ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Cup made my day :)

GW Clio 200

I have just cancelled my order with Peugeot for my GTI 180 and have decided to go buy me a Cup 172.

I took it for a test drive today and was absaloutely and totally overawed by its speed. I blasted along a couple of roads that were almost empty and I have to say it frightened the life out me. Its the Mike Tyson of hot hatches, with its small but bulky frame, it has attitude and a Knockout punch.

What I really enjoyed was the fact that it feels so light yet holds the road like it has an invisble weight forcing it to the ground, the road holding is absaloutely fantastic.

The fact is that this little car has made a very bad week turn out to be not so bad at all.:D

172 Cup

Glad to hear you liked it! Not heard that many rave reveiws about the Pug so I doubt you will regret your decision.

Nice one, I was dumbstruck on my test drive! (then you get used to the power and want more!) ;)

Evo did a comparison a few months back and said:

" If the Peugeot has got 180BHP, then the CUP must have 200BHP"!!

Suffice to say they preferred the Cup.

Weeman sucks ****

I must agree, although a tad biassed as I already have a cup. I did test drive a 180 the other month. It doesnt feel as responsive, probably due to those big wheels. Nice choice mate.

As the bloke above said, EVO presented a really balanced test between the two, and they reckoned for driving enjoyment the CUP had it licked- not just the power, but also handling, steering, commuication, behavior over the limit, everything.

Seen off 2 standard WRXs as well in mine- and you want to have seen their faces mate. 330cis dont even get a look in.

GW Clio 200

Quote: Originally posted by dash on 14 November 2003

Good to hear. Did you test the PUG and how better is the Cup?
I cant give an honest opinion because when I tested the Pug it only had a few miles on the clock.

The 180 feels at least a ton heavier than the cup, it does not pack the punch at all and I cannot emphasise on this enough the pedals are so close together its terrifying when trying to stop as you almost always hit the acceleration pedal along with the brake

I previously had a 206 and this is a fault on them all, so I know I cant wear certain shoes or boots when driving it, I was used ti it. But when you buy a car that you wanna boot from time to time you wanna know that your gonna stop, this was one of my biggest concerns. My wife liked it alot so I kinda just stuck with it.

The 180 has a great interior and has all the creature comforts I originally wanted, CC, ESP, EBA,ABCDEFG and so on......... and all in all its a great car with good looks.

But hey, we buy these cars to have fun and I have to say the Cup comes packed full of Great fun and you have to say that the Cup delivers more smile per mile than anything in its price range and above.

BTW got to get Climate Control in it though, our summers are too hot and last too long not to have it..

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by .:xTreme:. on 14 November 2003

BTW got to get Climate Control in it though, our summers are too hot and last too long not to have it..
What country are you in?

172 Cup

"our summers are too hot and last too long not to have it.."

You in the UK mate? I know we had a few hot days.

GW Clio 200

I dont know about up North cause my mates up there say the weather is sh*te but down in the South East of England its becoming tropical.

I live in Gravesnd Kent and this year we broke the record for having the hottest place in Britain "Twice" in one year.

If you have had a car with air con you just cannot go back to having a car without it.

GW Clio 200

lol

FFS its hot when your travelling through London of an evening whille temperatures hit over a 100 C and you have tarts walking about in the skimpiest of clothing, believe me I get HOT

Anyway do you think that having CC fitted is that bad a thing??

i wanted an arctic pack fitted, heated seats mirrors etc, but was told my geordie passport would be revoked if i carried on being such a wimp. So back to wearing a t shirt all year round and battling with hypothermia

there was nothing more that could be fitted when i bought the car it had ac leather etc, it came as seen. i have no idea what lovely toys can be fitted to the new generation of 172s and cups. But i will start looking someday as everyone seems to get better toys now. If only i could get those toys to fit in mine as i prefer lool of the mk1 172, but not to the point to pass up a new car

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

I have just cancelled my order with Peugeot for my GTI 180 and have decided to go buy me a Cup 172.
[falls off chair]

Well f*ck me backwards!!! :eek:

Youre the last person I expected to get a Cup after all the sh!t Ive had off you on the Peugeot Sport Club forum in the past few weeks...

GW Clio 200

ROFLMAO

It was you who actually got me to finally give it a test and I have to say Im glad I did. Its awesome........

Now you can kick me when Im down or allow me to wollow in humiliation.....

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

It was you who actually got me to finally give it a test and I have to say Im glad I did. Its awesome........
My work is done here... :D

Now you can kick me when Im down or allow me to wollow in humiliation.....
No, youve learnt your lesson! ;)

So... you went for blue I take it?!

GW Clio 200

lol Rich.........and thanx :embarrassed: :)

I live in Gravesend ( dont know if you know it) and I tested it in Northfleet around the Bluewater area, the car was fooking awesome in terms of delivery of power, I threw it around some roads that fortunately where empty and had a scream!!! I literally tapped the throttle and the noise of that engine boomed, and I was catapulted to the back of my seat.

I have know decided that I dont want anything to spoil the fun of this car and if I could have it any more bareboned I would, so Climate Control is out the window. I dont want anything distorting the power and fun Im going to have with this little "pocket rocket", I now know what that term really means

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

I have know decided that I dont want anything to spoil the fun of this car and if I could have it any more bareboned I would, so Climate Control is out the window. I dont want anything distorting the power and fun Im going to have with this little "pocket rocket", I now know what that term really means
My God... youve gone all "hardcore" on me now too... what gives?! ;)

For your info, the climate control system actually adds an extra 25kg to the weight of the car (Renaults own figure), and it does always sap a small amount of power from the engine, plus you "might" not be able to get the R-Sport ECU (not 100% on this), so I decided not to get climate either.

You can actually strip more weight from the Cup and get it down to under a tonne if you really wanted, but you may as well just increase the power.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Hardcore baby!! Ive seen the light :)
Well, it aint "proper" hardcore, remember Ive had a 306 Rallye and they really are basic, but the Cup manages to save loads of weight and you still get a decent spec...

GW Clio 200

I cant get over how impressed I was. I am currently driving my sisters 1.2 Dynamique and I have grown very fond of it. Having now tested the Cup I am smitten. There is nothing I dont like, and I particularly like the fact that when you press the brake its only the brake you press and not the accelerator with it, as with the Pug, what the use in have ABS and ESP if you cant actually hit the brake. It was always my MAJOR contention

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

I do like the the 206, I wanted one, but the Cup was the car for me... and now you...

What I really enjoyed was the fact that it feels so light yet holds the road like it has an invisble weight forcing it to the ground, the road holding is absaloutely fantastic.

Yeh until there is the slightest amount of moisture on the road!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

got to get Climate Control in it though, our summers are too hot and last too long not to have it..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we have a freak hot summer next year then I will sell my Cup - but I love it and probably wont. I bet it pi55es down with rain next year and everyone will be talking about ABS - yawn yawn. Open your windows in the summer! Its quite easy!

GW Clio 200

Yeah

I ordered my car on Saturday and will be picking it up Monday 24th Nov. I have actually opted to go without CC, I kinda like the rawness it has without the toys. I was going to buy the GTI 180 but I must say, Im kinda glad my dealer pissed me about that much that I changed. The Cup is DynamiTe

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by .:xTreme:. on 17 November 2003

I ordered my car on Saturday and will be picking it up Monday 24th Nov
Good lad! ;)