ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Black iPhone 5.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Afternoon!

Orange have offered me a deal I can't really refuse to upgrade early to the iPhone 5 from my 4s.

Now I face the choice of which colour. I did read a few articles on release about the black iPhone 5 being prone to chipping/scratches. Can anyone shed any of their own personal experience now they've owned one for a few months?

Thanks in advance!
Brookie.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Afternoon!

Orange have offered me a deal I can't really refuse to upgrade early to the iPhone 5 from my 4s.

Now I face the choice of which colour. I did read a few articles on release about the black iPhone 5 being prone to chipping/scratches. Can anyone shed any of their own personal experience now they've owned one for a few months?

Thanks in advance!
Brookie.

What's the deal? I'm due an upgrade from EE too.

The slate back is a little prone to marks. If I look at mine under LED light, I can see marks in it, but I'm being super picky tbh.

They don't scratch badly, from the looks of it.

It does mark a fair bit easier than the Iphone4. I literally knocked mine slightly and its chipped twice. Got a case now though and not a mark since.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Mine had a pin prick chip straight out of the box.

No chips since a bought a case lol.

I'm of the opinion that some early handsets suffered from poor quality anodising. An issue that will since have been rectified. To an extent at least.

Of course if you keep your phone in a pocket with a handful of keys, it's gonna get scratched. Some people are just beyond help, really.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Mine has got zero marks on it as I never used it before I had a case. If it gets marked from now so be it, only a phone.

dk

911 GTS Cab
yes it does scratch easy and the corners especially are prone to denting and taking the layer of paint off, each of my corners has a mark, and my previous iPhones have been pristine and never marked, so I'm not a 'r****d'.

Bux

Golf GTD
I'm looking at getting the black iPhone 5 next week and have been wondering about the back being easily marked. Those if you with cases, are you having any issues of trapped dust within the case causing marks around the edges? As that's a problem I have with my genuine apple bumper on my iPhone 4.

clio mk 2 5 door
the black looks 10x smarter than white. the screen and phone look like one where as the white is a bit mis match! get a case and you wont have a problem

AB 182 w/Recaros
I have a black iPhone 5, and despite having a case i have managed to get a very small chip next to the lock button. I think it was from my keys being in the same pocket. Its not massive but i notice it because i know its there. This may be a reason to get the white, however the black is smarter IMO!

AB 182 w/Recaros
i pay £35 a month for it and i hardley notice it leave my bank - and i absolutly love it literally cant fault it apart from the battery life. Great phone well worth it. Oh and i didn't put it in the pocket with my keys on purpose guess i forgot they were in there.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
i pay £35 a month for it and i hardley notice it leave my bank - and i absolutly love it literally cant fault it apart from the battery life. Great phone well worth it. Oh and i didn't put it in the pocket with my keys on purpose guess i forgot they were in there.

The battery life on my iPhone 5 is great.

dk

911 GTS Cab
The battery life on my iPhone 5 is great.
If you call having to charge a phone every night as it might not last the full second day, then yes, it's great, my work blackberry gets charged every 4-5 days, and that's with everything turned on including push.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
As you know your work blackberry is bigger, has a smaller screen, and less power hungry internals.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
If you call having to charge a phone every night as it might not last the full second day, then yes, it's great, my work blackberry gets charged every 4-5 days, and that's with everything turned on including push.

I was comparing it to my previous 4S/4 not a blackberry!

Besides I can't see the problem having to charge it every evening? unless you live in the woods.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
DK is just being DK.

I like my 5. Best iPhone yet for me. Brings the magic feeling back i had with the iPhone.

Cupra
The battery is my only complaint too. I used to get two days out of my old 4, but won't get more than 1 and a bit with the 5.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Hey, dont get me wrong, I love my iPhone 5, but it's no different to my 3GS or 4 for battery life, daily charging required, which is fine until you go away for a night or are away for work and forget your cable, then you're stuffed.

its the only problem I have with the phone, battery is poor. And I don't think a bold 9700 is bigger than an iPhone, thinker than a 5, but still smaller.

my 5 certainly doesnt have a better noticeable battery life than the 4 though, if it did I'd be able to go comfortably 2 days without charge, which i can do if I am at home on wifi and don't actually use the phone for 2 days.

Worse than iPhone 4?

I get 3-4 days from my 4 with light use. Of course if I was using it to jerk off 24/7 then I'm sure a day would kill it, but because I'm an adult, I carry charging apparatus anyway.

People who whine about smartphone batteries are, in my experience, massively naive, and hugely unprepared for life. Just get an 8310?

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
droped mine off a conservatory roof twice and has only a couple small marks on it round the edge, may have been lucky though and only had a slimline case on it.

not giving a f**k as its a work phone ftw

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I'm not moving to a new iPhone from my 4s until they can produce something that is radically improved. The 5 isn't enough of a step up in my opinion, not compared to the latest android and windows phones. I'll be sticking with apple because stuff just works, effortlessly. iPad, iPhone & apple tv for me, but that's it for now.

Im not even bothered about the move to a new iPad from my iPad 2, progress seems to have stopped in my opinion.

If you have an iPad 2, then progress has definitely stopped. They are are awful, hateful devices. The screen is so bad that it actually makes me feel a bit uneasy.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Worse than iPhone 4?

I get 3-4 days from my 4 with light use. Of course if I was using it to jerk off 24/7 then I'm sure a day would kill it, but because I'm an adult, I carry charging apparatus anyway.

People who whine about smartphone batteries are, in my experience, massively naive, and hugely unprepared for life. Just get an 8310?
3-4 days? do you have 3g turned off or something?

if i don't use mine at all it will last 2 days absolute max, when i turn data and 3g off when i go abroad, then i can make it last 3 days , 4 at a push

RS6 C7
If you have an iPad 2, then progress has definitely stopped. They are are awful, hateful devices. The screen is so bad that it actually makes me feel a bit uneasy.

I had an iPad 2 then a mini and iv'e just bought the retina, I honestly think the difference is minimal. It's not my eyes either. Several people agree with me.

My battery life on my 5 is pretty bad, I just scrape a day out of it, I do use it more i wouldn't say i use it excessively. Screen brightness is medium. I think i got slightly more out of my 4S as it would often make it to almost the end of the next day.

Focus
I thought only girls put cases on their phones?

FYI, my sister has an iPhone 5, with a case (of course, as she's a girl) and it's chipped at the top.

LOL at minimal difference between Retina and non-Retina. Maybe if you need a cane to walk.

dk, no I'd don't have 3G enabled as I'm roaming, but WiFi and Bluetooth are on.

RS6 C7
LOL at minimal difference between Retina and non-Retina. Maybe if you need a cane to walk.

dk, no I'd don't have 3G enabled as I'm roaming, but WiFi and Bluetooth are on.
My honest opinion!

I was disappointed when i got the retina as you had beefed it up so much!

Maybe it's the content i'm viewing? Link me to some decent quality content so i can compare.