit of time. As previously mentioned a date was agreed for fabrication and with looming closer there were a few more jobs I could do (funnily I had never even thought about these before). After checking around various threads I noticed I could lose a little bit more metal in the engine bay, so out came the spot weld drill bit and the grinder...

BEFORE AND AFTER
IMG_6654.jpg
IMG_6656.jpg

I then noticed the arch liner mount holes in the wheel arches were still there, so they disappeared too
IMG_6665.jpg
IMG_6666.jpg

Next up was the front bumper. Way back when I did the tour of Europe the car suffered a little from the heat, I think this was dealt with when I returned but I thought I would make provisions for this anyways. With the car having the custom airbox and radiator (that sits vertically rather than horizontally) I set about creating better airflow to the rad straight through the bumper and front bar.

IMG_6659.jpg
IMG_6661.jpg
IMG_6663.jpg

That was pretty much it for butchering the car. I fitted up the front and rear bumpers to make sure all was good and to keep things all together for moving the shell. I then went to fit the bonnet and was quickly reminded that many years ago a bolt sheared in the bonnet so had to speak to my neighbour nicely again. I say again because the same night he helped out with a helicoil to sort the bonnet he also dropped around my repaired sump. A little while back I purchased @BIGASH's looms and along with that came the sump with an extra sensor welded in, however there was a little bit of damage where I think something in the engine tried finding a new way out... My neighbour was kind enough to get this welded so this just needs to be switched for the sump currently on the block.

IMG_6733.jpg
IMG_6734.jpg

That brings me up to the start of this week and preparing for moving the car to the fabricators.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
The night before moving the shell I needed to move everything out from underneath the car, I also wanted to move anything that was too close. It was all stack at one end of the garage allowing lots of movement around the shell. The following morning nice and early I was joined by @BIGASH and a flatbed truck I hired. I opened up the front garage doors for what must be the first time in 2 years.

IMG_6738.jpg

The flatbed driver brought a dolly which we placed under the rear end of the shell, we then lifted the front end - NICE AND LIGHT. It came out of the garage pretty easy and then went onto the flatbed not that much harder...with the help from a winch.

IMG_6740.JPG

The journey was only short to the fabricator and all went well. The shell was moved into the fabricators workshop and we talked over the plan of action.This was really handy as we could talk over thoughts about how the cage would fit, how some of the metal inside of the car would be changed and timings - I must say I am very happy I am now heading down this route than having to rely on my neighbour.

The fabricator has been keeping in-touch and letting me know the progress of the build, all is going well and I will be heading over between Christmas and New Year with the seat to make sure the harness bars are welded in at the correct height. At this point it will also be discussed when the car is going into paint (conveniently next door to the fabricator) and the complications around that.

I say complications, meaning the fitment of some extra panels. Straight after dropping the car off I then headed north to CCF fibreglass and picked up my fibreglass doors and tailgate. I am currently awaiting my fibreglass spoiler and early roof scoop from CM composites also. These will all need fitting to the shell however are going to take some work to trim and fit, for hinges, catches, aero catches etc so it will be agreed with the fabricator and painter when this can happen.

Right up-to-date now to today. With an empty garage it gives me room to organise my parts and work on them. I have set them out in three areas (left to right): RUNNING GEAR, ENGINE and PANEL FITTING.
Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 00.41.32.png

There are a number of jobs that I need to complete whilst the car is away, ready for the rebuild when the shell is back (listed below):

1. DOOR AND TAILGATE TRIMMING. The doors and tailgate are total blanks so they need holes cutting for all items to be fitted including mirrors, handles, trims, hinges and catches although my main consideration is how I am going to fit the windows. All these need to be done asap as these panels need to be dropped off and test fitted at the painters early in January. To help me along with this work I knocked up a stand to work on the panels (should save my back).
IMG_6756.jpg
IMG_6758.jpg

2. ENGINE BUILD. The engine needs to have a new cambelt fitted, the new repair sump and then all the gubbins bolted back on. I will be speaking to Beaniesport about this and either taking it down to there workshop or asking them to come to my garage. Ideally this needs to happen in January so that the engine is ready to go back in when the shell is back.

3. RUNNING GEAR. The idea is to build up the rear beam and front sub frames respectively with all the suspension etc so that when the shell comes back this can all be bolted straight on - I may even take the rear beam with me and bolt it on at the body shop meaning it should be easier to move on the return journey.

All of the above mean a lot of work and a fair few items I need to purchase. Christmas really needs to be done with as I think January is going to be a very very busy month.

Simon@ASTUK

ClioSport Trader
  BMW E30 M3
In all seriousness mate glad you a cracking on with it, you’ll drive it and the build time will all be forgotten.

Megane R26
little UPDATE:
Managed to get a bit more time on the headlights this week, proper effort to get these done, and although they are not 100% they are a hell of a lot better than they were, and fine for a track car... all sealed and drying.

View attachment 1278864

Random post revival but what did you use to reseal them?
My ph1 lights are discoloured on the inside so I want to give that a go.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE:
Progress has been a little slow over the festive period with various family gigs but a few little bits have been done. I would have liked to have done more but I have found I don't have the correct tools or it has been way too cold (like today). At the tail end of last week my last composite items arrived so I could start looking at these, including the old school shape roof scoop (much preferred to the new shape), a template for this has been mocked up ready to aid fitting to the car.

IMG_6771.JPG

I have started mocking up some of the extra fittings on the composite panels. The first and probably the easiest item was the rear boot badge. I also needed to sand back some high spots in the panel.

IMG_6763.jpg

Without the car being here it is hard to see where I need to cut the top for the mounting, but this can probably wait until I go to the car and fit the aerocatches (ordered with the ebay 20% discount today). However I do need to fit the new spoiler which I am a little unsure how to approach as it is hollow inside. ANYBODY?

IMG_6770.JPG

Next up after the tailgate was the doors and the rubbing strips. Initially I wasn't going to run the rubbing strips however where the holes would be in the composite panel these were a little messy, so I have decided to keep them. I measure and marked these up and set about trimming them. Then followed by the 3 holes for the wing mirrors.

IMG_6765.jpg

IMG_6766.jpg

That brings me up to today. I did start the day with the plan of looking at the latch mechanisms however when i got out to the garage:
(1) it was bloody freezing and my hands were suffering, also acknowledged by these tiny little clips in the mechanism breaking
(I hope renault sell them, anyone any ideas?)

IMG_6777.JPG

(2) I didn't feel I had the right tools to be cutting these areas out, Cue ordering a Dremel and some Diamond cutting blades. I probably also need to see a blank door to see how the areas have been cut. I also need to sort some hinges for the composite doors (someone was looking at cutting these out for me, but I think they are struggling so I may have to go new).

I decided to look at the next best thing and issue I have to overcome. A few years back I ordered some ACW Motorsport windows. When I picked up the composite doors I noticed that there was no ability to drop the windows into the door apertures (as the glass ones do). I believe the windows will have to be mounted to the frame left around the edge, meaning I need to trim down my windows a fair bit.

I first marked and cut a template to the same size as my current window. I then put this over the aperture in the door and trimmed it to fit, this was them transferred back to the window and marked up, sure enough though I do not have the right tools to cut this again so again I have ordered a jigsaw and lexan cutting blades.... frustrating.

IMG_6778.JPG
IMG_6779.JPG

So very cold and frustrated it has been left. I really need to be as far ahead as possible with these composite panels as they will need to go with the car to paint which will probably be in the next week or 2, however I don't think that is going to be the case at present as I am away on holiday for a week on Saturday. I have hopefully ordered all the tools I need though + the aerocatches so when I am back on the 6th I can crack on.

I am popping down to the fabricators tomorrow to talk over the harness bar placement, whilst I am there I will be talking things through with the painter to so hopefully that will put my mind at rest a bit. I will try and get some pictures of the cage build whilst there.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Coming along nicely. Are they CMC doors and boot?
Have they stopped doing he CupRacer shape roof scoop?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Coming along nicely. Are they CMC doors and boot?
Have they stopped doing he CupRacer shape roof scoop?

CMC stopped doing the doors and tailgate. These are from CCF and are quite different I believe. They seem stronger in some areas but tbh really not sure on the window fitting (but can for sure see how this makes the door stronger).

I got the mrk2 cup racer scoop from CMC. I don’t think it is on their website, but I spoke to Chris about it.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE:
As mentioned with my posts yesterday about frustratingly not being able to proceed this was playing on my mind. Basically I did not want to be holding up the fabricator or painter.
I was meant to be meeting with the fabricator today however this got cancelled which as put my mind at rest a little bit. With going away this week coming this may put back the build a bit but will possibly give me a bit more chance when I return to tie up the bits my side (I hope).

Instead today I have spent the majority of the day looking up and ordering parts. A much pricier alternative but at some point the money needed to be spent. Hopefully these items will be awaiting me upon my return:

Ordered yesterday
Aerocatches x2 (for bonnet and tailgate)
Dremel diamond cutter (to cut tailgate and door panels)
Lexan saw blade (to cut the windows down to size)

Ordered today
Pro-line Motorsport internal brake line kit with bulkhead fittings and Tilton lever bias valve
Powerflex Black rear beam bushes
Powerflex Black steering rack bushes
Nimbus heatshield (small)
Mocal Fuel hose (to pair between fuel filler and tank).

Outstanding, but needed asap (not including engine build)
Door hinges (may have to be Renault although they are pricey)
Door latch plastic clips (may have to be Renault)
Solid top mounts

The £££ are starting to add up...

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I'd use a proper body sealant to bond the spoiler on, the stuff I've used in the pass is Tiger seal, it comes In white and black and bonds like fook once cured.

1d21e01122e1321901df03de4e15b357.jpg

John Lindsay

ClioSport Club Member
  PH2 RS182
Just read the last 10/15 pages of this thread. What a rollercoaster!

Think I may have seen this car on Facebook but haven’t been able to pick up your full name from the posts.

Now following, look forward to seeing more updates. My car is going away for it’s cage early in the new year too.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Tiger seal is what you want for bonding stuff on they even do it in Euro car parts now.
Can you not just cut some hinges from a scrap door?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Follow it from the beginning You have a lot of endurance over the years much success continues
Love this build!
good to see progress coming mr bone :smile:

Cheers all, I visited the fabricator today and it is going well. I am sure some images will pop up at some point... I'll just say he is known on here and is pretty damn handy
Fabrication should be done by Wednesday morning and then the car is moving to the painters.... I really need to crack on with the composite panels now...

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cheers all, I visited the fabricator today and it is going well. I am sure some images will pop up at some point... I'll just say he is known on here and is pretty damn handy
Fabrication should be done by Wednesday morning and then the car is moving to the painters.... I really need to crack on with the composite panels now...
The guy who built the space framed pug 205 by any chance?

172 Cup
I always wonder, how do you weld the crosses on the outside?

You mean where they're shrouded by the A & B pillars?

You don't tack or weld the main roll hoops to the footplates until after fully welding all the roof & door bars, otherwise in most cases you'll never get the torch in the gap to complete the weld.