ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Clio will "have it in the twisties"...

182 Cup
Is there really that much difference between the cornering abilities of today's cars? Taken from Evo's fast club 2004 (it's taken a while to write this post) - A line of eight cones, 75ft apart. Get from one end to the other in the fastest time possible.

The results:

GT3 RS - 8.01sec
Elise 111R - 8.01sec
R500 Evo - 8.01sec
Clio 182 - 8.51sec
350z - 8.52sec
T350C - 8.53sec
DB9 - 8.54sec
Evo 260 - 8.63sec
Gallardo - 8.67sec
Monaro - 8.77sec
Cayenne - 8.79sec
Focus 1.6 zetec - 8.90sec
SL600 - 9.09sec

The way I see it, the average old Focus isn't miles off the pace of the quickest car in the test, so when people say that a 182 or any other car for that matter is the 'king of the twisties' is it just a load of rubbish?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I hate when people mention "in the twisties"

I swear, if the romans start building our roads again the Renault Sport owners are fucked

White clique
i guess cars have decent torque available at different rev levels and an 8 second sprint offers a limited view, but that is an eye opener for sure!

audi a6 3.0tdi
This was my argument when i said that my vectra didn't seem any slower than the clio across country lanes. I think a lot of it is down to the driver now rather than the cars.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Shows how good the focus is. It punches well above its weight as does the clio to a lesser extent.
That's only one test though and on a good road there is a much bigger variation in corners.

Nippy white cup
I always say that it all depends on the road/track/situation. On a tightish short track something like a 106/saxo would perform well...get it on somewhere with longer straights (maybe donny) and the smaller engines will show their weakness against the big boys.

Even though I love the handling on my car and love a good b road blast I tend to have more plays on dual carriageways where neither of us are tempted to push to far leading to an accident

Chris

Was a 197
there is 1 masterful car missing, and it just happens to be best handling car, ever anyone guess wot it is???

182 Cup
PMSL!!!!!!!!!!

That test shows f**k all

Not quite true. They explain it all quite well in the full write up. They go on to say it shows just how good the 350z, DB9 and Evo 260 are to be up there with such a light, short wheel base car as the 182 in this sort of test.

RS 172
I hate when people mention "in the twisties"

I swear, if the romans start building our roads again the Renault Sport owners are f**ked

hahaha:lolup:

I love the stories about how an impreza beat me off the lights, but dont worry... i get him in the twisties... ( Oh no you wont! )

Makes me mad!!

An original Mini would probably beat all of those cars. It's test of low speed agility and a short wheelbase, light car will probably always win.

Racing Blue 182 Cup
its not a great test of handling is it really!
either way, to pull half a second difference or more over the tiny course is a lot.
over a decent distance that will turn into a huge difference.

BG182®
Surely a lap around a small track would show more about the cornering abilites of a car, then going around a few cones etc.

182 Cup
Surely a lap around a small track would show more about the cornering abilites of a car, then going around a few cones etc.

The problem with a lap around a track though is that power will also come into it. The test they conducted is a great leveller that effectively tests just the front end grip and ability of the chassis to deal with weight transfer.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The problem with a lap around a track though is that power will also come into it. The test they conducted is a great leveller that effectively tests just the front end grip and ability of the chassis to deal with weight transfer.

But when in the real world, or even on a track will power NOT come into it?

With a line of cones evenly spaced you're not going to be braking or accelerating, so it's really about which car can change direction fastest at a relatively low speed which effectively gives a disadvantage to all of the supercars there.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Aerodynamics is irrelevant in that test too, The downforce developed from supercars allows them to corner so much faster than your average road car in the real world. All that shows is which car can change direction fastest at low speed which isn't a measure of anything useful in the real world.

I doubt you'll be finding lamborghini's down at the local maccy d's carpark see'ing who can weave between the lamp posts the quickest.

Is there really that much difference between the cornering abilities of today's cars? Taken from Evo's fast club 2004 (it's taken a while to write this post) - A line of eight cones, 75ft apart. Get from one end to the other in the fastest time possible.

The results:

GT3 RS - 8.01sec
Elise 111R - 8.01sec
R500 Evo - 8.01sec
Clio 182 - 8.51sec
350z - 8.52sec
T350C - 8.53sec
DB9 - 8.54sec
Evo 260 - 8.63sec
Gallardo - 8.67sec
Monaro - 8.77sec
Cayenne - 8.79sec
Focus 1.6 zetec - 8.90sec
SL600 - 9.09sec

The way I see it, the average old Focus isn't miles off the pace of the quickest car in the test, so when people say that a 182 or any other car for that matter is the 'king of the twisties' is it just a load of rubbish?

Its not a real world test. Its only 600ft in total (a mile is 5280ft) for a start! Nevermind they are uniform corners which dont exisit in the real world and supercars are not about blasting down an A road. You would expect smaller nibbler cars to perform better at this type of test.

53 Clio's & counting
its a tough subject to talk about really, i mean yeah clio's do hang on well, and handle well, and they give the confidence to push on than some other cars do, i mean an impreza WILL corner as fast as a clio (on most roads) but have to be pushed alot harder to do so (im an ex scooby owner) but the Clio does it in more of a stable fashion, i mean the clio has a good combo of a decent wheelbase, good throw of power and light weight, which will always bode well.

though we all know a 172 cup will destroy anything in the world in the twistes, known fact TBH

Driving round 8 cones for 8 seconds is mcdonalds car park stuff. Evo is a magazine for people with nothing better to do than waste 5 pounds on more journalistic rubbish. They print this crap because people believe it and buy the magazines and then argue about it on forums. Thats why the owner of evo mag drives round in a zonda, and you all have clios.

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
Driving round 8 cones for 8 seconds is mcdonalds car park stuff. Evo is a magazine for people with nothing better to do than waste 5 pounds on more journalistic rubbish. They print this crap because people believe it and buy the magazines and then argue about it on forums. Thats why the owner of evo mag drives round in a zonda and you all have clios.

And a Trophy:cool:

Was a 197
thats why i think the top gear power is more true as the track has a good mixof straights and series of corners, Hammer Head FTW!!!

isn't this test just a part of a series that EVO used to use to rate cars? i think they had a time-exposed-to-danger overtaking one and a lap of a circuit, amongst others - then they'd tot it all up and score the car

the slalom one might give you an idea of how handy a car might be in an Autotest or similar (but that's about it). you'd never use something as lumpy as some of those on an Autotest but, having said that, the Clio's not really suitable either, due to chocolate gearbox (and rear disc handbrake)

Hmm interesting subject.

Personally the car is epic threw the corners. But it's really down to the driver, it's down to the driver having the confidence to push the car to the limit needed.

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
We need to remember there are two major factors when it comes to cornering, handling and grip which are to completely different things.

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Imo its all about the driver in the real word. with in reason that is, cant see a reliant robin keeping up with a evo6.